PDA

View Full Version : Hi Y'all

wrightmor
08-02-2011, 12:23 AM
I made a general post on one of the other forums last week. I have been away for couple of years and not been posting anywhere. My writing, so far, has been magazine- especially devotional (Upper Room and Secret Place). Since have had good success with both of these, I am kinda stuck. Working on longer article for Mature Living (Baptist Mag). That will be my greatest writing venture yet. Most of you guys are doing BOOKS! I would like to do at least one good book. But kinda cutting my teeth on these magazines.
I appreciate the support and encouragement I got from you all the last time I was active on this board. I have since (in my absence) sold 6 or 7 maybe 8 devotionals to these two markets. It was to a great degree due to insight and encouragement from this forum. Thanks guys. Maybe y'all can give me the shove I need to get me unstuck from magazines and going for that first book.

Calla Lily
08-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Welcome (back) and congrats on the devotional sales!

CACTUSWENDY
08-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Welcome back and much success. :D

wrightmor
08-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Just made two more submissions this week with a couple more rough
drafts on my Dana processor. Does anybody else subscribe to Writer's
Market? I love that site. Still discovering pages I hadn't seen. This week I
found the page where I can record submissions: date, title (even whole manuscript if I wanted), response date, payment amt and date, etc.
Anyway, wanted to keep myself busy and report. Don't worry. You won't be hearing from me every time I sneeze. It's just I have been inactive so long with the activities of my moving- paint, flooring, furniture, etc that I have fallen into the habit of do nothing when it comes to writing. I must
get geared up again. and making myself accountable, at least to start with,
I think is going to help.

Deb Kinnard
08-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Go ahead, post away. Anything that distracts my attention out of the Revision Pit is A-OK in my book. And may I say, welcome back.

To write a book: write early. Write often. Revise some. Scream a bit. Walk around muttering about how your characters will not behave themselves. Write some more. Repeat as necessary.

Calla Lily
08-03-2011, 05:50 AM
You forgot chocolate. And martinis. And chocolate martinis. :D

heyjude
08-03-2011, 04:36 PM
:hi: Wrightmor!

Norman D Gutter
08-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi Wrightmor. No, we don't want to hear about everytime you sneeze. Maybe every time you submit, though.

I'm using a manual submittal tracking system, which is working well for me. I don't submit a whole lot, however.

NDG

Deb Kinnard
08-04-2011, 01:17 AM
I just have an Excel spreadsheet for all that. First column: title. Second column: word count. Third: sent to. Fourth: date rejected.

On painfully few, I've had to add a Fifth: date released. I wish there were more entries in that one!

wrightmor
08-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Finally submitted a full length article instead of a brief devotional. This submission to Mature Living (Baptist press). The article is one I had been playing with for a long time, not months but years. It is a tribute to a couple of people who contributed to my faith growing up. I wrote the first sloppy, gushy draft on Dana a couple of years ago. Been revamping and revising ever since. I decided today that I can play with this thing from now on and have my sentiments locked on my processor or I can send it out and see what happens. Glad I did (whatever happens).

Deb, you are on target with excel. I just love that program. I have similar sheet set up. I have one column for words written (for submission), words written (personal journal) pages read (pleasure), pages read (craft- writing)
and at the end of month, I have the bottom line total both actual and average for each column. Sort of a motivational tool. Have to confess I haven't used it much while in transition from FL to TN.