Cowboys and Aliens

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from seeing this.

It was incredible on all counts.

The cast was marvelous and everyone showed up for work, turning in stellar performances. It's so good to see Harrison Ford at the top of his game again. The supporting cast did that: support while still making their mark, holding their own and making a difference.

The writing was great. Every character had a story arc that fit their role. The mix of genres was fantastic--the movie was true to both yet used the mix to bring unexpected twists and plays against standard tropes, even while those tropes were honored. And deaths made a difference. If you'd been introduced to a character and that character died, it makes a clear difference in the story.

Oh, and trust the movie with the dog. Just saying.

Excellent excellent movie. Will be seeing it again before the end of the weekend, possibly at full price, I've no doubt. This is an auto-Blu-ray buy.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Have to admit, I rolled my eyes when I first heard about this movie, a few months back. But the reviews I've heard are surprisingly good. Bless 'em if they can actually make the concept work.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to see this, but I'm going in with no expectations.

I do expect Spielberg to pick up an Oscar next year for War Horse.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
It's playing at the local drive-in this weekend and I want to see it so badly.

Deleyan - how gruesome are the deaths? I want to take my kids and the drive-in usually only shows kid-friendly movies, but what do you think?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For Hollywood, it's not that gross. Many video games are far more graphic. Aliens like to bite people in the throat. The only way to kill aliens are in bellies (when it's exposed--more understanding when you see it) and in the head, so there's plenty of PG-13ish rifle blasts and spears to the aliens' heads, but you don't get any gratuitous close-ups or anything.

My kids would've been able to handle it, but I know not all kids can. I'd put the graphic violence level just a tad above ID4, if that helps any.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Just got back from Cowboys and Aliens. Overall, popcorn for the brain, and we enjoyed it as such. Daniel Craig's American accent souds a lot like he decided to just imitate Harrison Ford's voice.

It was completely predictable, used all the tropes, had one really cheap easy-out of a scene, and one cheap subplot resolution. Craig is hot-hot-hot, and does the "quiet but dangerous man" perfectly.

My recommendation: Spend matinee money on it, but no more.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I wasn't too sure about this. I'm very picky with what I see in the theater thanks to ridiculous ticket prices, but I think I'll check this out this weekend.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I cannot wait!!!! We're going tomorrow night!!

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've been waiting to see his for months, but I'm laid off and too broke to go. My heart is breaking....

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A good, fun movie. It's a proper western, I'd say, but with out of this world bad guys.
And Daniel Craig wears chaps all through it. Works.
Plenty of scowling from the male leads. Adds to the fun.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Drats, I was hoping I would be able to watch it at the Turkey Shoot.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Just got back from Cowboys and Aliens. Overall, popcorn for the brain, and we enjoyed it as such. Daniel Craig's American accent souds a lot like he decided to just imitate Harrison Ford's voice.

It was completely predictable, used all the tropes, had one really cheap easy-out of a scene, and one cheap subplot resolution. Craig is hot-hot-hot, and does the "quiet but dangerous man" perfectly.

My recommendation: Spend matinee money on it, but no more.

100% agree with this review.

I had fairly grounded expectations for the movie. The preview plays it off to be a western horror flick with aliens. The first thirty minutes or so were fairly well done, but the suspense and character development flat lines after that.

The only special effect worth seeing is Craig's pants. Some impressive tailoring done with those.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I watched this show on The History Channel (I think...) about ancient aliens. There is heavy evidence that the American West saw more than its fair share of sightings and encounters. Sure, Hollywood kinda ran with the premise, but it is founded in research and documents from the period. Very cool.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, we've got aliens that built neural interfaces into their guns...and they didn't program in a "don't shoot the user" function?

I'm pretty sure we could make a gun that does that right now!

(And more than that, it's WORKS with humans!?)

(AND WHY WASN'T THE MC RESTRAINED!?)

And what the HELL kind of evolutionary track requires you to expose your internal organs to use your fine manipulators?

And why can the aliens travel through the stars...and yet have the same tactical acumen as a load of rabid pitbulls?

"HEY GUYS! LETS ALL RUN DOWN A TUNNEL INTO A MACHINE GUN! HERP DERP!"

The GRABOIDS were smarter than these things. And Graboids weren't even tool users!

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Zoomb, I would report you for spoilers but I think people deserve to know...

Did these aliens look like bizarro ninja turtles to anyone else?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This is almost as big a plothole as the "Shoot the damn monkeys" in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

I saw that trailer, and I was like, "Hey, shoot the monkeys. You have guns. They have spears."

"But there are like...twenty of them!"

"SHOOT THE DAMN MONKEYS!"

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
LOVED it! :D

Oh, and I really liked Paul Dano as Percy even though he wasn't in much of the film. I always enjoy his performances.

Yeah, the aliens are dumb, but it didn't really bother me. The fact that the girl knew how to use the technology shows that perhaps the technology is not exclusive to this alien race. It may be mass produced to fit all interplanetary species' need!

Oh an I'm so glad
that Ella did not come back after being blown up. For a minute I thought she was going to, which would have REALLY stretched my suspension of disbelief.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I thought maybe she came back as a humming bird. Did it not bother you that these dumb aliens were able to defeat a race of other aliens that could not be killed? lolz