PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys and Aliens

DeleyanLee
07-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Just got back from seeing this.

It was incredible on all counts.

The cast was marvelous and everyone showed up for work, turning in stellar performances. It's so good to see Harrison Ford at the top of his game again. The supporting cast did that: support while still making their mark, holding their own and making a difference.

The writing was great. Every character had a story arc that fit their role. The mix of genres was fantastic--the movie was true to both yet used the mix to bring unexpected twists and plays against standard tropes, even while those tropes were honored. And deaths made a difference. If you'd been introduced to a character and that character died, it makes a clear difference in the story.

Oh, and trust the movie with the dog. Just saying.

Excellent excellent movie. Will be seeing it again before the end of the weekend, possibly at full price, I've no doubt. This is an auto-Blu-ray buy.

defcon6000
07-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Yay! Glad to hear it's awesome! I'll be seeing this tomorrow, can't wait! :D

Alessandra Kelley
07-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Have to admit, I rolled my eyes when I first heard about this movie, a few months back. But the reviews I've heard are surprisingly good. Bless 'em if they can actually make the concept work.

gothicangel
07-30-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm going to see this, but I'm going in with no expectations.

I do expect Spielberg to pick up an Oscar next year for War Horse.

dolores haze
07-30-2011, 12:16 AM
It's playing at the local drive-in this weekend and I want to see it so badly.

Deleyan - how gruesome are the deaths? I want to take my kids and the drive-in usually only shows kid-friendly movies, but what do you think?

DeleyanLee
07-30-2011, 12:25 AM
For Hollywood, it's not that gross. Many video games are far more graphic. Aliens like to bite people in the throat. The only way to kill aliens are in bellies (when it's exposed--more understanding when you see it) and in the head, so there's plenty of PG-13ish rifle blasts and spears to the aliens' heads, but you don't get any gratuitous close-ups or anything.

My kids would've been able to handle it, but I know not all kids can. I'd put the graphic violence level just a tad above ID4, if that helps any.

dolores haze
07-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks. It sounds like they could handle it.

Calla Lily
07-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Just got back from Cowboys and Aliens. Overall, popcorn for the brain, and we enjoyed it as such. Daniel Craig's American accent souds a lot like he decided to just imitate Harrison Ford's voice.

It was completely predictable, used all the tropes, had one really cheap easy-out of a scene, and one cheap subplot resolution. Craig is hot-hot-hot, and does the "quiet but dangerous man" perfectly.

My recommendation: Spend matinee money on it, but no more.

Eldritch
07-30-2011, 01:11 AM
I've been looking forward to this movie for a long time. Going to see it tomorrow. Can't wait.

Cybernaught
07-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the post. I wasn't too sure about this. I'm very picky with what I see in the theater thanks to ridiculous ticket prices, but I think I'll check this out this weekend.

KTC
07-30-2011, 01:30 AM
I cannot wait!!!! We're going tomorrow night!!

Victoria
07-30-2011, 01:56 AM
I've been waiting to see his for months, but I'm laid off and too broke to go. My heart is breaking....

Leah J. Utas
07-30-2011, 03:58 PM
A good, fun movie. It's a proper western, I'd say, but with out of this world bad guys.
And Daniel Craig wears chaps all through it. Works.
Plenty of scowling from the male leads. Adds to the fun.

Eldritch
07-30-2011, 11:56 PM
And Daniel Craig wears chaps all through it.

LOL. Yes he did, and it was kind of distracting at times.

I really enjoyed the movie. It did not disappoint.

Xelebes
07-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Drats, I was hoping I would be able to watch it at the Turkey Shoot.

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 12:00 AM
Just got back from Cowboys and Aliens. Overall, popcorn for the brain, and we enjoyed it as such. Daniel Craig's American accent souds a lot like he decided to just imitate Harrison Ford's voice.

It was completely predictable, used all the tropes, had one really cheap easy-out of a scene, and one cheap subplot resolution. Craig is hot-hot-hot, and does the "quiet but dangerous man" perfectly.

My recommendation: Spend matinee money on it, but no more.

100% agree with this review.

I had fairly grounded expectations for the movie. The preview plays it off to be a western horror flick with aliens. The first thirty minutes or so were fairly well done, but the suspense and character development flat lines after that.

