PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Korra

Pages : [1] 2

Zoombie
07-28-2011, 12:07 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmsT63BgFPw&feature=player_embedded)

THERE CANNOT BE ENOUGH EXCLAMATION POINTS FOR HOW INCREDIBLY FUCKING BADASS THAT WAS!

Sheryl Nantus
07-28-2011, 04:35 PM
*does happy dance*

Cai
07-28-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm so excited for it! I could watch the trailer over and over again. (In fact, I do.)

Camilla Delvalle
07-29-2011, 12:48 AM
That's great! The Last Airbender is one of my favourite shows.

Zoombie
07-29-2011, 12:56 AM
I can't WAIT!

Manuel Royal
07-29-2011, 04:20 PM
So what was it, specifically, you liked about it? Use your words.

regdog
07-29-2011, 04:32 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmsT63BgFPw&feature=player_embedded)

THERE CANNOT BE ENOUGH EXCLAMATION POINTS FOR HOW INCREDIBLY FUCKING BADASS THAT WAS!

Yeah, I'll go with this

Manuel Royal
07-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Okay. I've never heard of this particular anime thing. Can anybody provide a coherent description of their feelings about this project, either positive or negative, using complete, informative sentences?

ETA: Never mind. Did a little research, and watched the trailer that Zoombie was linking to when he passed out and his nose held down the key for the exclamation point.

The premise sounds idiotic (why do people keep using the ancient imaginary "four elements"?) But, the artwork is nice. So, I guess it comes down to how good the storytelling is.

Diana Hignutt
07-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Okay. I've never heard of this particular anime thing. Can anybody provide a coherent description of their feelings about this project, either positive or negative, using complete, informative sentences?

ETA: Never mind. Did a little research, and watched the trailer that Zoombie was linking to when he passed out and his nose held down the key for the exclamation point.

The premise sounds idiotic (why do people keep using the ancient imaginary "four elements"?) But, the artwork is nice. So, I guess it comes down to how good the storytelling is.

There's nothing imaginary about the four elements my friend, they've just changed terminology to the four states of matter--solid, liquid, gasses, and okay not matter, but energy.

pbook
07-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Just watched the trailer, looks good.

Release date not mentioned on site though, ??

Ashleigh Nicole
07-29-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm excited for Legend of Korra too, as is my older brother (who could just about be the definition textbook of a fanboy for the show; if it's on television, he's watching it). I expect it to be amazing. Oh, why is it going to be so long before the series premieres?!

I just hope the series doesn't do the impossible and suck to the point where I have to compare it to the movie. I never want to hear myself think or say, "Well, at least it's not as bad as the movie."

regdog
07-29-2011, 09:59 PM

This a a follow series to Nickelodeon's Avatar the Last Airbender series. It was one of the best shows. Premise, one person is the Avatar, master of all four elements. When the current Avatar dies, the next is born.

In each Kingdom there are benders, those who can control the element of their kingdom.

At the beginning of Airebender, the Fire Nation is nearing the end of a 100 year old war to control the world. Only two strong holds remain opposing them, Ba Sing Sei, the capital of the Earth Kingdom and the Water Tribe of the North Pole.

Aang, an airbender, and current Avatar is 12 years old and emerges from stasis to learn of the world and the extinction of the other Airbenders at the hands of the Fire Nation.

He is befriended by a brother and sister. Sokka and Katara, she's the last water bender in the southern water tribe. Their story takes the across the world so Aang can master all the elements and defeat Fire Lord Ozai before the arrival of a comet which will give the Fire Benders unlimited power and bring about the end of the war by burning everything to rubble.

The series is on DVD and well worth watching

Korra is the story of Aang and Katara's daughter, the next Avatar

Zoombie
07-30-2011, 12:28 AM

sd fbuasimsl;odminsauodnbaso

Read what Reddog said, my head just exploded.

Seriously, though, Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of those once in a lifetime shows where nearly everything works because everyone clearly cared a lot about the project. The show passes the Bacchanal test (do two women talk to one another and talk about something other than men) with flying colors and has a wide diversity of race and ethnicity.

Plus, it didn't treat it's audience like idiots.

Also, it's on Netflix, soooo yeah.

Go watch it!

LOG
07-30-2011, 01:52 AM
There's nothing imaginary about the four elements my friend, they've just changed terminology to the four states of matter--solid, liquid, gasses, and okay not matter, but energy.
Eeeyup.
That's how I've translated them in some of my novels.
I even made a little symbol for it in one: a triangle with a circle in the middle. The triangle is split into three parts that way, one for each state of matter, and then the circle in the middle is split in half like a yin-yang sign to represent energy and the lack thereof that drive the changes between states of matter.

Guardian
07-30-2011, 01:59 AM
I've been looking forward to this hardcore. I have a feeling I'll miss a lot of episodes, though.

KateSmash
07-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Korra is the story of Aang and Katara's daughter, the next Avatar

Actually, Korra is the next Avatar after Aang. She's no relation to him (as far as I know). She does, however, learn airbending from Aang and Katara's son, Tenzin.

Seriously, though, Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of those once in a lifetime shows where nearly everything works because everyone clearly cared a lot about the project. The show passes the Bacchanal test (do two women talk to one another and talk about something other than men) with flying colors and has a wide diversity of race and ethnicity.

Plus, it didn't treat it's audience like idiots.

Also, it's on Netflix, soooo yeah.

Go watch it!

All of this. All of it. (Sidenote: Bechdel Test. ;))

I can't wait for this show. Hopefully Nickelodean won't give it the scheduling troubles that plagued A:tLA. I don't think my poor heart could stand huge mid-season hiatuses again.

regdog
07-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks Kate, I knew there was a connection to Aang and Katara. It's their son who teaches her. I thought I might be wrong because the new avatar is only born when the current avatar dies.

KateSmash
07-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Don't sweat it. I'm a little obsessive. ;) Though last rumors I heard was that Korra might be Sokka and Suki's daughter/granddaughter. Don't know if I believe it, but it's nice to speculate how the creators are going to tie the two series together.

maxmordon
07-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Can't wait for it, this has awesome promised all over!

MostlyMisha
07-31-2011, 08:39 PM
THE TRAILER WAS SO AWESOME! Ugh~ I just cannot wait!!!

Love the metal bending cops~ I just keep thinking "Toph created that! Woot woot!" xDDD

I just. can't. wait.

