Have a question on formatting for e-publishing

azacher

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm thinking of e-pulblishing with Kindle and I was going over what it takes to e-pulblish, but I don't see anywhere where it says about line spacing. Should it be formatted in single space or double space? Please let me know. Thanks, Alan

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is supposed to be posted in questions and answer or the tech thread. Definitely not here. :)

chekzchevov

soup
Registered
Reaction score
Yeahhhhh, wrong forum, but hey- Welcome regardless!

Oh wait, you have 11 posts already. Wtf are you doing in here.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
You'd want to re-ask this question in the e-publishing sub-forum. Meanwhile, welcome!

:welcome: :TheWave: :welcome:
:hooray: :partyguy: :PartySmil :banana: :banana: :Jump: :banana: :wag:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porting over to E-Publishing. Everyone keep your hands and feet inside the thread while it's in motion. Thank you.

writerjohnb

Scribbler at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnbushore.com
Single space. It's a book, just not on paper. Spacing, indents, chapter headings, etc. are the same as hard-copy books.

You can download samples from Kindle, Nook, Smashwords, etc. and see how they're formatted.

JohnB

davidw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liberwriter.com
Users can control the line spacing (and font size) on the Kindle, so you don't really get a say in the matter past a certain point.

azacher

Registered
Reaction score
Have question about formatting for epublishing

Hi all,
Please help. I'm trying to epublish a book for Kindle, and I can't get it right. It looks good, except that when I try to publish it, some of the paragraphs are fine and some or midway across the page. I'm doing this in 2011 word. Could that be the problem? Help. Thanks. Alan Zacher

derbytown

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Have you tried pasting it into Notepad to remove the formatting and then back into a new Word document? Keeping paragraphs in alignment in Kindle can be a problem, so you could always do them block instead. I've been reading up on this because I'm thinking of going with Kindle for my next novel.

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
Hi all,
Please help. I'm trying to epublish a book for Kindle, and I can't get it right. It looks good, except that when I try to publish it, some of the paragraphs are fine and some or midway across the page. I'm doing this in 2011 word. Could that be the problem? Help. Thanks. Alan Zacher

Azacher - Step away from Word . . . You should learn a little HTML and it does not require a geek-friendly brain to get the basics. Then you can convert to any format and get a clean result.

This man, Guido Henkel, is invaluable.
http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-pride-in-your-ebook-formatting/

Even if you have no idea what he is saying in the first few sections, later he outlines a step by step process.

(and if you send me a pm, I'll send you the HTML version of fiance, facade, etc.)

azacher

Registered
Reaction score
Meira,
Please forgive me, but I don't know what a pm is. How would I get in touch with you? Alan.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meira,
Please forgive me, but I don't know what a pm is. How would I get in touch with you? Alan.

PM means Private Message. Click User CP and then click Private Message

I'm porting this thread to the E Publishing Forum. Please keep your hands and feet inside the thread while it's in motion. Thank you.

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I second Meira. Leaving Word behind is a must! You'll need it for Smashwords, but you need to use HTML to make a good looking ebook. I came to this board totally HTML illiterate, went to those Guido Henkel pages Meira recommends, asked a few questions on the tech board and I never looked back.

It's not as hard or as scary as it seems at first! I promise!

Library4Science

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.library4science.com
You can get almost all the formatting correct without going to HTML. Use styles for controlling all the formatting except embedded bold and italic. If your manuscript doesn't have a lot of embedded bold and/or italic text then a copy and paste into notepad followed by a copy and paste back into a new word doc is easiest.

If you still have problems save your manuscript in Word 2007 format and send it to me as an email attachment and I will take a look at it.

[email protected]