PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it for a Canadian to break into the American market?

Rachael7
08-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if American agents/publishers are less likely to consider you if you don't reside in the U.S.? Thanks.

BigWords
08-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Agents only care about the quality of your writing, not where you live.

Jessianodel
08-06-2011, 11:31 PM
If an agent loves your book and can sign you, they'll do it regardless of where you live. However I think there is more paperwork involved within the U.S versus another country. Something to do with taxes or saying your a non-resident receiving money? I remember reading a thread about it somewhere...

But no, agents don't (at least shouldn't) care about that.

jennontheisland
08-06-2011, 11:32 PM
No one but Revenue Canada cares where you live.

Rachael7
08-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks. I only asked because I came across this and I've been wondering the same thing.

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2009/05/international-community-and-publishing.html

SMagdalene
08-07-2011, 05:08 PM
I have a follow up-question: What about Europeans getting published in America? I'm from Sweden and the literary market here doesn't fit what I want to write at all. :/

Undercover
08-07-2011, 05:30 PM
I've come across amazingly wonderful Canadian Publishers that don't accept American authors...but never read anything about U.S. publishers saying Americans only...(but who knows maybe they're out there...not sure on that)...don't know if that's the same for agents too

BigWords
08-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I have a follow up-question: What about Europeans getting published in America?

See my previous statement. :)

brainstorm77
08-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I've come across amazingly wonderful Canadian Publishers that don't accept American authors...but never read anything about U.S. publishers saying Americans only...(but who knows maybe they're out there...not sure on that)...don't know if that's the same for agents too

They are out there.

The only ones in Canada that I know of that won't accept authors from outside the country are pubs that deal with regional topics or pubs that mandate their books to have strong Canadian/Provincial content.

EnitaMeadows
08-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Publishers care about the place you live about as much as they care about your hair color...which isn't much at all. :) I'm an American being considered by a couple of American presses as well as a couple based in Canada, and none of them care as long as my writing is good.

wordssmith
02-21-2012, 06:15 AM
How hard is it for an American to break into the Canadian market?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
02-21-2012, 07:01 AM
What about Americans that are THINKING about being Canadian. That's MY issue. ;)

mario_c
02-21-2012, 07:14 AM
As hard as it is for Americans to break into an American market.

:D

wordssmith
02-22-2012, 11:43 AM
i <3 Canada!!!

J.S.F.
02-22-2012, 01:42 PM
As a Canadian ex-pat living in Japan, it hasn't been a hindrance to getting published. Everything is done by Internet these days. Now, if you become world-famous and have to go to book signings, then it's a different matter...:)

As others have said, if you're good enough, they'll notice you.

Sheryl Nantus
02-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I've not only managed to sell to American publishers, I've sold stories set in Toronto...

;)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
I've not only managed to sell to American publishers, I've sold stories set in Toronto...

;)

But that's the only part Americans know exists, so that's OK.

;)

Drachen Jager
02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
I have a NYC agent and I've seen interest from American publishers (R&R which is on its way back out now).

I don't think it really matters, agents and publishers are mostly looking at the bottom line. If a book will sell they'll buy. Nationality really isn't a big factor.

I did have one British agent tell me they did not accept clients from overseas, but otherwise I never heard a whisper that it might be a disadvantage.

triceretops
02-23-2012, 09:26 PM

This is my experience, totally. The majority of my publishers are Canadian.

Tri

blacbird
02-23-2012, 11:12 PM
It's a lot easier for a Canadian to get published in the U.S. than it is for a Yank to get published in Canada.

caw

Alessandra Kelley
02-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Charlotte MacLeod did it. I'm not experienced in this, but I don't see that it would be a problem.

printingray
03-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately, the publishing industry, as I understand it, has been hit hard by the state of the economy as the books are usually bought with our disposable income, the money thatís left over after purchasing the essentials. So publishers do need to be more selective if they wish to survive. What do you think?

J.S.F.
03-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Unfortunately, the publishing industry, as I understand it, has been hit hard by the state of the economy as the books are usually bought with our disposable income, the money thatís left over after purchasing the essentials. So publishers do need to be more selective if they wish to survive. What do you think?
--

Nice loaded question.;) (Even though you probably didn't mean it as such).

From what little I know and I guess the more knowledgable people here can correct me, the publishing industry has become more discriminating not just due to the recession but also in terms of quality. It was a lot easier to get something out there twenty or thirty years ago (or so I've heard) even if it was crap. (You could probably point to the Twilight series as some have done and wonder "HOW?!" but there it is....).

The other thing is the Internet. With digital books, it saves paper, money, and time, and so the publishers want their traditionally published books to be the best around so they have, IMHO, become more selective, which means a lot of good stories just won't make it for one reason or another. JMO....

jennontheisland
03-28-2012, 03:23 AM
I have seen Canadian publishers who insist on Canadian authors only. I'm not entirely sure why it is... maybe they just want to make sure that CanLit stays as dry and bland, and only set in the prairies or at "the lake," as possible?

Or maybe we're all just so used to the CRTC demanding "Canadian content" that it's spilling over into other media?

It is amusingly (and somewhat ironically) discriminatory, I must admit.

jennontheisland
04-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Came across another possible reason for publishers to require "Canadian content"... The Government of Canada Book Publishing Industry Development Program (http://www.pch.gc.ca/bpidp) (aka The Canada Book Fund).

Despite what Harper wants to do to arts programs (i.e. "streamlining" the Canada Book Fund), we have a fairly well established system of federal grants to the arts. Publishers who require that authors be Canadian likely get more or different grants from those who don't.

CaroGirl
04-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I have seen Canadian publishers who insist on Canadian authors only. I'm not entirely sure why it is... maybe they just want to make sure that CanLit stays as dry and bland, and only set in the prairies or at "the lake," as possible?

Or maybe we're all just so used to the CRTC demanding "Canadian content" that it's spilling over into other media?

It is amusingly (and somewhat ironically) discriminatory, I must admit.

I'm sure you're not suggesting that this is all any Canadian author can come up with.

When it comes to publishing, Canadians can be a bit like the French. We believe we have a cultural identity and want to maintain it. Small press publishers give a voice to strongly Canadian stories that might not be considered in foreign markets.