Russian language help. Slang term/insult needed

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for an insult or slang term meaning 'weakling', or something to that effect. It doesn't have to be obscene, although I don't mind if it is.

A little context: One character, an older man, is chiding a younger man who has suffered a gunshot wound and thinks he's going to die. He's basically trying to 'tough love' him into getting back up. In English, it'd be something like "What are you, a damn weakling? Get the hell up."

Any word to this effect will do :)

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how much this will help, but--ah--here you go. And take the warning label seriously. Public obscenity is not acceptable in Russia, and certainly not where women or children are present.

http://www.russki-mat.net/e/Russian.php

It is, however, more likely to be heard in a military setting, or among criminal populations.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
I absolutely agree with Lucy in that in Russia heavy swearing is not acceptable in public! But having said that, you don't need a really obscene word. A perfectly acceptable and still insulting word in this context could be "tryapka" (TRYAH-pkah, first syllable stressed), , "a dishcloth", meaning exactly that: a weak man/boy without a will of his own. "You bloody tryapka, get the hell up!" It's not swearing per se, but it's still very hurting.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with Lucy in that in Russia heavy swearing is not acceptable in public! But having said that, you don't need a really obscene word. A perfectly acceptable and still insulting word in this context could be "tryapka" (TRYAH-pkah, first syllable stressed), , "a dishcloth", meaning exactly that: a weak man/boy without a will of his own. "You bloody tryapka, get the hell up!" It's not swearing per se, but it's still very hurting.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!