PDA

View Full Version : aggressive social media publicity campaigns

Perks
08-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I had someone contact me, out of the blue, via a tenuous connection on a social media site. This person had a "Buy my book! And review it, and tweet it, and like it on Facebook!" message in the chamber (and I imagine, an entire bandolier of pre-fabbed pseudo-friendly advertisements weighing him down like Chewbacca) with his PR bazooka pointed at my head from the moment I responded to the original link request.

I'm sure this person has worked very hard, but this is incredibly off-putting.

Have you ever responded negatively to a like-me, tweet-me, link-me assault or is it in the category of kicking puppies?

scarletpeaches
08-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Aggressive promotion on social networking sites is the perfect way to ensure I will not buy your book.

There are those who are about nothing but the product. They don't engage with 'friends'; they just see potential customers.

Such authors aren't human; they're conveyor belts.

firedrake
08-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Have you ever responded negatively to a like-me, tweet-me, link-me assault or is it in the category of kicking puppies?

I haven't but I sure as hell have wanted to.

CheshireCat
08-08-2011, 12:35 AM
I ignore them.

You want to advertise your book on the various social media sites, cool, your business (maybe literally), but if somebody sends me a friend request and then promptly posts a note advertising a book or service or else sends me a note asking me to link to their site, the advert gets deleted without comment and I NEVER post links to other writers' sites or pages except friends and people I've decided on my own to help promote.

I'm sure your mileage will vary.

Shadow_Ferret
08-08-2011, 12:37 AM
I've never gotten one, but I wouldn't be happy if I did. I don't view Social Media as a captive audience for spam, I view them as my friends. I think I'd block a person like that.

blacbird
08-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Because I completely ignore the entire "social media" phenomenon, I'm immune to this sort of thing.

caw

ChaosTitan
08-08-2011, 12:40 AM
There's nothing more annoying than accepting a friend request on Goodreads, and then moments later receiving a private message telling me all about their book and won't I please buy/read it? DON'T DO THAT!

There's nothing more annoying than people on Twitter who consistently post "Here's a link to my book, buy it!" type tweets. I don't mind self-promo on Twitter. I do a lot of self-promo on it, myself. Talk about your books. But for frak's sake, don't fill your stream with pleas for people to buy the book.

There is a way to use social media to your advantage, but blasting people with their PR Bazooka (I'm so stealing this, Perks!) is not the way to go about promoting your work. All it does is annoy potential readers into ignoring you.

firedrake
08-08-2011, 12:45 AM
I try not to fill my tweet stream with 'Buy my book' pleas. I have an author page set up on FB for that. I've blocked one or two writers on Twitter because

(a) They never engaged with anyone, they just tweeted about their latest release or how the characters in their latest book was driving them mad.
(b) some link with a Q and A type thing where I'd get a tweet every two minutes saying @soandso has just answered suchandsuch a question.
So fucking what?

To me social media is a two way street for writers. It's not just a promotional tool, it's for talking to people about other stuff apart from writing.

Perks
08-08-2011, 01:00 AM
There have been a numer of AWers who have handled the Facebook Fan Page thing very tactfully. They create the page and put a notice of it in their status report, casual and friendly-like, instead of kicking off an messaging avalanche with a shout of Become My Fan!

Stacia Kane
08-08-2011, 01:06 AM
I ignore them.

You want to advertise your book on the various social media sites, cool, your business (maybe literally), but if somebody sends me a friend request and then promptly posts a note advertising a book or service or else sends me a note asking me to link to their site, the advert gets deleted without comment and I NEVER post links to other writers' sites or pages except friends and people I've decided on my own to help promote.

I'm sure your mileage will vary.

Ugh, yes! And me, too. I don't waste my time replying to tell them I'm dropping them and why. I just drop them. And I assume they don't care anyway, because their interest in me had nothing to do with me; I'm not a person to them, just a potentially open wallet.

There's nothing more annoying than accepting a friend request on Goodreads, and then moments later receiving a private message telling me all about their book and won't I please buy/read it? DON'T DO THAT!

There's nothing more annoying than people on Twitter who consistently post "Here's a link to my book, buy it!" type tweets. I don't mind self-promo on Twitter. I do a lot of self-promo on it, myself. Talk about your books. But for frak's sake, don't fill your stream with pleas for people to buy the book.

There is a way to use social media to your advantage, but blasting people with their PR Bazooka (I'm so stealing this, Perks!) is not the way to go about promoting your work. All it does is annoy potential readers into ignoring you.

So 110% this, yes.

