online publication credits

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
I've just had a poem I've written accepted to an online poetry journal. It's a new journal, but it looks nice. Is this a writing credit? Can I list it under publications on a resume? (obviously after it is published, not before.) How are these things seen these days?

Also, if you know how it is listed on a resume, I would appreciate that information, too.

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Unless the journal is backed by a legit publisher or a college (ex.: Fordham University Press), it is not going to impress an agent.

If you're trying to sell fiction, not poetry, then it won't impress an agent. They're two different types and markets of writing.

You tout that as an afterthought, not a major accomplishment. Even if it's a major accomplishment to you, it won't count.

Generally, you only mention something if it paid real money.

If you don't have paying credits to your resume, it's all right. Ultimately the writing that the agent sees is all that will matter to her. If she thinks she can sell your words, she'll get back to you.

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Gillhoughly. I should have clarified-I have an agent and I write non-fiction. I am thinking more about building the dreaded 'platform'. I had the idea that any online reference could potentially lead people back to my own web site. But no, it doesn't pay real money.
I'm sort of wondering to what degree online journals have meaning in the professional world. I am taking it from your response that unless the site is backed by a legit publisher or a university, it may not.

graywillow

Start with a bang.
Registered
Reaction score
I would disagree, to a degree, as you're adding fiction to a general platform that primarily serves your non-fiction. In that case, I know -- as a fact -- that agents and editors both will be interested in (a) the quality of the journal and, related, (b) the audience/reach of the journal -- if it's a matter of getting your name out there, whether it's backed by a "legit" (this can mean so many things, so don't use it as a standard) or academic press, it will be a bonus either way. It certainly won't match The New Yorker, but don't let that stop you from using it to your advantage.

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
That's heartening, graywillow. I am hoping to do that. The online journal looked nice to me and it's theme is related in some ways to my nonfiction.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Having a poem published online that's outside the scope of your NF book isn't likely to generate book sales. If the readership is small (unique hits per month,) you might look more like you're padding the resume than offering something helpful. Do some research on the average number of unique hits per month each poem usually gets before deciding.

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Amy,
Do you have any suggestions as to how one would find out a hit per poem statistic? It seems like it might a hard bit of research to do. I could be missing something obvious, do tell.
The theme of the poetry journal does have a connection to my nonfiction. If it is helpful that is great, if not, that's fine too. I enjoyed writing the poem. I'm sure it can't hurt. I just wondered if anyone had personal experience with online publishing being helpful to them in any way. Thanks

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I spaced when I typed that. I had a website with an invisible counter to track page views and unique users. I wasn't thinking about a website that wasn't your own. I'd email the owner of the site and say you wanted to use the poem being selected for publication on vitae and if she has viewership stats in case you're asked.
Did you retain the copyright for the poem? If you're planning to use to in your NF book you can say something like: XYZ poem, previously published in ABC Magazine September 25, 2011, is also the opening of BOOK TITLE (or whatever.) That way you get the poem into the resume but you don't over inflate the importance.
I assume your poem will have its own page(s.)

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Amy! I don't think the poem will go in the book, but we'll see. The journal has first electronic publishing rights only, all other rights revert to the writer after the poem is published.