I find this website confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

beechnut79

Registered
Reaction score
I find this website very confusing. Why do some sub-forums require an additional password to access? I tried using my login password but it didn't work. Would like for someone to advise on this one.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I find this website very confusing. Why do some sub-forums require an additional password to access? I tried using my login password but it didn't work. Would like for someone to advise on this one.

Some subforums have special passwords you can get from mods. SYW's password is vista but you can't post their until you have 50 posts. Then the erotica SYW I believe has another one where you have to pm a mod saying you're over 18.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Some subforums have special passwords you can get from mods. SYW's password is vista but you can't post their until you have 50 posts. Then the erotica SYW I believe has another one where you have to pm a mod saying you're over 18.
You can post in SYW with less than 50 posts; you need 50 to start a thread there.

With the exception of the Erotica forum, passwords are listed in the forum description.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Part of the password protection is to keep some areas, like places where people are sharing writing they hope to publish some day, from being "searchable" by the web.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The password protected areas are used to shield parts of the site from search engines and to give members an added measure of security when posting.

The passwords are not a big secret and are clearly labeled below the main link of each room where they are used. As Jess mentioned above, the only one that requires permission is the Erotica forum, where a mod of that room, or an Admin or Mac herself, will verify the age of a person via a PM request before granting access (which is twenty-one, I believe, not eighteen).

If you try to follow a discussion and a prompt appears asking for a password, you'll either have it memorized for that room or simply go to the main page to find the correct term to enter.

I can never keep them straight myself, so I've recorded the passwords in Word and look them up when necessary.

Below is a few that you might find useful:

Share Your Work: vista

Poetry Lab: citrus

The Sandbox: vista

Music Lab: andante

P&CE Soapbox: liberty

ESL Help & Other Languages SYW: vista

Conquering Challenges: serenity

ETA: Cross-posted with Cao and Will, 'cause I'm damn slow. :)

Deleted member 42

There's a stunning Password FAQ right here. Right in the very forum where you posted this question!

I note that I spend days, years even writing these, and no one [sob] reads them.

I shall now continue to herd my cats uphill, in the snow, against the gravitational forces of the universe.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a stunning Password FAQ right here. Right in the very forum where you posted this question!

I note that I spend days, years even writing these, and no one [sob] reads them.

I shall now continue to herd my cats uphill, in the snow, against the gravitational forces of the universe.

We read them, Medi - we just read them later ... ;)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I weep at the neglect:

:cry:

I know. We don't deserve you. Now I'm weeping, too (even more than you are...)

:cry::cry::cry:

You know who started this, though? Beechnut. I'm thinking sparkles.....

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

The force is strong. I've got Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader on.

Q: Helsinki is the capital of what country?

A: Sweden.

:e2hammer:

Deleted member 42

You know who started this, though? Beechnut. I'm thinking sparkles.....

Nah, he's new, it's a huge forum.

But that fishguy, and Willbee, and CaoPaux . . . well.

At least they didn't mock my age and infirmities, like some Cats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If only we had a newbie guide to explain these things

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to write a detailed FAQ: On Smilies, and You're All Going to Be In It

Are you going to use that font and text size?

(Just kidding. I'll behave from now on.)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Your experience should tell you that people read the FAQs as much as they read the manual that came with the computer...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your experience should tell you that people read the FAQs as much as they read the manual that came with the computer...

Though, to be fair, the manual that came with my computer was written in Korean ...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once got a coffeemaker that came with an 82-page manual. For a coffeemaker! "No, I'm not planning on launching a mission to Mars, I just want to make some coffee."

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BTW - if anyone knows how to work my video cassette recorder I'd be interested in hearing from you; also if anyone knows where I can buy some video cassettes? They used to be everywhere ...

*mutter mutter wanders away*

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got my first food processor recently. The manual is 70 pp. and assumes I have watched the one-hour DVD.

Mr. Maryn figured out how to do the basics, and is teaching me.

Beechnut, your confusion between your personal member password and the password required to enter certain rooms is common--but avoidable. Don't worry, we still love you, but it's a really good idea to read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies, where the information you need to make your way is gathered and explained.

Maryn, watching the 2001 Planet of the Apes movie and feeling out of shape

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, we still love you

Yeah, we do love you. Some of us (well, me) are just trying desperately Not To Write.

Where's the Procrastination Fairy when you need her? Can't something happen to keep me away from beginning??

Deleted member 42

I once got a coffeemaker that came with an 82-page manual. For a coffeemaker! "No, I'm not planning on launching a mission to Mars, I just want to make some coffee."

I used to write manuals for things like printers, and photocopiers, and refrigerators, and tampons . . .

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The tampon one must have been a tough query letter

Status
Not open for further replies.