The only special effect worth seeing is Craig's pants. Some impressive tailoring done with those.

Zoombie
07-31-2011, 01:39 AM
Those aliens were DUMB.

Brutal Mustang
07-31-2011, 02:01 AM
It was incredible on all counts.

Glad it's good. I want to see it. I saw a little black horse in the previews that looked like a clone of my mustang.

PS. Love your avatar. Can't wait for that to come out, too.

Victoria
07-31-2011, 02:41 AM
I watched this show on The History Channel (I think...) about ancient aliens. There is heavy evidence that the American West saw more than its fair share of sightings and encounters. Sure, Hollywood kinda ran with the premise, but it is founded in research and documents from the period. Very cool.

Zoombie
07-31-2011, 02:51 AM
So, we've got aliens that built neural interfaces into their guns...and they didn't program in a "don't shoot the user" function?

I'm pretty sure we could make a gun that does that right now!

(And more than that, it's WORKS with humans!?)

(AND WHY WASN'T THE MC RESTRAINED!?)

And what the HELL kind of evolutionary track requires you to expose your internal organs to use your fine manipulators?

And why can the aliens travel through the stars...and yet have the same tactical acumen as a load of rabid pitbulls?

"HEY GUYS! LETS ALL RUN DOWN A TUNNEL INTO A MACHINE GUN! HERP DERP!"

The GRABOIDS were smarter than these things. And Graboids weren't even tool users!

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 03:02 AM
Zoomb, I would report you for spoilers but I think people deserve to know...

Did these aliens look like bizarro ninja turtles to anyone else?

Zoombie
07-31-2011, 03:05 AM
This is almost as big a plothole as the "Shoot the damn monkeys" in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

I saw that trailer, and I was like, "Hey, shoot the monkeys. You have guns. They have spears."

"But there are like...twenty of them!"

"SHOOT THE DAMN MONKEYS!"

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 03:10 AM
LOVED it! :D

Oh, and I really liked Paul Dano as Percy even though he wasn't in much of the film. I always enjoy his performances.

Yeah, the aliens are dumb, but it didn't really bother me. The fact that the girl knew how to use the technology shows that perhaps the technology is not exclusive to this alien race. It may be mass produced to fit all interplanetary species' need!

Oh an I'm so glad that Ella did not come back after being blown up. For a minute I thought she was going to, which would have REALLY stretched my suspension of disbelief.

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 03:18 AM
I thought maybe she came back as a humming bird. Did it not bother you that these dumb aliens were able to defeat a race of other aliens that could not be killed? lolz

Zoombie
07-31-2011, 03:19 AM
She's a Time Lord!

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 03:22 AM
I thought the Hummingbird was a spirit guide because it was the same one as the one that showed up during Jake's dream/memory recall. And seems like if you blow up Ella she'll die - I think. So if you blow up her people they'll die also?

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 03:28 AM
Zoomb, I would report you for spoilers but I think people deserve to know...

Did these aliens look like bizarro ninja turtles to anyone else?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Ninja crab/turtle things. At least they weren't just oversized insects.

I thought maybe she came back as a humming bird. Did it not bother you that these dumb aliens were able to defeat a race of other aliens that could not be killed? lolz

I thought the Hummingbird was a spirit guide because it was the same one as the one that showed up during Jake's dream/memory recall. And seems like if you blow up Ella she'll die - I think. So if you blow up her people they'll die also?

[spoiler discussion]I thought the humming bird was the spirit of his dead wife/lover, actually. It showed up at the house where they lived and guided him out of it at the end. That had nothing to do with Ella.[/spoiler discussion]

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 03:31 AM
[spoiler discussion]I thought the humming bird was the spirit of his dead wife/lover, actually. It showed up at the house where they lived and guided him out of it at the end. That had nothing to do with Ella.[/spoiler discussion]
After some thought, I have to agree.

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 03:50 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Ninja crab/turtle things. At least they weren't just oversized insects.

idk... Ella sees it in his dream. Maybe she reached out to give him closure for his wife. I don't really want to give the movie too much credit by analyzing it. lol

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 03:55 AM
Ella didn't do it. The Shaman's peyote (or whatever drug) did. Ella just negotiated the ritual.

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 03:59 AM
Plus, who knows what Ella can see. Spoiler: Maybe she has alien 6th sense.

