PDA

View Full Version : First ten days of publishing for the Amazon Kindle and forty two sales

ebar
08-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Ten days ago I published my first book, The Nameless War, for the Amazon Kindle and as of Sunday 31st July I've had forty two sales. The book belongs to genre of military science fiction, which is a pretty narrow category, so these sales are very encouraging. The whole exercise has been a bit of an experiment and so far the whole process of publishing for the Kindle has been very smooth, no problems have jumped out at me yet, so I知 waiting now to see if any reviews come in. I知 planning on putting up a short story next within the next month. So watch this space for further experience.

Capital
08-03-2011, 02:54 AM
What sort of marketing have you done?

Wayne K
08-03-2011, 02:57 AM
That's awesome. Good for you

Nick Russell
08-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Congratulations! I hope you sell a million copies. Please keep us updated on your progress.

PortableHal
08-03-2011, 05:44 AM
Hey, ebar --

Provide a link to your novel, would you?

ebar
08-03-2011, 12:38 PM
It's here: http://www.amazon.com/Nameless-War-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B005DTO04K and here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nameless-War-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B005DTO04K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312360375&sr=8-1

To be honest not much in the way of advertising thus far. A couple of posts on sites I know that would have my most likely readers, that kind of thing. I've been looking a few of the suggestions I seen on this site and some look practical for me.

shaldna
08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
welcome and congrats

pdblake
08-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Sounds good and hopefully will get better for you.

Lady MacBeth
08-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Good luck! Have you had any problems with piracy? I've been reading a lot about that lately.

MMcDonald64
08-04-2011, 06:10 PM
It's here: http://www.amazon.com/Nameless-War-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B005DTO04K and here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nameless-War-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B005DTO04K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312360375&sr=8-1

To be honest not much in the way of advertising thus far. A couple of posts on sites I know that would have my most likely readers, that kind of thing. I've been looking a few of the suggestions I seen on this site and some look practical for me.

I just grabbed a sample as I like military sci-fi to some extent. I loved the Lost Fleet series. One thing about your description, for me at least, is there is no mention of a main character, just five people who stand in the way of destruction. That might not be a problem for most military science fiction fans as I'm not in the usual demographics for that genre, so my opinion might be totally invalid here. :-)

What drew me to the Lost Fleet series was the mention of Black Jack Geary and his circumstances. The concept was intriguing to me. Of course, I'm probably not your target audience. While I don't mind space battles, the tech stuff isn't what would keep me reading.

Anyway, 42 sales in 10 days is great!

AP7
08-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Congratulations. That's a great start. What's really nice is you have 25 pages of "also boughts." Which means Amazon is already helping you get noticed.

PulpDogg
08-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Congrats on the sales.

I too would suggest a re-write of the description. Right now it is a little bland and IMHO not very encouraging to try out the sample.

ebar
08-04-2011, 07:35 PM
I just grabbed a sample as I like military sci-fi to some extent. I loved the Lost Fleet series. One thing about your description, for me at least, is there is no mention of a main character, just five people who stand in the way of destruction. That might not be a problem for most military science fiction fans as I'm not in the usual demographics for that genre, so my opinion might be totally invalid here. :-)

What drew me to the Lost Fleet series was the mention of Black Jack Geary and his circumstances. The concept was intriguing to me. Of course, I'm probably not your target audience. While I don't mind space battles, the tech stuff isn't what would keep me reading.

Anyway, 42 sales in 10 days is great!

Thank a lot and no opinion honestly given is invalid. To say the least I banged my head against the wall for a while trying to come up with the description. Ultimately I went for short and sharp because the five main characters are each basically a front man (and woman) for five separate but interrelated threads and trying describe their activities, even in brief was likely to result in a page of text.

I've looked at the blurbs of the military scifi books that I own (The Lost Fleet, the Starfire books and some of earlier Honorverse books) and really none of them go into much detail. Certainly when I going looking for reading material on the Kindle marketplace if a description goes on for more than a short paragraph, I'm not going to give it the time of day.

But we will see what the book reading public has to say.

Cloud Eight
08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
That's an outstanding start!

I share your head-banging in the description dept. Still tweaking mine, still not satisfied. I think it's harder than writing the book--and really important to draw in readers.

Rubay H.
08-04-2011, 11:46 PM
I downloaded the sample and so far, so good. Your formatting looks excellent, too. Did you do it yourself or hire it out?

edwilson
08-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Great job, ebar! I'm looking to epublish myself once I finish revising my current manuscript. I'm encouraged by the success I've been reading from fellow epub writers.

