Ever get stuck with a pseudonym you hated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

September

my word processor
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious as to how often published authors start disliking their pen names. I'm not sure yet if I want to use a pen name, but I worry about choosing the "perfect" one and whether I'll still like it in a few years. Seems like changing pen names wouldn't be practical at all because then you'd have to build up a whole new fan base, so you'd better get your name right on the first try. Does a pen name eventually become something like your real name - something you just get used to and accept?

Reaction score
I don't even think about mine now. It's even more me than my real name. In fact, most of the friends I've made since being published the first time call me Scar, even though they know it's not my official/legal name.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How often do people come to hate their real names? I mean, most people don't get a choice in what that is, after all. Since I get a say in what my pen name is, wouldn't I pick something that I like better?

I suppose there are people who will get to be unhappy with a pen name, but I've never met one yet. I liked my first one so much, I legally changed my name to it--so now, of course, I'll need to come up with another one should I have need of one again.

September

my word processor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that was fast. :)

How often do people come to hate their real names? I mean, most people don't get a choice in what that is, after all. Since I get a say in what my pen name is, wouldn't I pick something that I like better?

Yeah. I guess maybe I'm just a little OCD about looking for the perfect pen name and thinking that I'll come up with a better one after I get my first one established.

Reaction score
I hate my real name because of who gave it to me. I much prefer my pen name, which is why I like people to call me Scar or Scarlett. I chose it for myself.

Reaction score
I wonder if my publishers would be okay with a name change to "Scarlett Moobag"?

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I will be publishing under a pseudonym as I don't want my family to find or read my writing same as people I used to know. I don't know yet it's a different last name and I've changed part of my first name to make it different but I don't hate it yet. I've grown rather fond of it.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I just now am dealing with the whole pen name thing. I've got a book contract, and knew from day one of writing that I'd use a pen name. I don't like my real name, and also my last name is quite a mouthful.
So I picked a pen name that I liked better, something easy, but also something that kinda screams pen name. I can have fun with it too.
It's been hard setting up various networking sites with my pen name, I'm slowly getting used to being two people at once. But I think like Scarlet said, it because a part of you over time.
And of course you get to pick a pen name you like. So have fun with it.

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
Try having the last name Cox. People have such dirty minds.

Last edited:

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I have a pen name picked out that I like, because I don't really like my first name written down and all nicknames for it just look silly. But at the same time I kind of wanted to have my name on something as a personal achievement thing. I get how some people want a pen name and I was set on having one for a long time (it's my username on here and a lot of other places) but I think when I finally get to it, I'll write under my initials; K.E.O.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I still like mine, but let's just say the sooner that Rebecca "Friday" Black disappears back into obscurity the happier I'll be. :rolleyes

September

my word processor
Registered
Reaction score
I still like mine, but let's just say the sooner that Rebecca "Friday" Black disappears back into obscurity the happier I'll be. :rolleyes
LOL! I never thought of that until you pointed it out. I like your name. :)

I hope this is okay to ask in this thread (didn't want to start a whole new thread for it), but I've been thinking about writing under the name Quinn Avery. Do you like it? It's close enough to my real name that I won't get sick of it, plus I like it because it's gender-neutral and (I hope) easy to remember. On the minus side, I googled it and there's another person by that name out on the Internet. How big a problem is that, really?

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I shortened my real name to just my middle and last names and used that. Didn't like the way the whole thing sounded, but didn't want to lose my surname. Works for me. :)
I also use a pen name for my erotica, but that one doesn't resemble my name in any way. I have to admit it's a little weird seeing that one on book covers. Doesn't quite feel like it's me.

ETA - Quinn Avery sounds good to me. It's distinct. :) As for another person having the name, it's no big deal unless they're an author too. :D

elmoie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to use a pen name, but think I might have to. My first name is fine, but my surname is just awful. People pronounce it wrong and it's fairly long...I'm not sure if it will look good on the cover of a book.

The other option is to use my married name (I never changed my name) but that's even worse!

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
LOL! I never thought of that until you pointed it out. I like your name. :)

Thanks. I suppose there is some advantage. People looking for her on the Internet (and I have seen her referred to as Becky. She's turning up in my Google Alerts!) will find me instead and decide, "hey, let's not go mock a kid, let's read some saucy m/m romance instead." ;)

I hope this is okay to ask in this thread (didn't want to start a whole new thread for it), but I've been thinking about writing under the name Quinn Avery. Do you like it? It's close enough to my real name that I won't get sick of it, plus I like it because it's gender-neutral and (I hope) easy to remember. On the minus side, I googled it and there's another person by that name out on the Internet. How big a problem is that, really?

It depends on how famous this other Quinn Avery is, how prominant they are and what they are prominant for. I've certainly never heard of them. If they're not a writer, or even if they are, but not famous and not in your genre, then go for it. A friend of mine is working on getting published and will probably use her real name - which I happen to think is a very nice writery type of name - and there are another couple of writers by that name, but nobody who she'd ever be on the same shelf with, so I think she's safe.

The only problem I have with Quinn Avery is that it sounds backwards to me. Like it should be Avery Quinn. I'd almost want to put a comma after Quinn to make it Quinn, Avery and shelf you under Q.

daniellep

Registered
Reaction score
I think I will have a hard time simply because my first and last name are long. They aren't complicated just long, and rather boring. I would prefer something a little more catchy but I haven't thought of anything yet. I have a contemporary romance wip right now so, I have some time to come up with something. Still thinking on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.