• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

The Balancing Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightrunnermat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horseracinghottie.com
I am not sure if this has been addressed before, if so, please forgive me. I am a full time freelance writer for a number of different websites. I am also in the midst of completing my first novel. I just wanted to see if anyone had any stories about balancing both writing as a career and writing for themselves. I tend to go in spurts of being super-motivated and being burned out. One thing that I have found that tends to keep me motivated, however, is interacting with other writers. This site is a great resource--there are also many inspirational blogs out there. I just wanted to see if there were any other tips or tricks out there that I could use to increase my productivity.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
Everybody has their own limits. I had to learn to take breaks and schedule down time. I don't write on the weekends, take an hour nap before my kids get home from school and get to bed by 10:30 every night, I also take up to a week off between big writing projects.

Adding these basic down times helps keep my mind fresh.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I d</SPAN>on't know what to tell you except to find your burnout point and don't pass it. I've been in your situation, and I learned that the only way I could get everything done was to avoid trying to do too much of anything.

I learned there's a certain number of hours I can't pass without eventually burning out. I might go three or four, or seven weeks writing past this number of hours, but it always meant certain burnout somewhere down the road.

So I learned to say no. I reserved a given number of hours for nonfiction, and a given number of hours for my own fiction, and no matter what, I didn't exceed those hours.

Only fiction deadlines changed this, and I did everything possible not to let them back me into a corner.

It is a balancing act, and learning to say no is the best way to keep your balance.

knightrunnermat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horseracinghottie.com
Thank you, everyone. After reading these, I think my problem is that I've taken on too much. If I limit the amount of web content I write in the future, hopefully this will enable me to keep from burning out when it comes to the writing that really matters: my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.