editors

Status
Not open for further replies.

booker c

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing my first book. (what a surprize here) It is a non-fiction novel and a friend who edits a newspaper has offered to edit the book before pitching. She is asking for $6 per 8.5 x 11 page plus 10% of my pre-expense earnings if the book is published. Editing will include grammar, punctuation, style and also query letter, etc. Is this the customary amount? Please help this newbie figure this out. Thank you.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[disclaimer: I conduct editing and proofreading for a contract service] You can shop around to other editing services and compare prices. $6 per page is about 1.5 to 2 cents per word (assuming double spaced pages). However, most editing relationships I know about don't ask for a percentage of the earnings; it's a flat fee for the job and the business relationship ends when the edited MS is returned to the author. What does this mean, anyway? Of the advance? Of all royalties?

I would also want to know (if I were you) what formal training and experience your friend has with BOOK editing and query packages. What type of editing does she do for the newspaper? Does this qualify her to edit a non-fiction book (I'm assuming this is a memoir). For a typical book, you're talking well over $1000 and you should consider this as carefully as any purchase of this size.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Welcome to AW!

Two things: First, either your book is NF or it's a novel, which is fiction. :)

Second: $6/page is quite reasonable (I'm a freelance copyeditor). However, I've never heard of a copyeditor wanting 10% off the top of any earnings. Never.

Third, you should really learn how to copyedit for yourself. If/when you land an agent/book deal, your agent and publisher will expect that. There are many excellent grammar how-to books at the library. It's more than worth the time to master that skill.

Same for query letters: It's a miserable job, but we all have to learn how to do it.

Hang around the forums, check out Share your Work, esp. the NF and Query Letter Hell boards. You must have 50 posts to start a thread in SYW, but you can read and comment and learn how things are done right now.

Good luck!

booker c

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Callalily, I do understand the novel/non-fiction genre but I am hesitant to classify it as a memoir since every celebrity is writing one now and how can I compete being a no-body in the business? I saw the non-fiction novel genre on a writer's website and I really appreciate your feedback and look forward to any advice you may have. I feel that you may say my book just has to stand above the others and that would be very true so I am giving it everything I've got and more. Hence, the editor friend but I just didn't know about the 10% request.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dave Eggers was quite successful with What is the What?, which is non-fiction written as a novel. His other major works, Zeitoun and A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius are both very novel-ish non-fiction (and both very good).

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If you go in calling something non-fiction a novel, you're going to get flagged as someone who doesn't know their genre. I've seen writers use 'faction' (for something with a few changed facts, but mostly true) or novelized non-fiction (same thing, but more "based on a true story"). But "non-fiction novel" is about as big a red flag as "fiction novel" when approaching agents or publishers.

And yes, it's always a problem trying to convince someone your life story is worth putting out money for, but no matter what you call your book, that issue is still going to be there. The celebrity books are still going to be there. You're still going to have to compete with them on the same shelf.

(Also, listen to callalilly, a 10% commission is almost what an agent would receive. Editors generally work on a flat fee.)

booker c

Registered
Reaction score
One more thing, my book is also true crime, so would it be smarter to pitch true crime rather than a memoir?

booker c

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cyai. It's the story of my life (memoir) and an event that happened during my life that made national news and was directly related to my family and me (true crime).

ViolettaVane

I'm living in a silent film
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solaceames.com
My cowriter and I were in the lucky position of getting free professional editing. We traded off favors with a friend we found from our fanfiction writing community. She edited our book as we wrote it; we're offering to do the same for hers when she writes it. If you learn how to edit well, you could eventually do the same thing.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
booker,

I have no idea what rates might be, and I would not pay for editing myself. That said, I write gooder than a lot of peoples :)tongue) and I'm fairly confident I can clean my own mess.

If you are not so confident, there is nothing wrong with that, but I would highly, HIGHLY recommend shopping around and looking at your friend's "credentials". I know I've seen Chris around here, for example, which doesn't say anything about the quality of his work but at least tells me he is serious about writing, and I know he does his own writing--there is a difference between that and a random off the street. The other consideration is one of the quickest ways to end a friendship is through business transaction--is this something you WANT to do? different expectations on each end can make things go very bad very quickly, so make sure you are both on the same page if you do use your friend.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
"Non-fiction novel" is an outdated term. It's what Truman Capote used to describe In Cold Blood--a novelistic treatment of an actual occurrence. The "non-fiction novel" was non-fiction, not fiction.

Writing a novel inspired by actual events, as Dave Eggers did in What Is the What, is something a bit different. What Is the What is fiction inspired by the stories told to Eggers by a child soldier.

In any case, I think that pitching your manuscript as "true crime" is exactly the right thing to do. As someone involved in a headline-making crime, you will have a lot more traction in the true crime market than in the fiction market.

On your friend's suggestion: It is very unusual, to say the least, for a copy editor to ask for a percentage of royalties. You're already looking at paying her something along the order of $2,400 up front--which is a reasonable but not remarkably low fee for the kind of editing your friend will be providing--so a royalty-sharing agreement seems like gouging to me.

If you feel you need an editor (and someone who plans to write one book about one headline-making event that happened to them is just the sort of person for whom it's worth hiring an editor--people who plan to write for a living should, as I say ad nauseam here, learn to edit themselves), I think you could shop around for a better price and/or someone with more directly related credentials and experience (i.e., someone with experience editing true crime books for major publishers).

I have edited for newspapers. I have edited books. It's a somewhat different skill set. Also, there are particular conventions and narrative approaches in the true crime market, with which people who have edited previous books in the field will be familiar and with which your friend will likely not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.