Zoombie
07-31-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't actually think they're metalbenders. I think they've got technological aides to help them fight benders. Isn't the city supposed to be really anti-bender?

maxmordon
07-31-2011, 09:50 PM
From what I read, it seems to me the anti-benders are just a political faction in the city.

MostlyMisha
07-31-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't actually think they're metalbenders. I think they've got technological aides to help them fight benders.

At Comic-Con they talked about how the cops are metal benders and Toph's daughter is their Commissioner~

LOG
07-31-2011, 11:14 PM
At Comic-Con they talked about how the cops are metal benders and Toph's daughter is their Commissioner~
Toph had a daughter...
*Tries to absorb that idea*
*Fails*

Zoombie
08-01-2011, 08:24 AM

Head.

EXPLODES.

regdog
08-01-2011, 05:16 PM
toph's daughter (http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/317/334.jpg)

LOG
08-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Forbidden

Sorry, but this page or directory is forbidden from public viewing.

Error code: 403
Referer: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220224&page=2
Requested URL: /317/334.jpg

Cai
08-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Forbidden

Sorry, but this page or directory is forbidden from public viewing.

Error code: 403
Referer: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220224&page=2
Requested URL: /317/334.jpg

Try this page (http://thegadgetfish.tumblr.com/tagged/legend+of+korra); there are pictures of a lot of the new characters like the new Team Avatar (Korra, Bolin & Mako), Aang's descendants, the equalists, the metalbenders, and many more. (And Toph's daughter (http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lov31u5Io31qefbzqo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1312374969&Signature=dO%2FfAsH1D8Mcoy0KYdPTFYJ0Q7c%3D).)

Button
08-02-2011, 10:41 PM

*falls over laughing* XD

OMG I CAN"T WAIT.

Yes, caps. It deserves caps. When's it air? I didn't see a date.

Linds
08-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Oh, I am so so excited about this show. The first series was amazing - funny and smart and so full of awesome. I wish I knew when it is coming out...

Imbroglio
08-06-2011, 03:37 AM
I nearly did something incredibly messy in my knickers when I first saw this trailer.

Imbroglio
08-06-2011, 03:39 AM

Ouch...

Camilla Delvalle
03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Yesterday I was shocked to see that the first episode of Korra has been released. I found Korra to be a strong main character, including physical strength and fitness. When she kicks some ass it comes as no surprise. There are some other intriguing characters too, so this seems promising. My only complaint is that the villain seems boring so far.

Gilroy Cullen
03-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Yesterday I was shocked to see that the first episode of Korra has been released.

*BLINK*

Wha?!?!?

I heard that they would release it in May. There's a website that is linked to Facebook, if they get 100,000 likes and shares, they'd release the first episode a week early...

Unless I read that wrong. At which point, must to library I go to watch episode!

Solunar
03-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Only watched one or two episodes of the first series, since I never really got into the setting, but this one... This one looks good. I'll probably watch it online

The part where she does water-bending (http://youtu.be/jmsT63BgFPw?t=36s), the word in the background is 善, which is kindness, charity, etc. It's interesting, because you would expect them to put the word for water. Instead, they give personalities to the elements. It's not new, but I like the director's call on this.

Directly after that water-bending scene, we see the lady kicking ass all over the place with fire. The juxtaposition between the two, kindness and violence, leads me to think that they might be exploring using force in the name of "good" and the moral ambiguity of it. They'll probably extend it to the political arena since she's fighting a few authority figures in some shots.

The animation is really smooth and the backgrounds are gorgeous. Was there large scale battle scenes in the previous avatar? I hope this one will have all-out war since it'll look incredible with the effort the artists put into painting the scenery.

Cyia
03-22-2012, 10:32 PM
OMG, OMG, OMG.

A girl Avatar with elemental powers! Airships! Creepy new world order!

Looks at steampunk story in sigline.

OMG, OMG, OMG.

This could be really, really good timing.

:snoopy:

Camilla Delvalle
03-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Directly after that water-bending scene, we see the lady kicking ass all over the place with fire. The juxtaposition between the two, kindness and violence, leads me to think that they might be exploring using force in the name of "good" and the moral ambiguity of it. They'll probably extend it to the political arena since she's fighting a few authority figures in some shots.
Yes, the teachers did say that she lacked restraint, and then she destroyed things in the city. Maybe the bad guy will provoke her to destroy some more stuff, thus giving benders a bad reputation. Maybe she will even hurt someone and then feel a lot of guilt afterwards, like a character in one of my books, hi hi.

The animation is really smooth and the backgrounds are gorgeous. Was there large scale battle scenes in the previous avatar? I hope this one will have all-out war since it'll look incredible with the effort the artists put into painting the scenery.Yes, it gorgeous. I especially like how Korra has a very physcal presence. She's like a teenager who has just grown some muscles, but hasn't completely learned to control them yet. And yes, there were a couple of huge battles in the previous series.

Silver-Midnight
03-22-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm definitely checking this out.

maxmordon
03-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Hey, anybody fancy to watch the first episode?

http://io9.com/5896084/watch-the-premiere-of-the-legend-of-korra-on-korranation-now

thebloodfiend
03-24-2012, 11:32 PM
The animation is pretty good and I like the character design, but I don't know if I'm impressed with the writing.

I like the direction the story is taking, but I'm not seeing much originality with the characters yet, or the dialogue. I'm hoping they make good on what they said about taking a more mature turn with the show. To tell the truth, I kind of wish it had gotten picked up by Adult Swim, rather than Nick.

I'm also kind of wondering about the steampunk angle. Where would the British influence have come from? And I hope they don't follow in the footsteps of X-Men. The premise has the potential to seem a bit washed out, considering all the X-Men movies/series' that have been spawned in the past decade.

Someone else said the villains seemed boring. I agree. The AtLA team has always spawned some pretty boring villains, sans Zuko and Azula. They like making the bosses super evil, which will probably be the low point of the show. I'm hoping they also veer away from making a romance present too soon. I'd rather see Korra single for a while.

I'm glad they aren't relying too heavily on The Legend of Aang. I just wish they'd tried to break their character molds a bit with the brothers. I'm seeing too much Zuko/Aang there. Tenzin being super serious is a nice surprise, though. And not hooking up the kids of the original gang, or even having them be best friends, is interesting.

hlynn117
03-24-2012, 11:48 PM
I. Cannot. Wait. I watched the entire Avatar series over one weekend, and went back and rewatched most of it during the week.

