Submission Predicament

RHuszar

Time is a gift.
Registered
Reaction score
I need some guidance. Mind if I lay out my situation?

Okay. I've been querying for a few months now. Two months ago, I got a bite from Agent 1 who asked for my full, which I sent promptly. I haven't heard anything from them, but it's been too early to nudge. So I kept querying.

Two days ago, I got another full request from Agent 2 and I emailed my manuscript to them right away. She then emailed me back saying that their policy for reading fulls (not partials) is that they get a two week exclusive. I replied saying that I couldn't technically grant the exclusive, since this other agent already has the manuscript, but I would stop submitting for two weeks to give her time to read it. I haven't heard back from her yet.

Now today, Agent 3, from an older batch of queries, responded to me asking for a partial with hopes of upgrading to a full if she likes it. Here's where I'm stuck. According to Agent 2's policy, simultaneous partials are okay with them, and I really don't want to lose any opportunities, but what if she wants to upgrade before the two weeks are up? Should I tell Agent 3 that my full is being seen exclusively? Will she wait for two weeks? Am I technically in a loophole because Agent 1 has my manuscript anyway? Am I completely over-thinking this? Have I screwed myself over?

Any thoughts, friends?

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
I need some guidance. Mind if I lay out my situation?

Okay. I've been querying for a few months now. Two months ago, I got a bite from Agent 1 who asked for my full, which I sent promptly. I haven't heard anything from them, but it's been too early to nudge. So I kept querying.

Two days ago, I got another full request from Agent 2 and I emailed my manuscript to them right away. She then emailed me back saying that their policy for reading fulls (not partials) is that they get a two week exclusive. I replied saying that I couldn't technically grant the exclusive, since this other agent already has the manuscript, but I would stop submitting for two weeks to give her time to read it. I haven't heard back from her yet.

Now today, Agent 3, from an older batch of queries, responded to me asking for a partial with hopes of upgrading to a full if she likes it. Here's where I'm stuck. According to Agent 2's policy, simultaneous partials are okay with them, and I really don't want to lose any opportunities, but what if she wants to upgrade before the two weeks are up? Should I tell Agent 3 that my full is being seen exclusively? Will she wait for two weeks? Am I technically in a loophole because Agent 1 has my manuscript anyway? Am I completely over-thinking this? Have I screwed myself over?

Any thoughts, friends?

I don't think you've screwed yourself over, really. Though I never think authors should grant exclusives. You should have told Agent 2 you couldn't grant the exclusive and leave it at that. (What are they going to do, say 'nevermind'? If they do, they wouldn't be an agency I'd want anyway.)

Go ahead and send the partial. If that agent then requests the full, let them know you have a full exclusive that ends on x-date and will send it to them immediately. If they liked it enough to go from partial to full, they'll wait for it.

Good luck!

RHuszar

Time is a gift.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks ether! I know exclusives are dangerous and I didn't really want to, but I thought since it was their standard procedure and she gave me a time frame it would be okay. More or less. I had been on the rejection train for so long, I was ready to jump at anything.

Thanks again! Printing off the partial as a type! :)

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
You sent those queries out before hearing from agent 2 and agent 1 has had two months to respond to your full. So I don't think you're deceiving anyone or that any agent should hold it against you. Go for it. Agent 3 is not going to be very understanding if you queried him/her, the agent asked for a partial and you said, "Sorry, I can't do that." That would be the worst move.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I've had to tell an agent that someone else had an exclusive on my full before. The agent was very understanding. (Although it did convince me even moreso than before than exclusives are a bad deal for writers.)

RHuszar

Time is a gift.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! This is super helpful. I get so worried with all these rules and protocols. I don't want to ruin my chances by making a dumb move.

trirae

Registered
Reaction score
Website
triciaclasen.com
You know what? Congrats! That's a wonderful predicament to be in. I think you'll be likely be fine, and I have been in similar situations, and most of the time agents seem pretty understanding of it. Good luck!

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I can only think of a few truly dumb moves.

1.Querying a book that isn't done.
2.Querying a book that isn't yours.
3. Accepting an offer of representation and neglecting to tell other agents with your full about it.

If you're a sane, reasonable person, you're already a step ahead of many of the aspiring authors they've dealt with. :)

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your exciting predicament, I would love to have your predicament. :) Good luck!