Questions re: writer's rights when dealing with international publishers

deering

Registered
Reaction score
Hi to all...:),

I'm an unpublished and unagented American author who recently began pitching my children's picture book ms. to the ebook market. Several publishers in the latter are based overseas, and the most promising one to me thus far is Andrews UK Limited. I don't know much about overseas publishing, so I was wondering about the ins and outs. If my ms. is accepted, how could I be sure I would get paid--and who would I go to if I wasn't? Which countries would I owe taxes to? And since I have copyrighted my book with the Library of Congress here, would that right still hold in another country? If anyone can shed some light on all this--or refer me to someone who could--I'd be most grateful. Thanks so much!

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice — there are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."--Frank Zappa

Last edited:

deering

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Susie!

Glad to be here. Was I supposed to introduce myself to this particular forum as well as to the main board? Hope I didn't make a mistake...

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
Usually, just like in many forums, it's best to introduce yourself, interact on other subjects and such, other than just posting and hoping for a response. There's nothing "wrong" with that, but it might seem as you just wanting some quick tips and then you leave.

Cheers :p

deering

Registered
Reaction score
Ah. Well, I'm definitely not going anywhere. :) I introduced myself over in "New Members" several days ago. To recap, I've been lurking for a while; really thought this was one of the most informative boards I'd seen--and decided it was time to make my sinister presence known. Just after that, my little problem came up--and that, thus far, is all she wrote. Or has written. Or whatever...:)

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
No worries - and welcome aboard, btw. :hi:

There have been some threads popping up with questions similar to your own. You can find some answers here, for example. Hope this helps. :)

deering

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, SaraP!...and an update.

The threads were most helpful--and gave me some ideas. :) Andrews UK accepted my ms. for e-book publication and sent a contract. I've decided to find an agent just to be on the safe side, since I'm dealing with two relative unknowns here--ebook and international publishing. Now I have to find out whether it helps when agent querying to mention being "e-book accepted." :) In any case, thanks everyone!!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Deering, if you've not already signed up with Andrews UK you might want to check them out in the "Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks" part of AW before you go ahead. Not that I have any inside information or anything but I'm not familliar with them, and it's always worth checking publishers out before you deal with them.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I second Old Hack's suggestion. Not knowing anything about them either, many writers have found valuable info on there that could have cost them many headaches.

And good luck! :)

deering

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! :) Haven't signed yet. Am in the process of checking up on them here and through another source...

Last edited: