Technical help with Lulu.com - fonts and epub formatting?

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
I'm attempting to update a book I published with Lulu.com in 2008. Apparently the system has changed drastically, and the epub format that is working happily enough for Kindle and Nook is not cooperating with whatever the system is over at Lulu. Also, when I tried to just upload the pdf, I got some stuff about embedded fonts (Arial isn't embedded???? Arial????)

Could anyone point me to a step by step guide for fixing these issues? I'd ask who to bribe, but I'm self-published, so obviously not in my budget...

RexJameson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
therexfiles.blogspot.com
So, is there a specific reason that you are sticking with Lulu and not moving to CreateSpace? CreateSpace should not only save you money, but it should also allow you to reach a larger distribution. Here is a thread where people talk about why they moved from Lulu to CreateSpace.

CreateSpace may be a better option for you. One of the nicer things about CS is that they offer you a way to buy print runs for very reduced prices (like you want to print 10 copies for a book signing or something) and then you make a lot more profit when you sell some by hand (you also pay less to gift copies). If you are having problems with Lulu's conversion software, you might have better success with CS.

Anyway, from what I've read of people that are or were using Lulu, you'll want to embed all of your fonts into the PDF. If you want to use Adobe Acrobat, you can look here--basically, you just need to select embed fonts from the Advanced options in the save dialog. Here's a more generic solution that involves installing a PostScript print driver (free online) and embedding the fonts in that manner.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
So, is there a specific reason that you are sticking with Lulu and not moving to CreateSpace? CreateSpace should not only save you money, but it should also allow you to reach a larger distribution. Here is a thread where people talk about why they moved from Lulu to CreateSpace.

CreateSpace may be a better option for you. One of the nicer things about CS is that they offer you a way to buy print runs for very reduced prices (like you want to print 10 copies for a book signing or something) and then you make a lot more profit when you sell some by hand (you also pay less to gift copies). If you are having problems with Lulu's conversion software, you might have better success with CS.

Anyway, from what I've read of people that are or were using Lulu, you'll want to embed all of your fonts into the PDF. If you want to use Adobe Acrobat, you can look here--basically, you just need to select embed fonts from the Advanced options in the save dialog. Here's a more generic solution that involves installing a PostScript print driver (free online) and embedding the fonts in that manner.

Advice about my choice of Lulu was not what I requested. Also, this project is already on CreateSpace; I may also put it up on Smashwords as a local bookstore has asked me to do so as they work exclusively with them for local author titles. We're not yet into Highlander territory with self-publishing (There can BE ONLY ONE!) Please don't make assumptions.

I have the newest version of Adobe, which apparently doesn't embed fonts the same way. There also seems to be some problem with the epub version I already released in that Lulu doesn't like it, but it's not clear what the errors are (and the conversion was hair-pulling enough.)

Thank you for the links; I'll definitely check them out to see if I can sort this out.

Last edited:

aleks124

Registered
Reaction score
Are you using Lulu.com for self-publishing?

EPUB Conversion Service is for writers as well as publishers. We convert files in the DOC/DOCX (Word), INDD (InDesign) and PDF formats to EPUB.

Code:
http://en.epubpub.pl

Check our projects first.

Regards, Aleksander!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd personally hesitate to use a code-conversion service which cannot properly format an vB URL ....

Regardless, please resist pushing your services in other people's threads, or you will be deleted as spam.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . (Arial isn't embedded???? Arial????)
. . .
Not if you did not embed it when converting to PDF. There is a difference between an embedded font and one that is widely available. Book printing requires that the fonts be embedded. Even PDF995 can do that (with some catches, such as use of downloaded substitute fonts) if you pick the right setting.

--Ken