PDA

View Full Version : Kinda sorta urgent: Which stories/poems are best suited to reading on radio??

mommie4a
11-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Anybody have an opinion about this?

The essays are really too long, I think. NPR for example uses 300-400 word pieces for the commentaries on All Things Considered and Morning Edition.

SUGGESTIONS??? (I go on the air at 1:50pm but will be without computer access after 11:30am)

THANKS!

maestrowork
11-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Try Matthew James' "The Shrine." It's short and very touching, almost a signature piece for the anthology. But seriously, you should read your own piece -- I think it's great and it really isn't that long. If time is a factor, you could read parts (excepts) of it... like a passage from the beginning, the middle then the end... it'd still read like the original...

mommie4a
11-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Hmm - maybe I'll just time myself and see. Thanks as always, Ray. :)

Pat~
11-11-2005, 07:39 PM
What a wonderful opportunity! Yes, read some of your own work, if you can. Apart from that, I would think a 'story' type of poem would work well--something more entertaining, not so esoteric. (But not too epic...) Also, a humorous piece would probably do well, (unless they want more serious poetry). Guess it depends on your audience, and what the purpose of your spot is.

ChunkyC
11-11-2005, 07:46 PM
I agree. Yes, the anthology is the primary thing, but this is YOUR moment to shine, mommie, so read your own piece even if just an exerpt.

And HAVE FUN!

mommie4a
11-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Thank you all - I've printed mine out (just ordered my print copies yesterday so don't have those yet) and will read it at a normal pace to see how long it goes!