• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

My WIP is playing hard to get!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Grrr.... I know what's going to happen, I know how it's going to happen, not just a picture of what will happen, but actual words, the narrative, the dialogue, the descriptions, they all come to me... when I can't write them down. They come to me when I'm running the dog, or when I'm taking a shower, or cooking, or doing dishes, or driving, anything something else that makes it difficult to stop and take notes.

And then when I'm finally done with my task and race back to the computer, sit down and open the file, nothing. Blank, silence. The words are gone. :cry:

It's like my WIP is playing hard to get. It tempts and taunts me when it knows I can't write anything down or even take notes. Then when I make time for it, clear everything away, and sit down with the file open and my fingers on the keys, it disappears. :rant:

I don't mind that the words come when I'm away from the computer. I mind when they don't come back. How can I bring them back? How can I keep the idea fresh in my mind until I at least have a chance to take some notes?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Try not to stress about it too much. I can be like this too. I want so badly to move move move the story along. If you've stalled perhaps go back and retrace your steps as to what blocked you out in the first place or what is overwhelming you so badly. Maybe you wrote something in there that your conciousness is saying..."Umm what we doing here folks?" Maybe you have too much going and it spiraled out of control and now you're trying to harness it again?

Anyways...the point I am trying to make IS, don't stress. It's the pits and will start the blocks to form and the doors to close. Maybe take a break and write a short story or poem? Or read a bit more? Or watch tv or the news...(i like watching the news for my mystery/thriller stories)...just a thought

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Grrr.... I know what's going to happen, I know how it's going to happen, not just a picture of what will happen, but actual words, the narrative, the dialogue, the descriptions, they all come to me... when I can't write them down. They come to me when I'm running the dog, or when I'm taking a shower, or cooking, or doing dishes, or driving, anything something else that makes it difficult to stop and take notes.

And then when I'm finally done with my task and race back to the computer, sit down and open the file, nothing. Blank, silence. The words are gone. :cry:

It's like my WIP is playing hard to get. It tempts and taunts me when it knows I can't write anything down or even take notes. Then when I make time for it, clear everything away, and sit down with the file open and my fingers on the keys, it disappears. :rant:

I don't mind that the words come when I'm away from the computer. I mind when they don't come back. How can I bring them back? How can I keep the idea fresh in my mind until I at least have a chance to take some notes?

You could always try to draw a picture/paint a picture related to your book when you find yourself stuck. It doesn't matter what level of artistic skill you have so long as it loosens up your creativity and helps you see what you're going to say. If your hand is already getting the ideas moving, then perhaps the words will begin to flow. Perhaps, you won't even be able to finish the picture because they flow out so quickly :) Also, you could try to close your eyes and see what's happening as if you're watching a movie. Then, describe what you see. Even if there's a few awkward sentences or even paragraphs that sound like you're just describing a movie to a friend and not writing, when your words begin to flow you can always go back and change the beginning of what you've written to make it flow together. Good luck :)

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. This happens to me all the time. I'll be in the shower or weeding the garden and I'll have all this dialogue running through my brain, or the scene playing out in my head exactly as I want to write it. And then when I get to my notepad and start jotting it down, I've either forgotten big chunks of it, or it doesn't translate properly from brain to page.

I've considered investing in a little dictaphone. Once I can get over the initial embarrassment of talking to myself in the shower, or when walking the dogs, I think it'll prove quite useful.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
What is it about being away from the WIP that makes it come after you? When I actually set a date with it, make all the reservations, buy the chocolates and flowers and wait for it, I get stood up. When I sit by the phone waiting for it to call, I get nothing. But when I finally decide to give up on the relationship and move on, it comes back! It's banging on my door when I'm not ready, or it's calling me in the middle of the night when I'm trying to sleep. :rant: And I keep going back! Whenever it calls, whenever its banging on the door, I go back to it! Then after a few thousand words of creative bliss, it packs up and leaves again with me begging after it, not now, not yet, just a little more, please, just a few more words, just tell me what happens next... But it ignores me, kicks me aside and moves on... :cry:

I think I need help. :tongue :D

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever that happens I have to go over it in my head obsessively, over and over until it sticks. While this works for the shower and dishes, driving ehh...not so much. But I always carry around a little mini notebook and a pen so I can write whatever I need to down. You can also get a pen that writes well on skin so whenever a thought hits you write it down on your arm - that way you don't have to deal with paper getting wet or anything.

I write on my arm all the time so It's like a personal notebook really :D

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
As a writer, it is criminal to ever be without pen and paper. Some of my best thoughts, ideas, dialogue, plotlines, etc were written on scraps of paper in my pocket, napkins, hell I've even written on my wall once when I woke up from a dynamite dream that was quickly fading...

I've also called myself on my cell and dictated to my voice mail (I use this one all the time).

And then there is the old 'repeat it to myself outloud 10 times until I memorize the salient details'.

----

I also another issue here--how to arouse your muse when you finally do have time to write.

The best way IMO is through habit and brute force repetition. Too often, we writers tend to reinforce the habit of ONLY writing when we feel like it. Actually, that is not the way to go about it. You need to get in the habit of FORCING yourself to write when you have time to write. Do this enough times, and you will become the master of your muse.

good luck

Mel...

BjornAbust

Banned
Reaction score
What is it about being away from the WIP that makes it come after you? When I actually set a date with it, make all the reservations, buy the chocolates and flowers and wait for it, I get stood up. When I sit by the phone waiting for it to call, I get nothing. But when I finally decide to give up on the relationship and move on, it comes back! It's banging on my door when I'm not ready, or it's calling me in the middle of the night when I'm trying to sleep. :rant: And I keep going back! Whenever it calls, whenever its banging on the door, I go back to it! Then after a few thousand words of creative bliss, it packs up and leaves again with me begging after it, not now, not yet, just a little more, please, just a few more words, just tell me what happens next... But it ignores me, kicks me aside and moves on... :cry:

I think I need help. :tongue :D
Haha! Well said. I'd say that about sums it up.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
First - I love your description - they're rotten fickle teases, these WIPs.
Secondly - I think perhaps you're finding it easier to think of stuff when you're not sitting at your desk because perhaps when you do sit at your desk, you're loading yourself with pressure to get a huge amount done, or get it perfect.
I agree with the suggestions others have made but the one that works best for me is dgiharris's - just sit down, and write some words. Preferably at a set time. Don't worry at this point about whether they're perfect words or enough words. Just some words. The muse will turn up. Sometimes wooing her too hard is a turnoff, but just showing up for the date is almost always a turn on.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
It used to happen to me. Now I have a little recorder, looks kinda like a cell phone. Great for the car.

wishflower

blanket fort afficianado
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.q-washburn.com
This happens to me all the time too, just like when you can't remember something and it comes to you hours or days later. When my mind is still all sorts of things pop up, especially when I'm falling asleep. I usually use the voice memo function on my phone to record my thoughts and then just get back to whatever I'm doing.

You'll figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my GOD this is me.

The best thing I've found *so far* is the voice recording feature on my iPhone. I always have the phone with me, so it's easy to pull out when I need to start babbling.

Mind you, I don't always understand what I'm saying after I go back and listen...

But it's something, and it helps.

Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.