PDA

View Full Version : Second partial

Filigree
08-04-2011, 08:41 AM
An agent I really admire requested a partial a day or so ago. How much of that is my query re-write, and how much some new spiffy credentials, I have no idea. I'm not sure of what to hope for, since I'm rather relieved the first agent passed. I had a chance to rewrite, since.

Fruitbat
08-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Well there's another hurdle passed, jumped, (however it is people get over hurdles!) Fingers crossed for the rest. ;o)

Flexi
08-04-2011, 09:01 AM
An agent I really admire requested a partial a day or so ago. How much of that is my query re-write, and how much some new spiffy credentials, I have no idea. I'm not sure of what to hope for, since I'm rather relieved the first agent passed. I had a chance to rewrite, since.

Congrats!!! I get a bit confused about what a partial is also. I think it is the same as sample chapters (i.e. first three chapters) and a synopsis. But all agents seem to have different parts of the story they request after the query stage. I'd be keen to get a definitive answer on this also.

Filigree
08-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Well, it gives me hope, at least. At this point, I don't really care if it's the query or the credentials, I finally have some other eyeballs on the project.

Ann_Mayburn
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Woo hoo! Glad it lifted your spirits and hopefully good things will come of it. :D

Phaeal
08-04-2011, 06:45 PM
CGs and good luck with Number Two!

Filigree
08-05-2011, 05:40 AM
This experience has taught me to look more carefully at literary agencies.

I was thrilled when Agency #1 asked for a partial, since the drought had been in effect through many, many queries. In the intervening 4 months, I did some more research and found out that agency was more into literary fiction and a little urban fantasy, not epic fantasy (so much for agency guidelines). Then they wrote back, very kindly, with a personalized critique outlining some of the problems they had with the first 50 pages. I felt that the questions they raised were about things that an agent familiar with more sf&f would 'get'. They didn't ask for revisions, and I was a little relieved -- and still grateful for the input.

5 days later, the mms got a small award, in part for some of the same things the first agency found problematic. So I decided this time, I'd better stick with sending queries to agents who 1) had strong backgrounds in sf&f publishing, and 2) had editorial skills, since it was obvious the book would probably need some revision.

Ruthless query rewriting helped, but probably not as much as the new credentials. I picked a really respected agent, whose client list I admire, and tried out the new query. And she asked for a partial.

So I'm back to where I was in January this year, but at least the game has changed a little.

Xaenyth
08-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Congrats. I hope it leads to big things!

Susie
08-06-2011, 12:15 AM
That's super. Much good luck!

Filigree
08-20-2011, 03:51 AM
No update on the partial that's still out.

But today I received three boxes of books from Random House, as my prize for having been a finalist in the writing contest. Truly, a squee moment.