PDA

View Full Version : Russian language help. Slang term/insult needed

crunchyblanket
08-01-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm looking for an insult or slang term meaning 'weakling', or something to that effect. It doesn't have to be obscene, although I don't mind if it is.

A little context: One character, an older man, is chiding a younger man who has suffered a gunshot wound and thinks he's going to die. He's basically trying to 'tough love' him into getting back up. In English, it'd be something like "What are you, a damn weakling? Get the hell up."

Any word to this effect will do :)

L.C. Blackwell
08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Not sure how much this will help, but--ah--here you go. And take the warning label seriously. Public obscenity is not acceptable in Russia, and certainly not where women or children are present.

http://www.russki-mat.net/e/Russian.php

It is, however, more likely to be heard in a military setting, or among criminal populations.

crunchyblanket
08-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the link! This is within a military setting, although it'll pretty much be the only obscenity in the whole piece :)

C.M. Daniels
08-03-2011, 03:59 AM
That's a cool site. In the past, I've referred to the book "D!rty Russian" for the slang I needed.

Fresie
08-06-2011, 01:16 AM
I absolutely agree with Lucy in that in Russia heavy swearing is not acceptable in public! But having said that, you don't need a really obscene word. A perfectly acceptable and still insulting word in this context could be "tryapka" (TRYAH-pkah, first syllable stressed), , "a dishcloth", meaning exactly that: a weak man/boy without a will of his own. "You bloody tryapka, get the hell up!" It's not swearing per se, but it's still very hurting.

crunchyblanket
08-06-2011, 02:10 AM
I absolutely agree with Lucy in that in Russia heavy swearing is not acceptable in public! But having said that, you don't need a really obscene word. A perfectly acceptable and still insulting word in this context could be "tryapka" (TRYAH-pkah, first syllable stressed), , "a dishcloth", meaning exactly that: a weak man/boy without a will of his own. "You bloody tryapka, get the hell up!" It's not swearing per se, but it's still very hurting.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!