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 04:03 AM
That's fine, def--but if that's so, it doesn't explain why he saw it in the epilogue. ;)

(yes, sometimes I think about these things far too much. LOL!)

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm not basing her seeing the bird on anything nuanced. She looked straight at it while it was hovering in front of her face and then smiled. I took that to mean she could see what he saw or something.

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 04:35 AM
Ah. KO. But that would still make it his vision. She's just an eaves-dropper. ;)

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 04:45 AM
Guess so. What were we suppose to feel melancholy for? His lover or Ella? Because it makes sense that he would focus on the lover at the house but then, why the final remark anchoring it to Ella? I'm thinking... confused imagery and focus.

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 04:46 AM
Hmmm, I don't remember that last remark. Looks like I have an excuse to see it again. :D

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 04:47 AM
Ah. KO. But that would still make it his vision. She's just an eaves-dropper. ;)

On second thought, if the peyote spirit guide is to be taken literally then she's seeing something that's really there...

whatever.

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 04:48 AM
Hmmm, I don't remember that last remark. Looks like I have an excuse to see it again. :D

Right. The "better place" line. Now I can't remember who they were talking about. :Shrug:

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 04:50 AM
Now you have a good excuse to see it again too. ;) LOL!

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 04:51 AM
I feel I have a better excuse to gouge out an eyeball with a spork. :P

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 04:55 AM
:evil

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 05:04 AM
:e2violin:

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 05:04 AM
It's possible that the wife/girlfriend became a spirit guide. This does seem to get a bit into Native American animism, so it's a possibility since aliens exist in this universe.

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 05:05 AM
That was my take on it, def.

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 05:09 AM
No one could say you're wrong, def.

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 05:11 AM
No one could say you're wrong, def.
But no one could say I'm right either, hehe. Well, maybe the screenwriters could. :D

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 05:12 AM
At least they didn't lose the dog, like the writers of Gladiator did.

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 05:13 AM
So, we've got aliens that built neural interfaces into their guns...and they didn't program in a "don't shoot the user" function?

I'm pretty sure we could make a gun that does that right now!

(And more than that, it's WORKS with humans!?)

I just wanted to add, the gun appeared to work based on the how much "heart" and "emotion" the user has, which I'm pretty sure is far beyond our technology.

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 05:14 AM
At least they didn't lose the dog, like the writers of Gladiator did.

My fave character. :D

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 05:16 AM
I also like that Dog was just a dog, in search of a good home. Even the dog got a story arc. LOL!

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 05:20 AM
Yeah, good ol' dog. :) Spoiler: Thought they would kill off the dog in that one scene in the ship.

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 05:21 AM
Dog was too smart. ;)

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 05:26 AM
They should re-title it Cowboys, Aliens & Dog.

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 05:28 AM
I was thinking "Cowboys, Dog, Indians and, oh yeah, Aliens". :)

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 05:35 AM
Don't forgot the woman! ...Unless you consider her a cowboy. :Huh: Oh, and the kid too.

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 05:36 AM
She had a hat, a horse and a gun. What more does she need to count? LOL!

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 05:39 AM
A penis?

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 05:39 AM
She had more balls than some of those guys. That's enough in my book. ;)

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 05:40 AM
Haha, tis true. But then again, we don't really know what she was. o.O

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 06:38 AM
She had more balls than some of those guys. That's enough in my book. ;)

So that's what they were all gaping at when she stepped bare @$$ nekked out of the fire. I knew I was missing something

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Haha, tis true. But then again, we don't really know what she was. o.O

I vaguely recall this big info dump where she explains that her species was wiped out by the ninja turtles for their gold. Pretty sure she's an alien.

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 07:09 AM
I know she's an alien, but she also mentions she "took on this form" so she could prevent the same thing happening to Earth. So for all we know, she could be one ugly son-of-a-bitch.

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 07:25 AM
Oh... THAT's what you meant. I get it now.

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Almost forgot...

A penis?

QFT

MttStrn
07-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Has anyone who has seen the movie read the comic on which it is based? I am looking forward to seeing it but from the trailers and comments here it looks like they have strayed far afield of the source material.

