Proper Manner of Address for a Woman in the late 19th Century

lilly1326001

Mmm... On a coffee high
Registered
Reaction score
If one did not know a lady's (late teens to early 30s) name in the 1890s–1900s, but sought to address her politely, what would the manner of address be?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
English, we presume? Madam, or the more colloquial ma'am would have been socially acceptable. Were she inclined to offer more info, it might become Miss... or Mrs...

lilly1326001

Mmm... On a coffee high
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. And that would work in America during that time period as well?

Soul

Pocket-Sized Leopard
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have a book on this subject, I'll come back when I find it...that's on the tail of the Victorian Era.

Edit: it seems My lady would also be appropriate.

If she is being addressed by a man, you'll want him to mind his P's and Q's sharply.

if he is offering a kind, gentlemanly service such as assistance crossing the street, or into her carriage, or to hold a door, he might speak a little more.

he would be wary of how he should make the introduction, if he chooses to risk one.

"Christian names" AKA first names...are only used in the family circle, not by people not married or related to the woman.

She would never say "Call me Edith" for example.

Also I suggest ordering this book since it's the meat and tatos of the rules that govern polite society in that era:

I have it and others in my collection, but this is an excellent quick-reference.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=tMZBTtHxOOu20AGEls3ACQ&ved=0CFEQ8wIwAA

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I'd agree. If in doubt "Madam" is pretty much always appropriately polite for addressing a grown woman of any age and class until you know more about her name, title, marital status etc.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a young woman of rank or just a young woman? Since you're asking about 1890-1900's America, I suggest taking a look at the Howell Living History Farm's website. They recreate farm life in the Pleasant Valley area (Titusville / Lambertville) of New Jersey in exactly this time period. I'm sure they have an email address to contact them. But, more importantly, they have several articles on local life (i.e. school, newspaper articles or at least quotes, etc.) in that area that should be helpful to you. Plus they break this down by month as to what would be happening in the area, with an emphasis on local life and farming since there were still several active working farms in the area at the time. If you're in the area, I would suggest making a stop over there. It's an actual working farm of the time period, run by the Park System. They'd love to answer questions for you. It wouldn't be the first time they've done this for writers/media.