Do signs talk?

PhotoHutch

Registered
Reaction score
I'm struggling how to write what's written on a sign. Is it

The sign said. . .

The sign read. . .

On the sign was written. . .

If the sign could speak, it would say. . .

Thanks!

Steve

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I would use "said". I realize that signs do not speak, but the verb "say" has come to mean "express". When I realized that it became easer to say lots of things in different media.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting discussion, Steve. My protagonist is deaf and sometimes communicates in American Sign Language (ASL).

My case and yours are instances where "said" only works as an approximate figure of speech.

How-you? Les signed. Glad-see-you.

In your case, the alternatives to "said" we once learned long ago come in handy:

"WATCH FOR FALLEN ROCK," the sign procalimed (warned, ordered, advised, made public, informed, reminded, expressed, etc.).

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with "said" here, and if this is in your project for children, I would encourage you to use "said". "What does the sign say?" and "What does the clock say?" are completely idiomatic in writing for children.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No, most signs do not talk, though I've seen a few that do. But the sign "says" or the sign "said" depending on tense, is just common parlance. Nothing wrong with it.

pegasus

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"WATCH FOR FALLEN ROCK," the sign procalimed (warned, ordered, advised, made public, informed, reminded, expressed, etc.).

... the sign insisted, raising its red lettering at us with extra threat.