Uptil how long can i expect a response to a query?

rohitwow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi . I was just wondering, is it practical to expect a favourable response from an agent at the end of their stipulated period? i.e. If the agent says 'upto 3 months', is it possible to get a 'yes' after waiting that long? Can it take longer at times? Not that I haven't sent queries to multiple agents. Just, don't want the hope for my book with an agent that sounded 'just right' to lose ground with passing days...

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
The waiting time is more dependent on an agent's workload than the content of your query. Once the agent reads your query, odds are he or she will make a decision fairly quickly. My guess is that if you haven't gotten a response yet, it's because there are a lot of queries in line ahead of yours.

I'm in the waiting boat right there with you, so I totally understand how you feel.

rohitwow

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Katrina!!! You made me feel a whole lot better :)

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Requests can come at any time. I just got a request today from a query I sent in May. The agency website states that no response after six weeks should be taken as a rejection, so this was unexpected. (And I already have an agent, so it was too late.)

However, you shouldn't wait around hoping for a positive reply. Send out more queries. Rework your query if you think it might need it.

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
If you're serious about querying (that is, not just testing the waters), I recommend putting together an annotated list of all possible agents for your book. This will make it easy for you to send out 3-5 queries a week, on whatever day is most convenient, no matter how you're feeling about the process. The more queries out, the more chances you hit the right desk. Obsessing over any one query wastes psychic energy that should be going into your next book.

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
It depends how good your story is. If you have a great story, I've heard reports of getting a responce the next day. I think Nick Sparks got his first query letter replied to in a day or so, turns out that is his agent now. :)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
No, it really doesn't depend on how good your story is - it depends on when the agent gets to your query in the queue. If the agent is well organised and processes each day's queries at the end of the day, you'll get a quick response - if he/she is always behind, it could take weeks for your submission to get looked at. I've heard of people getting rejections practically by return of email!

FWIW, my agent responded within 90 minutes - but then I sent my email in the evening, which is when he seems to do his submissions readings, on the first day his agency re-opened to queries.

It's the luck of the draw, seriously.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
There's no baseline. I've had requests in minutes because the agent happened to open his email at lunch and mine popped in while he was reading, so he opened it.

I've also had them show up 9-10 months after querying because the agent was backlogged and she only read things in order of receipt.

rohitwow

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. So I think I better start work on my next book soon. Who knows, mid-way I just might get a deal for my first :). Thanks evry1!!!