LawlessLara
08-05-2011, 04:37 AM
I too dipped a toe into the vast waters of epub. 24 hours none sold.... YET But I have done little marketing.... YET

AlekT
08-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Congratulations!

I just posted on another thread regarding the inability of finding out how Amazon rankings translate into specific sales. It's great to see someone actually stating the number of sales they've made. I hope you can keep us informed about your sales trajectory in the coming weeks.

I'd also be interested if you did the formatting and graphics yourself or through a service, and if you've formatted for other than Kindle.

Once again, Congrats, and good luck with your writing.

James D. Macdonald
08-05-2011, 05:22 AM
It's great to see someone actually stating the number of sales they've made.

Here're mine:

July:

http://www.sff.net/people/yog/amazon_jul_todate.jpg

August:

http://www.sff.net/people/yog/amazon_aug_todate.jpg

ebar
08-05-2011, 02:00 PM
That's an outstanding start!

I share your head-banging in the description dept. Still tweaking mine, still not satisfied. I think it's harder than writing the book--and really important to draw in readers.

Yeah, it is difficult. What I did was check the blurbs of books I own in the same genre that I have read often enough to be completely familar with the full content. Now these are books that have gone through the professional publishing process and descriptions are short and generalized. The one for 'In Death Ground' by David Weber and Steve White is:

'In difficult ground, press on. In encircled ground, devise strategems. In death ground, fight.'' 5000 ye ars later, in the time of the 4th Interstellar War, Sun Tzu'' s advice still makes perfect sense for the humans and their allies the Orions.So what I'd say is look at your genre and by guided by what the professionals have come up with.

I downloaded the sample and so far, so good. Your formatting looks excellent, too. Did you do it yourself or hire it out?

Did it myself and as far as I can make out it went smoothly. The file was from WORD and I sent it to my Kindle a couple of times. The only bit that did involve a bit of messing is I put an image on the front page same out I'm using for my avatar here, it doesn't appear on the sample and it took a couple of attempts to get it small enough to fit on the front page with the text.

Since there seems to be the interest here I'll give on Sunday my sales figures for the second full week.

Cloud Eight
08-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Good advice ebar.

Nick Russell
08-06-2011, 04:41 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to post my Amazon stats like James did above, but having no luck. Any suggestions?

Noah Body
08-06-2011, 07:57 AM
My sales, since February. (http://knightslanding.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/sales-sales-ales/) Rolling back now, but I'm hopeful newer releases and the end of summer will get me back on track.

42 sales in 10 days right out of the gate is pretty good, from where I sit.

Jack_Roberts
08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Way to go! Good luck!

KTC
08-07-2011, 02:23 AM

Did we look at the same sample? It is in need of an editor. Sorry, but I'm just commenting on what I read in the sample. If self-published, you should still get an editor to edit the work for you before posting it for sale. You get ONE chance to make a first impression.

brainstorm77
08-07-2011, 02:59 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to post my Amazon stats like James did above, but having no luck. Any suggestions?

It looks like a screenshot. Being the tech-turd that I am, I have yet to find out how to do it.

ebar
08-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Okay well as promised week two's figures.
Amazon.com: 19, Current Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #13,617*
Amazon UK: 8, Current Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #8,709*

*I've noticed these figures go up and down during the week a lot so I wouldn't say that any single figure means much.

KTC
08-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Is this the book?

http://www.novelrank.com/asin/B005DTO04K

I'm seeing no sales in July and 9 at .com and 6 at UK in August. Is noveltracker not always accurate?

azbikergirl
08-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Novelrank is almost always wrong for sales figures. It's very good at tracking the sales rank, though.

ebar
08-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Well that's it alright but looks like it's only been tracking since the 3rd of August.

thousandroses
08-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Congrats. 42 is great.

-Rose, The Evil Vampire :evil

Sheryl Nantus
08-07-2011, 08:36 PM
I think Novelrank only starts counting *after* you "sign up" your book - thus if you sign it up after you've already made sales, those won't show up. Only sales from the date after that.

I think.

James D. Macdonald
08-07-2011, 08:38 PM
And, NovelRank won't let you sign up a book before it has sales.

azbikergirl
08-07-2011, 11:10 PM
A book has to have a ranking before you can sign it up at novelrank or metricjunkie, and Amazon won't rank a book until it has enough sales data. My most recent release got its initial ranking 4-5 hours after the first sale.

MMcDonald64
08-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Is this the book?

http://www.novelrank.com/asin/B005DTO04K

I'm seeing no sales in July and 9 at .com and 6 at UK in August. Is noveltracker not always accurate?

Yeah. Novel tracker has never been accurate for my books.

Alexandermerow
08-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Really not bad, only one of my book (Prey World III) is on amazon as an ebook. Don`t ask me why...

