PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a non-fiction book about the French Wars of Religion?

samw11
08-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I am hoping someone can recommend a book, Ideally in English, which provides an in depth study of the French Wars of Religion (1562-98).

I've have looked online and found some good resources, but I was after a non-fiction book which covers the wars in depth. A lot of the online resources seem to be either focussed on one aspect or give an overview of the situation.

I've tried libraries, amazon, ebay, second hand book shops, new book shops (you get the idea) but without some idea of authors or titles I'm struggling. I have seen one which was recommend (from an old AW forum) *"Beneath the Cross: Catholics and Huguenots in Sixteenth-Century Paris" By Barbar Diefendorf but I am struggling to find a copy & it appears to be out of print.

Could anyone recommend any others please?

Lil
08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
This is not my field, so I can't recommend any specific books. However, the topic is esoteric enough that I suspect you will need a university library. I don't know how things work in England, but here in New York, a great many university libraries have their catalogs online, and the books can be borrowed through the local public library.

samw11
08-09-2011, 06:23 PM
This is not my field, so I can't recommend any specific books. However, the topic is esoteric enough that I suspect you will need a university library. I don't know how things work in England, but here in New York, a great many university libraries have their catalogs online, and the books can be borrowed through the local public library.

Thanks - that's an ace idea! I shall have a browse!