Manuel Royal
03-25-2012, 03:33 AM
There's nothing imaginary about the four elements my friend, they've just changed terminology to the four states of matter--solid, liquid, gasses, and okay not matter, but energy.I think the word you want is "plasma". But, no, the four (or five, or whatever, depending upon the culture involved) elements are not good descriptions of the classical states of matter. That had to wait for people to gradually develop real science.

The series actually does sound interesting. I'll have to check it out. (Though lately I've become reluctant to risk another time commitment; I find myself perversely hoping a new thing won't be too interesting. Sad.)

Liz_cm
03-25-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm excited, I caught wind of the first episode so I am excited for when the next episode comes.

bickazer
03-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Watched the 2 episodes on KorraNation over the weekend and I'm still squealing and flailing.

I think I may love this show more than its predecessor. The story seems a lot less straightforward Hero's Journey-ish and as a protagonist Korra appeals to me more than Aang. Plus seriously, how many action-adventure kids' shows not aimed at only girls have nonwhite female protagonists? Not gonna lie, I'd love Korra for that alone.

Liz_cm
03-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Saw both episodes and I'm excited for the series. This is going to be great, and I do agree with Bickazer with the female protagonist being none-white.

maxmordon
03-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Interesting little article from io9.com, never had thought of the main conflict as a nature Vs. Science affair:

http://io9.com/5894969/is-the-legend-of-korra-anti+science

LilliCray
03-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Omigosh I am SO freaking excited for this show. (Definitely a nice change from the crappy depressed week I've been having.)

Sadly, I can't get the site with the first two episodes to work. :cry: WHY DO YOU HATE ME, LIFE????

...ah, well. Eventually, I will be able to see them.

...I hate waiting. This looks too epic to do anything so mundane as *wait* for it, goshnabit!

CharacterInWhite
03-30-2012, 03:19 AM
I like this show for dabbling in the philosophies of martial arts, so I was happy about the airbending training session from episode 2.

I'm a little worried that they're going to use the professional bending tournaments as little more than an excuse to pump each episode full of action. Seems like lazy writing. :P

amlptj
04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
I dont know if you guys already know but The first two episodes are on iTunes for FREEEEEE!!! Just watched them and i cant geek out enough right now!

KateSmash
04-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Holy, holy, holy - stuff got real fast! How on earth did Amon learn to strip bending? (Also, great way to turn the previous series' least liked aspect into something awesome this time around.)

*dances and flails with all the fangirl feels*

Cai
04-22-2012, 01:32 PM
The episodes just keep getting better. I'm really impressed. Great story, stunning animation and I love the characters.
I too am officially a fangirl.

MsJudy
04-23-2012, 05:58 AM
I'm loving it. However... I had to watch it with 3 teen-age boys, who kept pointing out all the inconsistencies between the rules of bending now vs. the old show. For example, in the pro-bending matches, the fighters "run out of juice." Back in the battles against the firebenders under Zuko, nobody every ran out of anything! So... what gives?

It kind of takes away from the story when you have 3 critics in the room. *sigh*

Gilroy Cullen
04-23-2012, 04:28 PM
WHY DO YOU HATE ME, LIFE????

Sokka: The universe hates me.
Toph: Well, you make it so easy.

(FIFY. ;))

Gilroy Cullen
04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm loving it. However... I had to watch it with 3 teen-age boys, who kept pointing out all the inconsistencies between the rules of bending now vs. the old show. For example, in the pro-bending matches, the fighters "run out of juice." Back in the battles against the firebenders under Zuko, nobody every ran out of anything! So... what gives?

I'm sure this has something to do with personal energy waning and it effecting their bending, rather than the bending itself.

Besides, war does things to psyches to push personal stamina beyond normal control.

Gilroy Cullen
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Lots of comments on the OMG wonderful show.

- the polar bear dog is a unique twist. I guess every Avatar has an animal companion, though they never suggested such with the original series.
- I like how they're linking the previous series with related characters. (police chief Lynn Bafong.) Though sometimes, I wonder about the intervening years. Did they keep Bafong for the power of the name or did Toph not marry?
- What relation does Amon have to Zuko or Osai? Could this somehow relate to what Aang did to the Phoenix King?
- Pro Bending Matches seems interesting. Would love to know why and how they came about.
- Are the only air benders those on the island of Republic city?

So much awesomeness to this show. So many questions to be answered...

thebloodfiend
04-24-2012, 02:48 AM
Lots of comments on the OMG wonderful show.

- the polar bear dog is a unique twist. I guess every Avatar has an animal companion, though they never suggested such with the original series.
- I like how they're linking the previous series with related characters. (police chief Lynn Bafong.) Though sometimes, I wonder about the intervening years. Did they keep Bafong for the power of the name or did Toph not marry?
- What relation does Amon have to Zuko or Osai? Could this somehow relate to what Aang did to the Phoenix King?
- Pro Bending Matches seems interesting. Would love to know why and how they came about.
- Are the only air benders those on the island of Republic city?

So much awesomeness to this show. So many questions to be answered...

Good questions. I have yet to see the latest episode. Crossing my fingers that I'll enjoy it. I'm still peeved about the finale of the original series, but the promo ep's were pretty good.

Zoombie
04-24-2012, 02:56 AM
I'm sure this has something to do with personal energy waning and it effecting their bending, rather than the bending itself.

I think it was more that bending is, at it's heart, a martial arts. Pushing a martial arts for an extended period is TIRING. Most of the battles we saw in the previous show didn't last for hours and hours, they were relatively quick skirmishes.

Pro-Bending matches, from what I can tell, are...quite long.

Lord Hierarch
04-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Does Anon's backstory make sense? Maybe its me... but it sounds, I don't know what the word is - convoluted?

Zoombie
04-24-2012, 03:09 AM
A friend of mine is predicting he's Firelord Ozai. I don't know...I can't wait to find out.

thebloodfiend
04-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Watched the last ep. Probably my fav out of the three. Love the animation, though I can't say I'm crazy about the "benders can do no wrong" vibe I've been getting. I'd like to know what happened to the monarchical societies and how they're going to play into the rebellion. Also, it'd be cool if Koh and the "firenation's worst nightmare" thing somehow all factored into Amon's plan. As long as there's no rush to master the elements and defeat a big bad (boring) boss. I'm sick of ticking clocks to tell the truth.

And I'd really like to know what happened to Azula and Toph. Couldn't care less about Katara/Sokka/Zuko, though. I imagine that they got married and had families, which is a huge yawn for me as I never cared for the people they hooked up with.

At the very least, I might get my Zutara this time around. Mako's kind of a dick, but I like him.