DeleyanLee
07-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Never read (or heard of) the comic, sorry. But that doesn't surprise me. It is Hollywood. Doesn't mean both can't be enjoyable in their own right.

defcon6000
07-31-2011, 07:14 PM
There's a comic? o.O

Never read (or heard of) the comic, sorry. But that doesn't surprise me. It is Hollywood. Doesn't mean both can't be enjoyable in their own right.
Ditto.

Gale Haut
07-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Has anyone who has seen the movie read the comic on which it is based? I am looking forward to seeing it but from the trailers and comments here it looks like they have strayed far afield of the source material.

I've read the prologue (http://www.drunkduck.com/CowboysAndAliens/4823277/) and scanned a little elsewhere. They don't seem even vaguely similar to me aside from the fact that there are Cowboys and Aliens in each.

KTC
07-31-2011, 07:31 PM
They should re-title it Cowboys, Aliens & Dog.

YES!

I loved it. It had, IMHO, just the right amount of cheese that the old westerns had...the love, the happy ending...everything. I just dug it in a retro nostalgic way. And, hey, aliens too.

KTC
07-31-2011, 07:33 PM
A penis?

in her real form, she had 18 of those.

Zoombie
08-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Do you know what this film REALLY lacked?

A theme! Not a artistic theme...no, a MUSICAL THEME.

Good movies always have really memorable musical themes to go with them. Even bad movies can have awesome music that elevates them.

This one has ZILCHO interesting music.

And that makes me :(

defcon6000
08-01-2011, 05:20 PM

You mean like a theme song? Cowboys aaaaaaand Aliens! Cowboys aaaaaand Aliens! Dun, dun, DUN!

Because that would be awesome.

DeleyanLee
08-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Good movies always have really memorable musical themes to go with them. Even bad movies can have awesome music that elevates them.

This one has ZILCHO interesting music.

And that makes me :(

It also lacked seriously quotable lines, which is a big mark against it become a classic movie. But it was still fun, just not excellent fun.

Zoombie
08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Well, lets look at one of my favorite movies ever: Galaxy Quest.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kNXJ6KRkaY)
Totally unforgettable theme that's used at various dramatic and approis points in the film.

It's got one of those things we call a recognizable melody. I can't remember a single goddamn melody from the entirety of Cowboys and Aliens, and that's really sad.

Mark W.
08-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Saw it.

Loved it.

It really delivered on what was expected of it - an entertaining blend of genres. Was it a bit campy? Sure in spots but that only made the movie more endearing to me.

Overall, a good Saturday Night flick.

Victoria
08-14-2011, 04:26 AM
I finally got to see it today. GROOVY! Damn, Daniel Craig looks good dirty. Sure, there were a few holes, but I thought it was an overall enjoyable flick. Seriously, I thought it was brilliant that cowboys and indians joined forces to save the planet. Oh, and an alien body snatcher. Oh, I didn't even notice a lack of music. Probably too busy staring at Daniel's ass in those chaps...

veinglory
08-14-2011, 04:40 AM
A fun movie, but those intergalactic super-techy aliens sure were stupid.

EnitaMeadows
08-17-2011, 02:56 AM
To be honest, the only thing I really liked about the movie was the beautiful relationship between Harrison Ford's character and Adam Beach's character. That said, even that was fairly predictable. (SPOILERS) I knew from the moment Adam Beach started talking about listening to Harrison Ford's stories that Adam's character would die at the end. (/SPOILERS) It was predictable, but I still rather liked that part of the story. Other than that, it was...exactly what I expected it to be. :/

Dr.Gonzo
08-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I thought this was rubbish. It would've been better without the aliens. Just... Cowboys. There's a lot I don't like about Jon Favreau's directing style. It's very lazy with no fluidity. I iked the first Iron Man film, but it didn't have much to do with him. Iron Man's a cool character as is RDJ. Favreau had little to do with it. What a very boring director.

TamaraLynne
01-08-2012, 08:21 PM
I rolled my eyes at the title. Just saw the movie last night not expecting much but was excited about watching it since I wanted to be entertained. I liked it! :)
But every time the people were captured by the alien crafts I was expecting body parts to fly and a lot of blood considering it was metal grabbing a hold of them...but hey :) they were okay!

kassie
01-09-2012, 12:59 AM
I laughed at the title, not very convinced. But I really really really enjoyed this movie, and let me just say, Daniel Craig can still get it any day haha :D