four novelettes or one book

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've started to look up agents - I've not had an agent before. It seems it is best to be quite certain about my work in my initial query letter, but I'm not sure what will sell best. I have four stories I suppose will be YA or even middle school. They are a series, about 35,000 words each. I'm wondering whether they would be best sold as one book in four sections. Should I make this decision or should I pose it as the sort of thing I'd expect to ask my agent, as being the person in the know - the person with best market knowledge and best able to advise on that subject.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
A series of 35,000-word middle grade novels would work very well. MG these days seems like a harder sell for agents (at least for my books!!!) but series are much more attractive than a single long stand-alone novel.

If your books are YA, that's probably too short as a series or too long as a stand-alone. But of course, the length doesn't determine the genre -- it's the other way around. Have you read many YA and MG series to tell the difference? I suggest starting there.

graywillow

Start with a bang.
Registered
Reaction score
I have four stories I suppose will be YA or even middle school.

This is something you should decide before you query. (It's slightly alright if you're wrong, as agents can always adjust, but the answer here will determine how you query, per my comments below.)

Have you had a chance to post here for feedback?

They are a series, about 35,000 words each. I'm wondering whether they would be best sold as one book in four sections.

If it's MG, not as one book. That's 140,00 words -- which is huge-huge-huge. No chance. The agent would certainly try to sell it as a series, but they would almost surely be published as four different books.

140,000 is also a huge number for YA, when most debuts range from 55k - 100k. It would be possible to sell them as two books, with two novelettes per book, but that's not typical.

You should decide what genre you're writing for, and if it's YA, see if you can combine two and two into two novels. What is difficult about this is that, a) you have to sign with an agent, and b) at least a part of this series has to sell, but in this whole time you'll surely undergo significant revisions which might alter the scope of all four books.

Have you worked with a beta reader?

Should I make this decision or should I pose it as the sort of thing I'd expect to ask my agent, as being the person in the know - the person with best market knowledge and best able to advise on that subject.

Like I said above, you should make the decision regarding genre, as this will alter how you query, and probably should alter what the final product looks like. You might scare some agents away with talk of four huge pieces, as that's an untraditional pitch. However you do it, pitch with confidence -- this works the way it is, etc.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Great advice!

Many thanks for this advice, both of you. I thought, as you say, I should make the decision in the first place so I can be confident in my first approach to an agent. And I soooo need an agent!

I have had a couple of beta readers and have cut out a lot of waffle - I had to do this with the three YA books I have already published. The main reason I'm so unsure is that I had the other ones published at about 72k words each and I've been criticised about the length after Harry Potter etc have come out as huge books.

But your help is so very, very welcome. I'll now venture into SYW and get some feedback from others, if I can.

Many thanks.