As for the Amon thing? I've never cared for Bryke's villains. They can't do real villains justice. I'm imagining a Magneto-esque reveal with this dude. Nothing too deep. Some connection to either Tenzin or Toph's daughter. I'm surprised they aren't leaning more on previous characters, or their descendants. I think that's for the best.

Zoombie
04-24-2012, 08:13 AM
I haven't been getting a "benders can do no wrong" angle. So far, I've been thinking that they've been subtly setting up the idea that the Equalists are actually right. I mean, Korra roughs up a guy whose just practicing his freedom of speech using her powers!

And, it even makes sense for a more hotheaded character like Korra to have her REAL challenge to be...growing up and realizing that just because you CAN solve things with bending (I.E, force), it does not mean you SHOULD.

My favorite rejoinder to Stalin's quote: "Violence is the solution to all problems, but it is rarely the best."

thebloodfiend
04-24-2012, 08:19 AM
I haven't been getting a "benders can do no wrong" angle. So far, I've been thinking that they've been subtly setting up the idea that the Equalists are actually right. I mean, Korra roughs up a guy whose just practicing his freedom of speech using her powers!

And, it even makes sense for a more hotheaded character like Korra to have her REAL challenge to be...growing up and realizing that just because you CAN solve things with bending (I.E, force), it does not mean you SHOULD.

My favorite rejoinder to Stalin's quote: "Violence is the solution to all problems, but it is rarely the best."

I hope you're right. Bryke has been pretty dense in the past with their messages. Well, their co-writers have. I despised the end of Jet, That Bloodbending Ep, and that ep where Aang got on his soapbox about Katara and her mother.

Are they writing all of these eps, or do they still have the same team from TLoA?

Zoombie
04-24-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm not entirely sure, but I thiiiiiink that they are. I have this weird idea that...if Avatar was their "Proof" show, like, "Hey, look, kids REALLY can take it", then Korra is their "All right, lets see what we can DO!"

Imagine it!

An entire show on par with Season 2 of Avatar...

regdog
04-24-2012, 03:08 PM
I like the series and can't wait to see where it goes.

Anon could be Ozai but that would make him roughly 120 years old. True, Bumi has 112 and still a powerhouse. Ozai may have been released from prison later in life and had more kids so maybe a son or grandson of his. Another thought I had was he could be Azula's.

KateSmash
04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
I really don't want Amon to be related to any of the old characters. It just strikes me as a little too obvious, even for Bryke. I like the theory that Koh has something to do with it. Spirits, no face, big grudge with the Avatar ... makes sense to me.

MsJudy
04-25-2012, 03:17 AM
I took Amon's backstory at face value--firebenders attacked his family and they couldn't defend themselves. That, plus the Triads that extort by using their bending, really gives the anti-bending movement some validity.

One of the things I loved best about Avatar was Zuko. A villain with a very good reason for being a villain, who over time evolved into a hero.

I hope they're going to give the new series the same kind of complexity.

Gilroy Cullen
04-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Wow, last episode was INTESNSE!

Didn't imagine an avatar being scared out of their pants.
Of course, never expected anyone other than an avatar to have the power to remove bending...

Has anyone seen the end of the twists yet? :)

AlexPiper
05-01-2012, 04:03 AM
Let's be fair. We only know a handful of Avatars (i.e., the two incarnations of the Avatar who have been the protagonists of the two series, and then Aang's four predecessors).

Yangchen: female Air Nomad, and we don't know much about her; she might have had an animal companion.
Kuruk: male from the Northern Water Tribe, and the Avatar who first came into conflict with Koh the Face-Stealer. Don't know much else about him; he might've had an animal companion.
Kyoshi: Earth Kingdom woman. We know more about her than any of the earlier Avatar incarnations, and there's no evidence she had an animal companion (but no direct evidence she didn't, either).
Roku: Man from the Fire Nation. We know more about Roku than any but Aang or Korra, and here we *have* seen his animal companion. (Fang, a red dragon.)
Aang: Male Air Nomad, who had Appa.
Korra: Female Water Tribe, who has Naga.

It's possible that Kiyoshi, Kuruk and Yangchen had animal companions that we never saw in the limited bits of their lives that we've seen. But it could also be that Roku's close bond with Fang was formative enough that even in later incarnations, the Avatar seeks out an animal companion to fill that role in his or her life.

Zoombie
05-01-2012, 04:50 AM
I just saw Voices in the night!

THOUGHTS!

Who else thinks Sokka gave Ford Motors...er...I mean Future Industries their first payment? It's just the kind of crazy plan that Sokka would go for!

The Equalists keep seeming like...not that bad. Frankly, if I were a non-bender, I'd want to learn chi-blocking just in case I needed to use it. I mean, Aman is clearly a megalomaniac, but the scariest kinds of bad guys are the ones who have a really good point.

OH MY GOD THE OUTFITS IN THIS SHOW ARE AMAZING.

1920 big band and jazz! GLEE!

Asami Sato is SO VERY SEXY.

Flashbacks!

OLD SOKKA! OLD TOPH! OLD AANG! They all look immediately recognizable, and yet aged! Old Sokka looks so humorless...I'm so nostalgic!

*rewatches the old show*

Katrina S. Forest
05-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Just saw Voices in the Night as well!

Adult Sokka looked so serious, I didn't recognize him at first.

And, okay, I confess, it's driving me crazy that we haven't seen either any images of Zuko beyond his teenage years or any of his kids. (Who, since they'd be part of the royal family back in the Fire Nation, you'd kinda think would be important.) I feel like they're going to set up Korra with the firebender in the group just to appease the Zutara fans.

I also want to know who besides Katara is still alive. (She's careful to say most, not all, of her friends are gone.) I'm placing my bets on Suki.

I think Amon is a descendent of someone from the old series, and I think his backstory is only half true. I just have no idea which half. (Hmm, maybe he's Zuko's kid? His age sounds about right, and it would be accurate for him to say that his father was attacked by a firebender.) I don't think he's old enough to be Ozai, and that would feel really cheap to me, recycling the same villain for another show.)

I'm always impressed with the writing on this show. Even in the old show, when they tried to drive the message a little too hard, it's still way above the writing of most shows aimed at that age group.

thebloodfiend
05-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Just watched voices. The animation keeps getting better and better.

The jazz just seemed out of place, imo, though. I do like the change in tone from the former show. I wish they'd get to developing Bolin and Mako, though, before they start introducing other characters. I like that they're working on Korra actually fearing shit (unlike the other "fearless" Katniss wannabe heroines I've seen).