LKWatts
08-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Congratulations, that's fantastic! You must have written a great book that people want to read.

Saul Tanpepper
08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Congrats on the sales, ebar. Always great to hear about an indie writer's success. And thanks, James, for sharing. Once I start publishing my zombie shorts (next month) I'll be able to post some numbers too (or, at least, that's the plan!).

ebar
08-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks folks,

Saul Tanpeper good luck with the Zombie. I'll be interested to see how short stories do.

Plus everything is better with Zombies.

wiskey43
08-19-2011, 01:34 AM
Way to go, glad to hear that there are authors doing well on Amazon. We also have a new e-book out titled "The 5 Rules of Crime" by D. Robert Millar. The author is a retired crime investigator and he bases his book on his experiences as a police officer. We have sold some copies and I hope it will pick up also.

efkelley
08-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Nick, it's a cropped screenshot turned into a JPG.

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows

Saul Tanpepper
08-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks folks,

Saul Tanpeper good luck with the Zombie. I'll be interested to see how short stories do.

Plus everything is better with Zombies.

Yup, the shorts are an experiment. Planning to release 4-6 between now and the end of the year which will be included in a 10-12 story collection around Christmas. Fingers crossed. I'll let everyone here know how they do.

And, yes, just add the #zombie hashtag to any twitter post and kazam! Gotta love zombie juice.

James D. Macdonald
09-02-2011, 02:52 AM
August, USA:

http://www.sff.net/people/yog/august_kindle.jpg

Plus another six in the UK.

Nick Russell
09-02-2011, 04:15 AM
I can't figure out how to get the image to upload, but here is a link to my August sales

http://publishing4profit.com/August.jpg

Nick Russell
09-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Okay, Let's try again. Here are my August sales
http://publishing4profit.com/August.jpg

efkelley
09-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I can see the image. Nice sales! :)

FrederickS
09-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Ten days ago I published my first book, The Nameless War, for the Amazon Kindle and as of Sunday 31st July I've had forty two sales. The book belongs to genre of military science fiction, which is a pretty narrow category, so these sales are very encouraging. The whole exercise has been a bit of an experiment and so far the whole process of publishing for the Kindle has been very smooth, no problems have jumped out at me yet, so I知 waiting now to see if any reviews come in. I知 planning on putting up a short story next within the next month. So watch this space for further experience.

That's very cool! So how long after you upload to Kindle, does it take before it is visible for sale? How about on Smashwords?

ebar
09-04-2011, 01:53 PM
That's very cool! So how long after you upload to Kindle, does it take before it is visible for sale? How about on Smashwords?

Seemed to be about 24hrs for me. Although the email from Amazon stating I was published only turned up about a week after that. I haven't tried Smashwords yet, I'm working on an old novella of mine and I might try them with that. My count for August came in at a little over 500 sales.

I'm wonder whether to try to provide a print edition via Createspace or Lulu. Does anyone here have first hand experience of using them?

James D. Macdonald
09-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Yes. Lulu is fast and easy and (if you don't choose to use an ISBN) free.

I won't use Createspace because it's owned by Amazon.

Yes, your books are available through Amazon anyway, even if you don't get an ISBN.

Kent
09-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Congratulations ebar...42 sounds pretty good to me.

LauraAnnSwanson
09-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Congrats!

lady_K
09-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Good work!

Bookmama
10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Wow, I'm really impressed with your sales numbers. Receiving more than a hundred dollars each month and continuing to see sales growth is to me, a very appealing picture for a new author.

You've got me thinking about a non-fiction book that I had pitched as a book proposal years ago, before I got serious considering self-publishing. It's been packed away in the filing cabinet (and hard-drive) for several years now.

You broke down your sales by item sold for the early months and at that point your mystery was selling the most quantity wise. Is that still true? Or have your non-fiction sales grown? The sales growth seems fantastic! I realize that not everyone is seeing this kind of response -- in fact, I'm pretty sure there are many folks who have more like single-digit sales each month. But your results have opened my mind to the possibilities for real income.

Nick Russell
10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
The mystery continues to be the top seller. As of last night, I had sold 200 copies this month.

Noah Body
10-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Hey, that's great! Just e-pub, or did you put out a paperback as well?

ebar
10-18-2011, 01:45 AM
For me things continue to progress. I'm coming up on the three month mark and my sales are now at 1850. I published a novella about a month ago as well but that hasn't had the same take off and is at about the 50 sales mark.

James D. Macdonald
10-23-2011, 07:46 PM
September at Kindle:
http://www.sff.net/people/yog/sep_11_kindlesales.jpg