• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Snatterbrackle, delicious goodies that break through writer's blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron569

Registered
Reaction score
Snatterbrackle just smacked me upside the head a few minutes ago. Sounds like something you'd find somewhere in Wonderland, doesn't it?

Anyhow, I'd love to hear what types of things you do to rid yourself of the pesky writer's block.

Here's a short list of ideas, I've found effective when I get into a little slump.

1)Grab a book or magazine. Pick 3 or 4 pages and write down the first word that captures your attention.

2)Try doing something similar with the tv. 3 things that captured your attention on different channels, then turn the tv off.

3)Write down elements of what you remember from your dreams.

4)Take a camera with you, snap a picture of some random spot. Head somewhere where there are a lot of people and write down something you overhear someone say that piques your interest. Come home and check out your random photo. Then try and connect the photo with what you overheard someone talking about.

5)I love using classical music to break these slumps. I'll listen to something, then I'll let the music dictate my mood, and I'll jot down how I'm feeling.

6)Write down the first sentence you read in the newspaper.

7)Watch a couple talking from far away and put your words in their mouths.

Those are just a few little tricks I've used.

How about you?

By the way, snatterbrackle are what I call those miscellaneous pieces that make no sense in my dreams. Those are pieces I'll come back to later on, when I have nothing else to do.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go for a quiet walk. Carry a small notebook.

Read just a few pages from a book on writing that you've found helpful. Concentrate on one element you might be having trouble with.

I once knew a drawing teacher who would have all his new students get out a pristine sheet of paper (for a charcoal class). He would then come by and put a big black mark across each of the student's paper. The idea was to loosen up the students so they wouldn't be "afraid" of screwing up their clean sheet of paper (while sketching their "masterpiece"). Something like that can also be used for writing; write a page of crap without stopping. Don't let yourself be distracted by thoughts that what you've written isn't going to win the next Pulitzer Prize.

htrent

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
4)Take a camera with you, snap a picture of some random spot. Head somewhere where there are a lot of people and write down something you overhear someone say that piques your interest. Come home and check out your random photo.

I have an entire [trunked] novel that came about because of this.

Another thing that gets me out of a writing funk is taking a drive through the country and looking at old gas station signs and barns and such that have gone into ill repair. It helps me conceptualize settings.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
One thing that helped me a lot was to take one of my favorite books and retype the words I read on the page. It's amazing how much you pick up in reading when you're having to type out the words. After about 10 pages, you actually learn a lot about structure, flow, and the sort of things you thought you were picking up the first time, but you really weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.