Still siding with the equalists. Finally, a good explanation for why a villain doesn't just kill the hero when they've got the prime opportunity.

And I second that Asami is hot. Seems like they're following up the (lack of) Jin romance from season 2. Perhaps we can get a decent love triangle this time around. I really don't care who ends up with who as long as it's not rushed and cringe worthy.

And, I don't know if you guys read the miniseries comic (I haven't, but I read the summary). Dante Basco signed on to voice Zuko, but perhaps he died young? Perhaps Aang had to kill him? Maybe that's connected to Amon? Anything but him being Ozai.

Katrina S. Forest
05-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Finally, a good explanation for why a villain doesn't just kill the hero when they've got the prime opportunity.

He-he, I thought the exact same thing while I was watching it. ^_^

Me: Okay, what's his lame excuse for not killing her when he has the... oh. Fine, then. That's a good reason. Carry on.

thebloodfiend
05-01-2012, 05:42 AM
I feel like they're going to set up Korra with the firebender in the group just to appease the Zutara fans.

Done tastefully, I have no problem with it. But I was a Zutarian, so... :yessmiley

Seriously, though, if you include romance in your show, I think it should be done just as well as the other elements. Give it due attention without turning it into a romantic plot tumor, or making it seem like an add on. That's my problem with Young Justice.

Zoombie
05-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Me: Okay, what's his lame excuse for not killing her when he has the... oh. Fine, then. That's a good reason. Carry on.

Sames.

Lady Goddess
05-01-2012, 06:00 AM
Done tastefully, I have no problem with it. But I was a Zutarian, so... :yessmiley

Seriously, though, if you include romance in your show, I think it should be done just as well as the other elements. Give it due attention without turning it into a romantic plot tumor, or making it seem like an add on. That's my problem with Young Justice.

I swear to God I thought I was the only person who hated the romance in Young Justice. It was doing fine without it.

But I agree. As long as it's done tastefully and not forced like Young Justice was then I've got no problem with it either.

I've already decided I'm gonna buy this show when it comes out on DVD. :3 I watched the first Avatar and I was a fan, but Korra is my type of girl. I'm hanging on the edge of every ep.

Zoombie
05-01-2012, 06:07 AM
Well, lets see!

Korra likes Mako!
Mako's brother likes Korra
Mako likes Asami

So, I guess all we need Asami to do is to fall for Korra and we'll have a LOVE CUBE!

Katrina S. Forest
05-01-2012, 06:09 AM

He-he, I am too. ^_^ My thoughts were along the line of, "No, I don't forgive you for setting Zuko up with Mei. No, making Korra get together with this Team Avatar's firebender does not change that. You remain unforgiven." :)

thebloodfiend
05-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Well, lets see!

Korra likes Mako!
Mako's brother likes Korra
Mako likes Asami

So, I guess all we need Asami to do is to fall for Korra and we'll have a LOVE CUBE!

Fuck yes. Or, hell, who says they all can't just get along, threesome style? :evil

Okay, it's a kid's show, but let's remember rule 34.

Zoombie
05-01-2012, 06:11 AM
...I liked Zuko/Mai >.>

thebloodfiend
05-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Maiko = Bleh. If they'd given her more depth, I would've liked it, too. I'm usually a fan of the Winona Ryder-esque snarky girl.

Cai
05-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I also want to know who besides Katara is still alive. (She's careful to say most, not all, of her friends are gone.) I'm placing my bets on Suki.

There is a "Welcome to Republic City (http://www.nick.com/games/legend-of-korra-welcome-to-republic-city.html)" game on Nick's website in which they revealed (Spoiler!) that Zuko left his throne to his daughter and is currently rumored to wander around the world.

AlexPiper
05-01-2012, 10:09 AM
The Equalists keep seeming like...not that bad. Frankly, if I were a non-bender, I'd want to learn chi-blocking just in case I needed to use it. I mean, Aman is clearly a megalomaniac, but the scariest kinds of bad guys are the ones who have a really good point.

I've thought this since the first episode, honestly; look back at the older series, and it's startling how reliant people were on Benders. Waterbender healers... heck, the monorail/subway thing in Ba Sing Se required Earthbenders to move it. Now, however, there's technology — the Satomobiles, electricity (albeit apparently much of it generated by lightning-benders), and so on — and the balance of power somewhat equalizes, and yet the Benders are still in charge of everything.

Amon's dangerous, and he doesn't seem concerned who he burns on his way to his goal... but that goal may not be entirely wrong.

Sames.

Here also; Amon's logic for sparing Korra was refreshingly... well, logical.

Kerosene
05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Sorry for jumping in.

I'm watching this on sat morning on TV. So I watch the previews after the episode.

Was it me, or did the writers make a horrible mistake to NOT take Korra's powers away?

It would have reset the avatar training, forced her to find new ways and even have her learn non-bending ways of fighting.

Just saying: The norm frame rate is pissing me off, but the high class battles make up for it.

Mharvey
05-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Just want to throw another voice in to say, like its predecessor, this series kicks so much ass it's scary.

I was a little leery when I learned they were basically going to "wipe" the last one by setting it after almost all of the main characters had died. I think that leeriness passed within 5-10 minutes of the first episode starting.

It's got enough subtle tributes to make fans of the original series smile and after the 4th episode, I think Korra's finally won me over completely as a character.

Though, one thing I'll say, while I do like Tenzin... he's no Uncle Iroh. I miss him so much. Best character ever.

thebloodfiend
05-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I miss Iroh, too.

Zoombie
05-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I like Tenzin...but god, I miss Iroh. I miss Mako too - his voice actor. The world is diminished by his loss.

JeffRen
05-03-2012, 03:34 AM
What are your favorite episodes from The Last Airbender?

I like the one with the enormous drill.

And of course, "Tales from Ba-Sing-Se" I get tears in my eyes every time I watch Uncle Iroh sing "Leaves From the Vine" to his deceased son's memorial. I'm a grown man.

heza
05-03-2012, 06:03 AM
I like Tenzin...but god, I miss Iroh. I miss Mako too - his voice actor. The world is diminished by his loss.

I thought it was classy of them to name a LoK character after him.

So...

I also want to know who besides Katara is still alive. (She's careful to say most, not all, of her friends are gone.)

There is a "Welcome to Republic City" game on Nick's website in which they revealed (Spoiler!)that Zuko left his throne to his daughter and is currently rumored to wander around the world.