I approved a new Goodreads friend not long ago, and got an immediate private message, which always makes me nervous. Sure enough, it was a plug. But this one was asking me if they could send me a free copy of their self-published book to review.

I replied asking why they wanted *me* to review it; had they seen other reviews I've done?

Funnily enough, I never got a reply...grrr. Bad enough for them to do it at all, but it's downright insulting when they're asking for reviews/blurbs/to guest on my blog or whatever when they don't even know who I am and haven't read a word I've written.

I got a blurb request from a writer once and I was going to do it, until the writer in question started informing me and a whole bunch of other people on Twitter that s/he had never read my books and knew nothing about them. So...why should I read yours, then? So you just asked me because I was someone whose name you'd heard, and you don't really care who I am or what I write? You want me to plug your book for you but can't even pretend to like mine, or at least keep your mouth shut and not inform the world that you don't even know what mine are about?

I don't appreciate people trying to use me. :rant:

Karen Junker
08-08-2011, 01:12 AM
What's really funny to me is that I've received several friend requests on FB from people who must be AWers or their friends (the only friends we have in common are other AWers) and I don't know who they are because they use a different name on FB.

So if you want me to be your friend, it helps to tell me how I know you or what your AW user name is.

I have several writer friends on FB and some of them constantly talk about their latest release -- I just skim past their posts if I'm not interested. Sometimes I do order a book by an author who has friended me on FB or by someone I've 'met' through AW.

These Mean Streets
08-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Social media is just like any other social activity. You're going to run into some people who are all "Me, me, me!" or who you cringe running into.

But I suspect the majority of these modern "shock and awe" posters are just doing what they feel they're supposed to do. Even professional companies can sometimes do the same thing.

It seems to me like nowadays many people are falling prey to the message that "Anyone can be published and make lots of money now! All you have to do is promote yourself aggressively!! Now go out there and get 'em, tiger!!!""

Some are just not as good at it as others.

I guess, in the end, all you can do is be annoyed and move on.

serabeara
08-08-2011, 01:57 AM

Yes! Thank you!

I have never bought a book based off advertising. Know what makes me try a new author/book? Good reviews and an interesting synopsis. And I'll be shallow enough to admit an interesting cover plays a role too.

But not pushy sales techniques!!

My newest rule for Goodreads is you have to have more books on your shelf then friends for me to even consider accepting your friend request. Or be Ilona Andrews, but then I went crawling to her (or them, I guess) for friendship...

Harper K
08-08-2011, 02:32 AM
I haven't responded negatively yet, but I'm tempted.

My good friend's dad just published his first novel through a reputable small press. I sent him, via my friend, a bunch of links to good articles and blog posts about how to get started with social networking, book promotion, etc. Some of them about small press books in particular, where I think it's really important to build a network and know the other authors who publish through the same small press you do.

He didn't follow much of the advice in the articles. He got a Twitter account and let it sit dormant for months without a single tweet. Same thing with his blog, and his Facebook like page. I'm not annoyed specifically about him not taking the advice from the articles -- I'm annoyed that now that the book's out, I have to endure near daily e-mails and Facebook messages from both him and my friend that, yes, the book is out. No other info. Just the same "my book! it's out!" over and over.

My friend said she had tried to talk some sense into him regarding promotion, but he apparently didn't see the logic in promoting until the book was available for purchase on Amazon. He wanted to do a "big reveal" on the book's launch day. I said that, yeah, a lot of authors do a big launch day promotion, but they will have built up to it with savvy networking first.

Anyway, I just ignore their current book promo messages, but they're starting to make me pretty grumbly. I wish he'd gone about this differently.

shaldna
08-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Aggressive promotion on social networking sites is the perfect way to ensure I will not buy your book.

Same here.

Agressive social media promotion by the AUTHOR will ensure I won't look twice at it.

But massive social media promotion by READERS and FANS will mean that I might pick it up to see what all the fuss is about.

scarletpeaches
08-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm 100% with firedrake on this. Okay, we're friends, but still...I agree with her.

Too many authors don't interact with people on Twitter/FaceBook. If your tweets are all about "Me, me, me, my characters, my books, my feelings, I think, I know, I feel..." Pfft. Shove it. Let your characters keep you company; no real human being will want to.

Perks
08-08-2011, 04:25 PM
But massive social media promotion by READERS and FANS will mean that I might pick it up to see what all the fuss is about.Very true.

pdblake
08-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I just don't do social media.

Momento Mori
08-08-2011, 05:17 PM
I've just dropped someone on Twitter because every post they made was about their self-published book, links to reviews of their book, pleas for more reviews of their book and information on their book sales to date.

