• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Could use a second pair of eyes on this YA-ish plot opening - willing to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to serious writing, but I've dabbled for years and I'm an avid reader. I'm working on a fantasy/slightly-steampunk-ish/western YA-type adventure. The story follows a young lad born on the ground and raised on a cattle ranch who gets mixed up with the mercenary crew of an airship, and is propelled into the middle of their struggles with bandits, aristocrats and political backstabbery. More or less the airships and stuff Mortal Engines dropped into a world that's kind of spaghetti western without the Native Americans, with a twist of Firefly's aesthetic.

The manuscript is currently a shade under 4,500 words, and I would appreciate if someone could read through it and give me their impressions. I'm not looking for a particularly deep analysis; mostly just a heads-up on any particular problems with style and voice, and an opinion on the plot and immersion so far and whether there's anything that pulls the reader out of the story. If you want, I'm willing to read over any manuscript you want to send me, and give you some feedback. Preferably manuscripts of a similar size to mine, but I don't mind if it's a little larger - I'm a fast reader!

Thanks in advance to anyone who considers this.

geagar

W/O Adult Supervision
Registered
Reaction score
Website
granteagar.blogspot.com
I would be willing to give it a look, I am not an editor but will look at the flow for you, look at the short stories on my blog to see waht I am about.

Status
Not open for further replies.