That's not the title of my story, but yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Just got a fast rejection for a story I had really high hopes for, and the letter didn't even get my story's title right. Close enough that I have no reason to believe it was a mix-up, but far enough away that I feel if the piece had held any interest past the first page, it would've been obvious that the title was wrong. (Think like if an editor wrote Suzanne Collins a rejection letter that said, "Thank you for sending us your novel, Catching Snow.)

So, yeah, I'm not mad, I know editors have a lot of stories to read, they're human and make mistakes and all that.

It's just at least when the title's correct I can pretend that my work didn't fail at page 2.

EDIT: Was browsing Miss Snark's blog and found a quote that made me feel much better:

People deal with feeling powerless in a variety of ways. Some channel their energy into writing so well they get published. Other blog about rejection.

Off to get some sleep and work on the former in the morning. :)

Last edited:

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I'm sorry. I've been there. One agent not only got the title wrong when she rejected my partial, she got the whole genre wrong. She told me the dystopian market was crowded, but my book wasn't dystopian AT ALL. Made me wonder if she even read it.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I had one of those too. Mistakes are one of the hazards of agents' attempting personalized rejections. It's still better than a form, and better than silence. Wallow, then write.

ETA: Congrats on your deal, Taylormillgirl!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.