PDA

View Full Version : Continue query on requests?

kidcharlemagne
08-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Let's say you send out 15 queries. If you were to receive a read request early in the query campaign e.g Day 1, would you stop querying and wait for the other 14 responses to come in (or not) or would you keep querying until you had several read requests for your MS/Proposal?

Becca C.
08-10-2011, 02:55 AM
I would keep querying until you have offers of representation. Don't stop sending queries (unless you give someone an exclusive read).

hillaryjacques
08-10-2011, 03:41 AM
I'd recommend waiting until a few more requests come in. If you keep getting requests, keep querying. If you only get one or two bites out of that wave, consider revising your query letter.

AlishaS
08-10-2011, 03:56 AM
I'd keep querying until you get an offer of rep :) You can slow down, but there is no sense sitting and waiting for an agent to read (they can take days, week, months, or never respond)

Chumala
08-10-2011, 04:13 AM
Keep querying, then when you get two or more who are willing to fight to the death to represent you. Then you should stop. :)

Also BIG CONGRATZ on the success! :)

kidcharlemagne
08-10-2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks guys, so far after 2 days it is 1 request and 2 rejections :-) Rest are non-responders. The request was very quick, within 20 min. I have honed the query too. Probably time to down tools now and wait a bit. I'm out to some good agents/agencies.

Becca C.
08-10-2011, 04:59 AM
Thanks guys, so far after 2 days it is 1 request and 2 rejections :-) Rest are non-responders.

Probably not -- it's only been two days ;) Give them a couple weeks before you count them as non-responders.

kidcharlemagne
08-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Probably not -- it's only been two days ;) Give them a couple weeks before you count them as non-responders.

Yes, you are right Becca so far after 3 days it is 5 polite/form rejections and 1 request to submit.

This is a new paradigm for me. I'm really having to grit my teeth here especially when I see things like "allow 4-6 weeks to respond" to a query!!! I'm used to the film world where basically if you send out 20-30 queries then, provided you have a good query, you'll get a bunch of replies already in the first day and by the end of 3-5 days the majority of people will have responded unless they are on vacation. Basically if no-one responds by the end of 5 days you are dead in the water. It seems that in the publishing world things take a lot longer. (EDIT: Ironically, I have just received a partial request while writing this reply so now it is 2 requests within 3 days. LOL)