Therefore: It could STILL HAPPEN. Just so you know. Brace yourselves. Lol.

Who else thinks Sokka gave Ford Motors...er...I mean Future Industries their first payment? It's just the kind of crazy plan that Sokka would go for!

That would be awesome. And that is the kind of thing he would do, what with his love of inventing.

I just caught up on the show. I love it. I totally dig Korra. She's strong, she's human. She's going to be a lot of fun, and I see a lot of potential for development.

I was all set to embrace the rumored Korra/Mako thing to soothe my Zutaran pride, but I have to admit I'm really sort of liking Bolin. He's really funny--and totally not the jerk his brother is. Are we really having an Asami/Mako relationship? Or is she a pawn/distraction of some kind?

I'm also liking how the characters are having to struggle. Bending isn't the cure-all it was a hundred years ago. They don't win their fights quite as easily. I also appreciated that Korra got into trouble her first day in town. The old show as like the Wild West, and the Gaang did pretty much whatever they pleased, whevever, whenever--but Korra has to obey laws and answer to the police. She's very Celebrity, rather than Last Hope. I think that's an interesting take.

I just watched Voices. Did Amon have Firebender eyes?

Sheryl Nantus
05-03-2012, 03:44 PM

And of course, "Tales from Ba-Sing-Se" I get tears in my eyes every time I watch Uncle Iroh sing "Leaves From the Vine" to his deceased son's memorial. I'm a grown man.

*sniffles* me too...

I think they've done a great job in keeping in line with the original.

Anyone else notice the funky jazz clanging music that's Korra's theme? As soon as she starts getting into trouble there's the coolest tune... totally matches.

And the interactive area on Nick is faboo. Magnificent.

:)

Mharvey
05-04-2012, 02:27 AM

Tales from Ba-Sing-Se was great.

My favorite probably has to be whatever the episode Book 3, Chapter 14 was for this exchange alone. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vr9xPqGD8o)

KateSmash
05-06-2012, 05:55 PM
All I have to say about the latest episode: Poor Bolin. :(

I'm really enjoying his character the most. Bryke making the buff, tough, earthbending little brother all squishy and sensitive fills me with so much joy.

Zoombie
05-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm going to call it.

Korra ends up with Bolin. He's actually really great boyfriend material: He's funny and charming and buff...but still slightly squishy, ya know?

Frankly, I'm a bit sick of the brooding guys getting the girls all the time.

KateSmash
05-07-2012, 04:03 PM
You know, I've been calling KorraxMako endgame since before the show started, but I after the last episode I really hope you're right, Zoombie.

Just once I'd like to see the heroine have a healthy relationship with a non-douche.

thebloodfiend
05-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Either way, I don't care. Neither horrifies me, or prompts me to write drabble fanfics.

MsJudy
05-08-2012, 03:29 AM
Yeah, BoLin is definitely my fave. Or maybe I just like his little red panda/fire ferret thingy...

It is kind of odd, though. I mean, technically, this is a kids' show, right? It's a cartoon, playing on Saturday mornings on Nick...

That was an awful lot of kissing and dating, if you ask me. My 13yo was groaning and rolling his eyes through the whole episode.

thebloodfiend
05-08-2012, 03:39 AM
When I was 13, that was one of the primary reasons I watched the show. That, and well, the M/T-rated fanfics on FF.net. I used to have a dirty mind.

KateSmash
05-08-2012, 05:04 AM
It is kind of odd, though. I mean, technically, this is a kids' show, right? It's a cartoon, playing on Saturday mornings on Nick...

Compared to the shows Nick had for Saturday mornings when I was a kid (Ren & Stimpy in particular), LoK is pretty tame. Plus I'm thinking it's targeted more toward the 10-14 set than the little kids. Make me 15 years younger, I'd probably love the show even more. (*cough*Especially the kissing and dating and looooove*cough*)

Zoombie
05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm just impressed. Korra took three episodes to make a move on Mako.

HEY AANG.

YEAH, AANG.

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU?

OH YEAH.

THREE GODDAMN SEASONS.

heza
05-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Aang did, however, almost immediately fall for Katara. Is that an Avatar thing, you think? Maybe something about being reincarnated over and over and being in love so many times that makes Avatars so preoccupied with it?

All I have to say about the latest episode: Poor Bolin. :(

Second. And it was hard because you saw that one coming.

I have to say though: Most comfortable date EVER.

thebloodfiend
05-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Watched the last ep this morning. Seems like every single episode is written by Bryke. They've stepped up their game. Kind of miss Aaron Ehasz and his wife, though.

I wonder why they're being so quick with the romance this time around. I say they handle it in a more harem anime way. Korra's a lot less annoying than Aang for me, more like Katara and Toph combined.

And I'm kind of interested in when they're going to break out Korra's avatar state.

Camilla Delvalle
05-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Was it me, or did the writers make a horrible mistake to NOT take Korra's powers away?

It would have reset the avatar training, forced her to find new ways and even have her learn non-bending ways of fighting.
Yeah, I thought that too. Though it would be too early. We are still in the "fun and games" part of the series, with the tournament and stuff. The impact of her losing her powers will be greater after we have got to know her more, and become accustomed to her using them to fix all problems. There will surely be more depressive parts later. I'm sure Kora will lose her ability for a while, sooner or later. I would bet on it.

KateSmash
05-08-2012, 09:44 PM
I wonder why they're being so quick with the romance this time around. I say they handle it in a more harem anime way.

If I had to guess, it's mostly because they were already deep into production when they got the green light for Book Two. So Book One was created to be a standalone arc of 13 episodes.

Although, if this is all that's happened in five episodes, I can't wait to see what goes down in the next eight.

Zoombie
05-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Well, also, it seems like they're writing these people like real people, not romantic comedy cliches. Maybe this is just me, but...I've never had an experience where I didn't know that someone liked me, because people TEND to be fairly obvious when they like someone else, ya know? So, everyone seems to be at the very least AWARE of their feelings.

They may not ACT on those feelings in a mature way, but at least they try.

It's a really refreshing change of pace from endless second guessing, "Does he really like me!? I don't know, let me set up deliberate misunderstandings to create hijinx for the next twenty episodes!" sort of stuff.

Maybe that's just me.

MsJudy
05-09-2012, 03:20 AM
Nope, not just you.

thebloodfiend
05-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Not just you at all. That shit annoys the fuck out of me. Probably why I don't care for the majority of romcoms.

Zoombie
05-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Which is why Korra is awesome! :D

KateSmash
05-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Bryke needs to do a spin-off buddy cop comedy with Korra and Beifong. Like right now.

