• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Using a brand name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of writing a novel. Would it be okay to mention a product by its brand name, i.e., Tabasco or Dr. Pepper? Any help is appreciated. :)

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
In general, it's fine. There might be some problems if you show the product poisoning people, I suppose.

There've been several threads about this in the past. If you use the search facility at the top of the forum, you can probably find them and read about the finer points.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
I asked this same question about a week or so ago. If you search for posts using my screen name Kathl33n, you'll find it. Unfortunately, I am not forum savvy yet and don't know how to post a link.

I got wonderful responses if you'd like to check them out. :)

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! I wasn't sure if there was a previous post with a similar question. I'll look it up. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's fine. You don't want your novel to read like a catalogue, but real people use real prodcuts, and the choice of products can indicate personality. A character who prefers a Grape Nehi and a Moon Pie is going to be very different from a character who would rather have Dom Perignon and Beluga cavier.

Cosmic

Anomaly
Registered
Reaction score
This question has occurred to me as well. Rather than take any chances, I will usually go the politically correct way and just invent a new name which could be associated with the product. Some might balk at this, but if you've traveled enough, you'll find that 'Dr.' on any soda pretty much means it's a local version of Dr. Pepper (Mountain X, Cola, so on and so forth). Word association, friends! It can be quite fun. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.