Anybody else finished their book recently??

bylinebree

Still Seeking the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.breedavison.wordpress.com
Well, the "first draft" of my fantasy-romantic quest is done! Lick finger...goal 1 done.

It's about 400 pgs, and I worried it was getting too long. Ha. With the comments and questions I've been getting, though, my fear-of-size was apparently unfounded (esp. for fantasy genre). 'So...what are their tunics like, exactly?' 'So...is this house, like, a huge estate or a small manor-type house?' 'So...how does this angel-worship religion work?'
So I've still got a ton of work to do on it. A friend said, as to size, that now she throws EVERYTHING in at first, because she can always cut it down later. Sigh. Wish I would have known that, but there's always the next novel in which to use that bit of wise advice!

But I did enter it "as is" in a major contest, the Paul Gillette, which was one of my main goals for the year. Lick finger, goal 2 done!
Parts of it are, indeed, first draft material, and others are ump-teenth, as I have learned HOW to write and craft a story as I've gone along.

Just wanted to share that. Now, on to the revising process - a horse of a different color, just like OZ.

Anyone else?????

SeanDSchaffer

Hello,

I just the other night finished the Second Draft of my present Work-In-Progress. I'm preparing to do my Third Draft pretty soon.

I'm afraid mine's not as long as yours, but then, what matters is that the story be told right. And so far, the work seems to be coming along great.

:)

SeanDSchaffer

My story is sort of a combination of SF and Fantasy. I don't normally go into great detail about the work when I'm actually in the process of working on it, but that's only because I have this nasty tendency to look at my work after I've told a lot of people all about it, and to think it's a stupid work.

I love this novel so much that I don't want to have that happen. However, I will say that it's sort of a 'Coming of Age' novel, that's kind of a parrallel with some Old Testament Stories that I've enjoyed throughout my life.

The work is coming along quite nicely right now. I'm just about to start working on Chapter Three before I hit the sack tonight. There are 27 Chapters in all, the last one being an Epilogue, and I'm trying to keep the Chapters short and easy to read. I do not like looong Chapters, just for the reason that I like to read a single Chapter during a single sitting. Right now I'm reading a book called The Elvenbane by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey, which is a wonderful Fantasy story, but the Chapters are a little too long for my reading tastes.

Well, I've rambled on a little too much, I'm afraid, and kind of gotten off the subject of the question I was answering. In any case, the work should reach right around 45,000 to 50,000 words when I'm all done. But at least the work is close to done, and I look forward to holding the completed manuscript in my hand--and someday, the actual book.

Have fun writing your book. I think the writing is probably the most fun I've had in the book business. Creating a world and writing about it--oh, there simply is no equal to it in my humble opinion.

britlitfantw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vlawinning.ca
Well, I just finished the first draft of Choice, my fantasy novel, so there we go. =) It seemed to go in a rush this evening, and all of a sudden, there were those two little words:

The End

SeanDSchaffer

britlitfantw said:
Well, I just finished the first draft of Choice, my fantasy novel, so there we go. =) It seemed to go in a rush this evening, and all of a sudden, there were those two little words:

The End

Right on, Tori! Good job. Congrats on finishing your First Draft!

:Clap:

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely! Congratulations!
I finished my first book sometime in July, and am halfway through my second book. I was worried about the length too, but I was worried the other way. It's a 380 pg Fantasy, and I was worried that it wasn't long enough. I'm even more worried now :D because my second book is growing to be so much longer. But, I'm sure I'll have to hack great big hunks out of it when I'm done.
Congratulations again! It's a great feeling isn't it?

britlitfantw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vlawinning.ca
Thank you! :) It is an amazing feeling, and I'm slightly shocked at how this took a shorter time than my first novel, and yet this new one is twice as long.

Either I'm getting more long-winded or I'm a faster typist. ;)

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!! Congrats!!! To One and All!

I just finished my second book, while reworking the first to get it ready for re-submission.
I'm in kinda a numb place right now, as I again realize that I've finished the 'FUN' part and I have to write queries, synopsis, (And all that jazz.)

I've already started book three so I am working with the same characters.

Whew....beginning Jan 1st...mail and wait, mail and wait.
( Mail and wait, Mail and Wait!
Got two novels on my plate.
Hey, you agents,
got time to read?
'Cause now I'm starting on
Number three!!!)
........Couldn't help it, I felt a poem coming on!

bylinebree

Still Seeking the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.breedavison.wordpress.com
Jaycinth said:
I just finished my second book, while reworking the first to get it ready for re-submission.
I'm in kinda a numb place right now, as I again realize that I've finished the 'FUN' part and I have to write queries, synopsis, (And all that jazz.)

:Clap: Good for you - and Tori, too! (now, that was my only "poem" for this eve...so impressive...yours was much better Jay)

I am revising that first fantasy novel with a friend-editor, and it's a sloooow process; she's linear and wants to take it chapter by chapter, every 2 wks or so. I, on the other hand, would like to go faster (and non-linear-ly) at least in my mind, but my body won't cooperate!! In other words, I wear out physically. But my "first reader" is great - she doesn't let me get away with ANYTHING, darnit. Heh.

Oh well. My book WILL become the BEST it can BE -- I should repeat that several times a day, like a prayer and personal exhortation! Let's all say it now....

A friend gave me a good book about doing Query letters & Synopses, by John Wood. I'm scanning over it right now, but this I have found:
All knowledge is head knowledge, until I actually NEED IT. So the book hasn't been put into practical use yet.

Anyone on this thread, or visiting, know what I mean?

DrCaelinPaul

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations ALL :)
I know what you mean about feeling excited and somewhat relieved to have a book finished. Just two weeks ago I received my first fantasy novel back from the publisher. It is very cool holding your own novel in your hands. I self-published so now I have the fun job of convincing people to buy it :) I did a book signing yesterday and it went pretty well. I have almost completely recovered my investment and I haven't started to promote it yet so I guess that's good :)

Congrats again all.

putter

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, look, I've actually finnished a book!!! I'm so excited.
I'm no intelect but i think I've written a fun story. I can't tell you what a feeling of accomplishment this is. I'm so happy.
Now, I guess I need to get into the peddling part of this business. I have to say, I'm rather overwhelmed by what that involves.
Sorry if I'm bothering anyone here but I just have to brag a little, y'know?

Mac

Master Bedroom

All I will say is, if I had a dollar for every word I have written, I would be freaking rich. Any way, its all about loving that art not making money, hey guys (Gets pummeled with tomatoes)

Finnishing my first novel

Finishing my first novel gave me a great sense of accomplishment.

Then I went through it and took out so much and added so much that it was amost a different story, only the plot remained.

It is only 54 thousand words though, so I am thinking that I will now go through it again, to add more, but I feel that it is complete already and I might ruin it, we’ll see?

My second novel, that took me two years to write, is over 150000 words, finishing that was a big relief, but going through it again was a nightmare because I was sick of looking at it, but it has to be done right! That is what I am trying to get published now.

I have also written a screenplay that only took me a few month to write, a very different process than writing a novel, this though is my favorite cuz my ultimate goal it to have my story played out on the big screen.

Do I have anything left inside of me now, anything I need to say and put out there, probably not?

The biggest thing I feel is, am I wasting my precious time?

Can I just go back to living life one day at a time, as I did in my youth, not caring about tomorrow or being just another face in the crowd?

I feel like one of those artist you see in the movies, that spend all their time in a basement or something, just painting, driven by some calling deep within to just keep going on, though it may be the death of me.

Oh future over there on the horizon, what do you have install for me, my failing eyes cannot see that fare…

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished a novel! Whoo!

But then I got slacky... <boos Sage>