Zoombie
05-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Bei Fong is SO badass she made my head explode.

Zoombie
06-02-2012, 09:56 AM
So, the show is STILL amazing.

But I thought you guys might find this as amusing as I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov_2KBMjBL8&feature=related

Smiley0501
06-04-2012, 10:58 PM
For the first time, the other day I watched an episode. And I am in love!! :D

Ginger Writer
06-04-2012, 11:04 PM
This show makes me so happy. I'm always amazed with how much they fit into each episode--never a dull moment--and it's killing me to have to wait at least a week between them. Plus, whether you love them or hate them, a lot of the characters are very well realized.

Zoombie
06-06-2012, 06:33 AM
The last cliffhanger was SO FUCKING INTENSE.

SATURDAY!

WHY YOU SO FAR AWAY!?

kaitie
06-06-2012, 07:43 AM
I haven't watched the last episode yet so I'm doing a nice "lalala not listening" thing, but I just wanted to say I FREAKING LOVE THIS SHOW.

I honestly think I'm enjoying it better than the first series, which blows my mind. And I've already picked nerdy Halloween costumes for me and the SO. Can we say Amon and a chi-blocker, anyone? We're gonna have fun walking down the street and scaring little children.*

*I feel the need to clarify that I'm actually a very nice person who loves little children.

Zoombie
06-06-2012, 08:22 AM
No, I mean...I'm watching the old series again and...well, it's still amazing, but in terms of storytelling complexity, characters and art, Korra is slightly better than the second season of Avatar.

It REALLY helps that the whole show so far has been written by the creators, so it's REALLY tight and well done.

KateSmash
06-06-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm wondering how they're going to wrap things up in four more episodes. I seem to remember them saying somewhere that these first 13 episodes were supposed to be it for the series before Nick renewed them for another one.

Ah, I'm so in love with (among everything else) the pacing. It's like watching a superbly written YA novel.

Saturdays need to get here sooner. :e2bouncey

Gilroy Cullen
06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Very Wow so far...

Anyone trying to guess who Amon is yet?
I'm stuck between two characters: one a bender, one a nonbender. Both seem plausible.

(If I missed the big reveal, don't tell me! I'm awaiting a marathon to watch them all in one sitting. Talk about a good day!)

Amazing characters, great musical themes, and WHOA storylines. (Someone tell me why I just channeled Joey from Blossom... *shrug*)

Favorite episode from Original series:
"Cave of the Two Lovers"

Especially for one line:
"Sokka, why's your forehead so red?"

Katrina S. Forest
06-06-2012, 04:23 PM
The pacing is amazing. There's very little I would trim. (The old series, while fun, would've made total sense with more than a few episodes missing.)

I'm still holding out hope that Zuko will eventually appear on Korra. According to the rules of Avatar, all old guys are inherently awesome. Zuko was cool before, but now that he's in his 80's, he should be the best character in the series. (Honestly, I think I just miss Iroh and I'm hoping Zuko picked up some of his uncle's quirks in his old age.)

It's also driving me crazy that Korra can't talk to Aang. I know why she can't and it wouldn't be any fun if she could do everything all at once, but the random flashbacks are like the creators teasing the audience: "Ha-ha, we know something you don't know!"

Zoombie
06-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I just love the fact that they've made Korra and Aang really distinctive, both with unique challenges. Aang had a...huge, but relatively straightforward issue: The Fire Nation is conquering the world. Go fix that. But he was supposed to be a pacifist monk (albeit one who hadn't really mastered the whole "being wise" part due to the fact that he was...ya know...twelve, something I've only recently noticed: A lot of his supposedly "wise" sayings, especially early on, really seem to just be self serving excuses to do what he wants. Which makes SENSE for a freakin twelve year old!)

But, while Aang had the whole meditation and spirituality thing down pat, Korra is this awesomely physical girl...and so what do they do?

They give her a horrendously complex social problem that CAN'T be solved through sheer force!

I LOVE IT!

heza
06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Have they aired a new episode since Aftermath? I've been watching it online, and I haven't checked in a couple of days, but last I checked, I couldn't find a new episode or a preview for a new episode. (It was the lack of preview that made me wonder if there were a hiatus. I don't know how Nick schedules their stuff.)

Kyra Wright
06-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I loved Avatar, but I'm enjoying Korra even more.

Many years ago, when I first started reading a certain manga series, I thought there were hints of a future war between the "normal" characters and those who had special abilities. That didn't happen in that series. When Korra was announced, and the plot was revealed, I was really excited to finally get that storyline I wanted years ago (albeit in a different series). Thus far, I haven't been disappointed.

Cai
06-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Have they aired a new episode since Aftermath? I've been watching it online, and I haven't checked in a couple of days, but last I checked, I couldn't find a new episode or a preview for a new episode. (It was the lack of preview that made me wonder if there were a hiatus. I don't know how Nick schedules their stuff.)

Yes, episode 8 (http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-108-when-extremes-meet-full-episode.html).

Ahhh, I still love Korra! Just great.

heza
06-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Ah, yay! Thanks.

kaitie
06-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Zoombie, spot on! I've been highly, highly impressed, and I love the complexity going on here.

And I'm someone else holding out hope for Zuko. He was my favorite character in the last one, and we haven't heard word one of him yet. Which you think we would have considering last he heard, wasn't he Fire Lord?

Okay, I might have missed this in the first few pages if it's been discussed, but does anyone else think Mako's resemblance to Zuko can't be just coincidence? I swear they're related somehow, but I'm not quite sure how. Have to be, though.

Also, I'm intrigued by the fact that the brothers bend different elements. The easy explanation is that their mom was an earth bender and their father a fire bender, or something of that sort, right? Though I'm honestly wondering if they're really blood brothers or if we're going to find out (perhaps as a result of the potentially related to Zuko thing) that Mako is adopted. Or they could be related through Zuko's mother somehow.

I'm just rambling now. I love this show! I need more than twelve episodes. :tongue

Kyra Wright
06-08-2012, 08:51 AM
A few observations, not necessarily related to each other, but simply things I've been thinking about:

All of the members of the United Republic Council are benders. There are no members to specifically represent non-benders. During the first few episodes, I wondered if that was going to be brought up in the show itself. Now, with Tarrlok's actions, I'm still wondering, and hoping that it might come up at some point.

