PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower dropped

Cosmic
08-10-2011, 09:27 PM
So after checking around, I see that the thread has not yet been made.
http://www.darktowermovies.com/

Once again, King's DT film adaptations have been set aside. Happy? Sad? Opinions? Anyone? ...Bueler?

Personally, I feel rather relieved. This is a series of tales of monumental proportions, causing me to cringe when I first heard '3 films, +TV series'.
What are your thoughts?

gothicangel
08-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Well if Ron Howard's latest offering Dilemma was anything to go by, the world should be sighing in relief.

Cranky
08-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Mixed feelings on this. I'd love to see the Dark Tower in film, but I am always leery of adaptations of his work. And like you, cosmic, I wasn't sure about their plan of 3 movies plus miniseries on television. Seemed like a too-ambitious and scattered plan.

Some things should probably just be left alone. This is one of them. IMO, of course.

DavidZahir
08-11-2011, 01:19 AM
Mixed feelings, yeah.

Switch-Phase
08-11-2011, 01:29 AM
I get that the Dark Tower series was good, but.. I guess I just didn't care when I tried to read it. It was like all my "dark and mysterious" friends were raving about how "dark and mysterious" this series was.. But in the end it felt like I was reading the same recycled character from other books.

I guess a movie adaptation could be good, but due to my apathy about the books, I'm not too upset they're being set aside.

defcon6000
08-11-2011, 04:34 AM
I'd watch the movies if they fix the ending to Dark Tower series. :D

Otherwise, oh well.

Jcomp
08-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Make it a series on either HBO, F/X or AMC. I think that's the best way to go.

thothguard51
08-11-2011, 05:41 AM
I struggled through the first book and haven't touched the rest so I really have no opinion on if it gets made into a movie...

crunchyblanket
08-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd love to have seen it as a miniseries rather than a film. I'm disappointed, but hopefully someone else will pick it up and do a good job.

AVS
08-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I think they should lighten it up. "The muppets go to the Dark Tower." Kermit would play Roland Deschain.

There could be songs and everything.

No?

seun
08-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Mixed feelings. If they do it, they need to do it right. I can't see it as a cinema release series of films which leaves TV. I'm with Jcomp.

crunchyblanket
08-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Make it a series on either HBO, F/X or AMC. I think that's the best way to go.

My first thought was HBO too. I think they'd handle it beautifully.

Her Dark Star
08-11-2011, 03:06 PM
While in theory I'd love to see the Dark Tower on the big screen I'm really not sure it would possible to do it well. The books are a weird series, I love them but I can fully understand why others don't (I'm not a huge King fan normally myself) and I'm not sure it would translate all that well. Not mention that an awful lot of the movie/tv adaptations of his works have not been that great.