Two Escudo Doubloons

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That's something that you could easily hve found from google. They were dated.

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
That's something that you could easily hve found from google. They were dated.

I did search and found a few of circa 1650-1660 two escudo doubloons and collector's notes with no mention of the date. In fact most of what I found was regarding fool-your-friends pirate gold or Ebay postings which stated a date. However, we could not actually see it in the photo. You must be a much better searcher than I or my crack staff. I'm extremely sorry to have taken up your time, but I just want to be sure as I know only a fool would believe everything they read on Google.

I found plenty of dates on doubloons later than 1700 ... In fact If you would be so kind as to direct me to a 1650-1660 dated two escudo doubloon, I'd dance in the street in front of my house in this GD rain.

Last edited:

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
I did search and found a few of circa 1650-1660 two escudo doubloons and collector's notes with no mention of the date. In fact most of what I found was regarding fool-your-friends pirate gold or Ebay postings which stated a date. However, we could not actually see it in the photo. You must be a much better searcher than I or my crack staff. I'm extremely sorry to have taken up your time, but I just want to be sure as I know only a fool would believe everything they read on Google.

I found plenty of dates on doubloons later than 1700 ... In fact If you would be so kind as to direct me to a 1650-1660 dated two escudo doubloon, I'd dance in the street in front of my house in this GD rain.
Not sure how you treat information from Wikipedia, but the article linked to here indicates that:

1651 pillars-and-waves type

After the debasement scandals in Peru, cross type cobs were replaced by a type known as pillars and waves in English and as Perulera in Spanish. These hand struck cobs, like the cross type, degraded in quality as time passed. Obv.: a cross with lions and castles (similar to the 1572 reverse). Rev.: a pair of pillars with waves below intersected by three horizontal lines of text, forming a tic-tac-toe design, the top line with the mintmark, the value, and the assayer's initial (e.g. L 8 M = Lima, 8 reales, assayer M), the middle line PLVS VLTR[A] (abbreviated on the smaller coins), the bottom line the assayer's initial, the last two numerals of the year, and the mintmark (e.g. M 88 L = assayer M, 1688, Lima).
Struck at the Bogotá, Potosí, Cartagena, and Lima mints from 1651 on. Even after the introduction of milled coinage in 1732, the Potosí mint continued to produce cobs of this type (the last in 1773). These cobs were generally accepted, but there were still occasional periods of debasement, and Peruvian coinage was usually considered inferior.

At least it's a start.

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
Not sure how you treat information from Wikipedia, but the article linked to here indicates that:

At least it's a start.

That's great, thank you very much. For me, Wikipedia has usually been a good source, but occasionally I'm stuck with conflicting facts. Trying to find semi-detailed information of coins from the mint a Cartagena, Nuevo Grenada in their last year of operation (1655) has been next to impossible for me, now I'm settling for any two escudo from that decade.