I follow some self-pubbed authors on Twitter who talk about their book but also Tweet about self-publishing in general so there's something interesting to read as well.

I don't mind self-promotion per se but when it's all me, me me (and now let's talk about you - what do you think about me?), I get bored. I'd rather have someone ranting about TV programmes or telling me what they had for breakfast.

MM

Anne Lyle
08-08-2011, 05:20 PM

I've never responded directly - I'm too polite - but people on Twitter whose response to a mutual follow is an immediate DM promoting their book? They get dropped and blocked. Sorry.

The people whose books I buy are the ones who say interesting/amusing things that make me think I might like their book. The people I get into silly late-night conversations with, swap writing tips with and cheer on when they're stuck. In other words, friends.

A forum signature or the occasional post with something new and noteworthy is fine - it helps to keep the books in the public eye. "Buy, buy, buy!" isn't.

Filigree
08-08-2011, 05:38 PM
I got rid of my FB account. It was a useless waste of time.

When I see a certain type of obvious SEO work on an author's or artist's website, I cringe. Clouds of keywords, certain graphics, even certain fonts and layouts -- they tell me the site designer cares only about promotion, and not the reader's experience.

I'm the type pf person who often drops books from my to-be-read list if I get tired of the promotion campaign.

wheelwriter
08-08-2011, 05:40 PM
An acquaintance of mine sent a mass email asking people to buy his book and give it a four or five star rating. Ugh. If you're going to spam me, please don't tell me how to rate your book.

Anne Lyle
08-08-2011, 05:53 PM
An acquaintance of mine sent a mass email asking people to buy his book and give it a four or five star rating. Ugh. If you're going to spam me, please don't tell me how to rate your book.

What a plonker, as we say over here.

I'm more likely to be begging my well-meaning friends not to give me a five-star review on Amazon, because I think it looks so dodgy!

Brindle MacWuff
08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
What a plonker, as we say over here.

I'm more likely to be begging my well-meaning friends not to give me a five-star review on Amazon, because I think it looks so dodgy!

Ha! I immediately disregard the first 10 five star reviews, on the assumption that the author has at least that number of mates. Or inmates. Or hostages.
For those on the eastern side of the pond, on a smouldering island off the coast of Belgium, I recommend Literary Agent Miss Daisy Frost on twitter and blog, for a very amusing look into the publishing life.

Brindle MacWuff
08-09-2011, 02:47 PM
On the other hand, if anyone wants a 5 star review on Amazon, I can be easily bought.

But if anyone befriends me on twitter and then pimps their book, they get sent a photo of my platinum blonde hairy arse.

Mark W.
08-09-2011, 02:57 PM
An occasional heads up to your upcoming books/pubbed stories is fine with me. Just don't spam me every 10 minutes.

KathleenD
08-09-2011, 05:07 PM
On the other hand, if anyone wants a 5 star review on Amazon, I can be easily bought.

But if anyone befriends me on twitter and then pimps their book, they get sent a photo of my platinum blonde hairy arse.

You know that with this crowd, you're liable to get a rush of people friending you on Twitter and pimping their book just to get the photo, right? ;)

Brindle MacWuff
08-09-2011, 10:08 PM
You know that with this crowd, you're liable to get a rush of people friending you on Twitter and pimping their book just to get the photo, right? ;)

then I shall dig out the best photo of my buns in anticipation...

scarletpeaches
08-09-2011, 10:09 PM
I've seen this photo. My eyes exploded. I'm actually wearing a spare pair of peepers nicked from a Croydon looter at the moment.

Medievalist
08-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Please don't put the same post/tweet on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, and G+.

Just don't.

Post on your blog, and then link.

Toothpaste
08-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Hey guys! Just popping in here to ask that you all buy my books and give me 5 star reviews when you do. In case you haven't yet. You know.

So . . . what are we talking about??

Medievalist
08-10-2011, 12:51 AM
There's an SF author whose books I really like quite a lot who recursively tweets a link to a blog post that contains the tweet.

I'm not kidding.

I stopped following the author . . . though I still buy the books!

Anne Lyle
08-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Doh! I have my Twitter feed in the sidebar of my blog, but that's just for folks who find me through my blog first (not many) to encourage them to follow me.

I confess that I have Twitterfeed set up to automatically tweet new blog posts, and the same RSS feed is used to update my Facebook fan page - but I only blog once a week. 95%+ of my tweets are me, live and dangerous :)

Perks
08-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Hey guys! Just popping in here to ask that you all buy my books and give me 5 star reviews when you do. In case you haven't yet. You know.

So . . . what are we talking about??Your books are five-star material, so I give you a pass.

You're good work, lady.