• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Christian Beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintersun

dedicated writer, occasional beta
Registered
Reaction score
Close, but not close enough, to the S. E. US coast
Hello. I have written an off-beat but orthodox Christian romance with elements of murder mystery, and I am in huge need of a beta. An agent who admires my writing requested a submission in this genre [not knowing I had one already written from years ago] and I am trying to get the story into final, optimal form. I do not, *not* want lbl, but rather overall feedback. The original ms has been radically rewritten and I need to know if all the characters and the plot twists and turns remain coherent.

If you need a fuller description or a few sample chapters please PM me. I welcome with abject appreciation anyone who is good with plots and characters and who has the time to beta a full-length (89,000) novel. Thank you in advance!

Wintersun

Registered
Reaction score
One thing I want to add. Christian Contemporary Fiction is not my primary genre. In fact, I've never submitted in this market before. It would be especially helpful if I could find a beta with some knowledge of genre. My ms contains adult situations, one instance of 'colorful' language and one sex scene. If these are disqualifiers for the mainstream Christian market, it would be vastly helpful to know that before I submit. [I have tried to research it, btw. What I've found is that the 'rules' are not written per se, but that there is supposedly a set of unwritten rules of which people familiar with the market are aware.]

Also, does anyone know whether having a character that begins the story as a non-Christian is an issue? Any knowledgeable input, particularly if based on firsthand experience, would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Celesta

loves writing :)
Registered
Reaction score
I would be willing to do an exchange with you. I'm a Christian and have read LOTS of Christian fiction.

Having a character who isn't a Christian at the beginning of the book is perfectly acceptable. A sex scene likely is not unless it is very non-explicit. 'Colorful' language may or may not be ok depending on the context.

Wintersun

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Your information is helpful and deeply appreciated. I would be delighted to exchange with you. Could you PM me a few details about your novel, and about what type of feedback you're seeking? I will PM my email address to you in return. Also, one question. Would you be willing to read the two scenes in question to weigh in on whether they are toned down and tasteful enough or need some level of redaction? That would be extremely helpful.

Thanks again!

theneffzoo

Pressure makes diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I want to add. Christian Contemporary Fiction is not my primary genre. In fact, I've never submitted in this market before. It would be especially helpful if I could find a beta with some knowledge of genre. My ms contains adult situations, one instance of 'colorful' language and one sex scene. If these are disqualifiers for the mainstream Christian market, it would be vastly helpful to know that before I submit. [I have tried to research it, btw. What I've found is that the 'rules' are not written per se, but that there is supposedly a set of unwritten rules of which people familiar with the market are aware.]

Also, does anyone know whether having a character that begins the story as a non-Christian is an issue? Any knowledgeable input, particularly if based on firsthand experience, would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

I'm still learning about the CF genre. From what I've gleaned so far, having a character that begins as a non-believer and grows to become one over the course of the story is fine. Spiritual growth and showing a need for a savior is apparently central to CF.

Having a sex scene (even foreplay) is a no no. There are some edgier CF novels being written, but they are still very very tame by general fiction standards. Think 'neutered'. LOL

You might like to join ACFW. (Google 'ACFW') There is a critique service they offer free for members who crit other members' works in return. (two for every one you sub?, max 2500 words per)

And... I am looking for crit partners for fiction that is tame with moral characters, but isn't CF. I need critters that don't mind reading work that 'rides the fence'. I am a Christian who writes fiction, not a writer who writes Christian fiction. There is apparently a BIG difference.

If you'd like to swap a chapter or two for a mutual, line by line crit and see if we're compatible, PM me.

My MS is Romantic Suspense, with a side order of Paranormal. = )

Wintersun

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I do have one beta so far, and she's very amazing. Her input has already greatly improved the story, plus as an extra special bonus she gave me an absolutely classic/superb title. Everyone who hears it loves it. Celesta, I hope you don't mind me mentioning your name, but you are wonderful!

I wouldn't mind swapping chapters to see if we have a good fit. Let me just say one thing first. I am totally seeking Big Picture feedback right now, and lbl would not be much if any help. Also, given my schedule, general feedback is about all I could give. If that's acceptable to you, then why don't we give it a shot. If not, I totally understand. If you need lbl, and that's the kind of crit you're most comfortable giving, we're probably not a good fit at the moment. Maybe sometime down the road, we could try it if you're still looking.

theneffzoo

Pressure makes diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to offer to read a few chapters for nothing in return, but I just saw you wanted a full-length crit of 80k. I don't have time for that right now. Sorry. I guess we're not a good fit after all. darn.

CBrothers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an avid reader of Christian fiction, and agree with the others.

-mc becoming a Christian is probably fine.

Language and explicit sex scenes, not so much. A lot of Christian women read the Christian genre mainly to avoid all that stuff.

Wintersun

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, which i appreciate. The reason I asked about the MC being a non-Christian is this. The first beta objected to a non-Christian going to church for the wrong reason, and that made me wonder if writing about a non-Christian is even acceptable in the first place. It would be really odd, wouldn't it, if a non-Christian went to church for the right reason? But this reader, like you, had a lot of experience in the genre so I thought I should request clarification on the point.

Secondly, the language is gone. I think the scene is silly without it, but I decided it wasn't worth drawing a line in the sand over. So now the dialogue is lame, but at least there's no issue. Fwiw.

I also succeeded in finding an expanded set of guidelines for the party I am querying. To my relief it said that only 'gratuitous sex' would disqualify a submission. I should say, 'unspeakable relief', because unlike the language, that scene cannot be excised or diluted. It is essential. Now, I personally don't consider it graphic, and I worked overtime to make it as tasteful as possible. But as it stands it has to be included, and if that causes problems I'll have to figure out how to deal with it later. At the moment it's sacrosanct.

Thanks again for your input. I am painfully ignorant of this genre, as I've had plenty of reason to note since posting on this site and one other. I'm a fast learner, though, and I appreciate everyone who's weighed in with additional info. Thank you all very much!

CBrothers

Registered
Reaction score
I've read many Christian fiction books where the mc is not a believer, so overall that isn't an issue, although some publishers are stricter than others, if the character comes to God as a result, then that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.