• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Murder on the A34

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickbrookes1991

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.
Don't know if this is the right section.
If any of you are British you may have come across this book.
I have recently been shown a book passed down through the family, the book is called 'Murder on the A34' by Harry Hawkes.
It is a rare book to find and was written in the 1960s, don't know if any of you have read it but it is a book about a Murderer from the Midlands located in the United Kingdom.
Just wanted to know what you all thought about it and if there are any copies out there, this book is a difficult book to find, and I have only ever seen one copy which is not in its best state, never seen this book for sale.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of it. I checked Amazon and a couple of other sites and it's shown as "not available".

If you're looking for another copy, you might try Alibris or one of the other used book websites. They will keep a record of your request and e-mail you if a copy for sale is ever located.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone still scratching their heads in puzzlement, this is the advert in question.

Awwww ... That's me in a few decades years months ...

Thank you for posting it.

Last edited:

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone still scratching their heads in puzzlement, this is the advert in question.

Lol, very cute. Still, gotta say it's not a patch on James Nesbitt. He's the king of Yellow Pages adverts.

"You sort out this terrible mess for me, and I will pay you double. You're very very nice people."

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Never heard of the book, but I just got home from a drive that included the A34. Does that count? Oh, and no one tried to murder me. :D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I can only find 3 sources for it here. ETA: hmm won't let me add the link. Okay, you can use this page to find all different places a book might be. I used teh Metasearch option, which took me to what I've said below

If you click through to the British Catalogue, here, you'll be able to see which libraries hold a copy. Maybe you could contact them?

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com

Man, it's been so long since I saw that. It's a brilliant piece of work in its own tiny way. A story in miniature, told in 50 seconds. A sympathetic character has a problem, which we see him working hard at trying to solve, not giving up despite constant setbacks. When all seems lost he finally finds what he's looking for and there's even time for a little twist at the end. Perfect!

Oops, sorry, thread derail!

Last edited:

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
(grins)

I live a whole two miles from the A34. Just drove up it, in fact.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Were you murdered?

If you're seriously trying to find a hard-to-find book, I recommend Abe Books. It lists the inventory of independent booksellers from different countries.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
(grins)

I live a whole two miles from the A34. Just drove up it, in fact.

Beat ya, It's my neck-of-the-woods (so to speak). And YES I was busy at the time of the murders...:D Scary crap at the time though, erm, so I heard...

I think I've heard of the book that covered it. What exactly do you want to know? Just whether it's a collector's?

caspermac

Registered
Reaction score
I'm under 30 & get the J.R.Hartley joke, but only because of those annoying '100 best' programs. You could try a website called booksleuth, it's usually used by people who can't remember the title of the book they're looking for but it might be worth a shot. Just make sure you're on the UK version and not the US version.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
*waits for everybody under thirty and British to not get that joke :ROFL:*

Hasn't everybody in Britain seen that advert by now? It's always on clip shows...

Status
Not open for further replies.