Despite the way the world's changed since Avatar, firebenders still seem to be bit problematic for everyone else. Mako and Bolins' parents were killed by one, Asami's mother was killed by one, Amon's family was killed by one (if his story is true), and the leader of the Triple Threat Triads was a firebender. The more things change, the more they stay the same?

I'm glad to see that the Equalists can match benders in combat (most of the time), are a genuine threat, and have a genuine cause.

Lastly, I love Bolin.

KateSmash
06-08-2012, 04:59 PM
According to IMDB and Bryke, Dante Basco does provide some voice work for this Book. Whether or not it will be as Zuko though, they're being rather cagey about.

I really hope it's Zuko. And I really hope he's turned out like Iroh.

As far as Mako resembling Zuko, I'm just going to chalk that up to art style (that's just how they draw good looking firebenders) than actual relation. UNLESS Azula grew up and married an Earth Bender (OMG Haru and his epic mustache!). That would be better than Mako being some long lost prince.

Ok, Azula + Haru = Mako & Bolin is my new head canon. Nothing Bryke does in the show will convince me otherwise.

kaitie
06-08-2012, 05:38 PM
I've wondered at Azula, too. Entirely possible. I actually think it would be cool if they were related through his mom, but that's just me. :tongue It could just be art style, but it's similar enough that it seems to me that it would almost have to be deliberate. Especially when he looks so different from his brother. I'm not thinking long lost prince necessarily, just that there is a connection there.

MsJudy
06-09-2012, 12:47 AM
a sign of good writing, that we're trying to figure out these relationships...as if the characters are real...

Count me in with all of the above: How do two brothers bend different elements? What happened with Zuko and Azula? And what about the huge cliff-hanger that ended the first series, when Zuko was going to go off and find his mother?

Zoombie
06-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Well, we do see Zuko's statue in the city (Bolin does his ferret performance thing to try and raise money).

I think it has something to do with how fire requires total control or it becomes destructive...that could be why so many of them can easily turn to crime. Plus, there are ways to easily restrain earth and water benders: Their elements are localized. but the Firebenders produce their fire from chi...how do you stop that, save with chi-blockers or something like The Cooler.

kaitie
06-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Was that a Zuko statue? Really? I'm gonna have to go back and watch again. :D

If it is a Zuko statue, that makes this even more intriguing. I was telling a friend the other day that if Zuko was Fire Lord and now there is no Fire Lord, there must have been some kind of uprising or revolution (even if it was a peaceful one) that would have been a major event in history, completely game-changing. It struck me as odd that an event that big and someone guaranteed to be a major player in it hadn't really been mentioned.

My friend said that Republic City was built out of Fire Nation colonies and that outside of the city, for all we know the world is pretty much as it was before. It's an interesting thought, and I just blew off my initial pondering. Now I'm wondering again. :tongue

ETA: I probably put way too much thought into this show, but I'm loving having something that encourages it, too. I haven't seen a show I've enjoyed speculating over this much since Lost.

Sheryl Nantus
06-09-2012, 01:45 AM
If you go here (http://www.nick.com/games/legend-of-korra-welcome-to-republic-city.html) you'll find a TON of information about Republic City and the world as it's changed from the original series.

Be warned - the game is addictive. But you'll unlock info - such as Zuko putting his daughter on the throne, etc.

Good luck!

thebloodfiend
06-10-2012, 10:03 PM
I kind of wish Bryke were more adventurous with the romantic aspect of things. I don't mean going soap opera crazy, but that whole soul mates thing is kind of annoying. It's like everyone dates one person (or they die, and they find a new soul mate) and they stay together forever and never have illegitimate kids. Ever. I understand that it's a Nick show, but as they're dealing with royalty and councilmen, scandals are interesting, and likely to happen.

If Sokka married Suki and Zuko married Mai and none of them ever had a single affair or child with someone who wasn't their SO, I'd feel like they were just going the safe Harry Potter route. Still, maybe something interesting happened with Azula, or her and Zuko's mom.

kaitie
06-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Hey, I'm still annoyed they paired Katara up with Aang at the end of the last one (grumble grumble). Didn't they see the rich symbolism in putting her with Zuko!? And besides, Zuko was awesome!

Okay. Maybe I'm a teensy bit biased. But STILL. There were a couple of elements about the end of the last one that really irked me, and that was one of them.

thebloodfiend
06-10-2012, 11:43 PM
You're telling me. I was pretty much anyone but Aang and Mai by the time the finale came around. I think it would've been a stronger show of symbolism if he ended up with someone from the firenation, too (Mai, Tai Lee, etc). I hated that finale. *grumbles*

But I am excited to see the finale for Korra. I played Republic City a few hours ago, watched the last ep, and now I'm wondering what they're going to do with Zuko's descendant. And how they're going to make a second season when it looks like they're going to hook Korra and Mako up. I'm unsure about how I feel on their ship, though. I guess I wish they'd introduced him as less of a douche. I don't really care about Asami's feelings, as I feel that she's dreadfully underdeveloped, but Bolin is just so cute and naive and honest -- everything Aang wasn't by the end of season three -- that I kind of hope a) Mako dies and Bolin "gets" (I hate this phrase) the girl, or b) they introduce a more developed female than Asami in season 2 for him.

Zoombie
06-11-2012, 03:04 AM
I freaking love the fact that...SPOILERS

Amon is not Tarrlok. It makes things so much more delightfully complex.

kaitie
06-12-2012, 02:36 AM
That episode was soooooo good. So much speculating now.

pandaponies
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I just started watching today. ...And found all of the episodes online and watched them in one go. I am usually a "MUHHH SEQUEL, HATE, DO NOT WANT" whiner but I gave in to the curiosity.

Can I just say that

--lesbian wish ship whine warning--

Korra and Asamiiiii omggggg, can we please have that happen? PLEASE?! They'd be adorable. Korra totally has bi vibes and Asami could be all "lipstick" and whatnot.

*sulk* want moar gay in my TV >:]

but damn it, now I'm hooked. :( I did NOT need another TV show to obsessively wait for new episodes of! :P

Hamilton
06-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I understand the reluctance to break up the couples that existed at the end of a series. Even though it's not strictly realistic, when you go through a romantic subplot it's no fun to learn that 2 years after the end of the story the characters broke up.

I'm a bit frustrated with Legend of Korra in some respects. The whole Mako/Korra thing going on in this episode came out of nowhere. When Mako just grabbed Korra at the end I just felt offended on the other characters' behalf. Are we really supposed to believe that Mako cares more about Korra than Bolin or Tenzin? That he gets the extra special right to carry her off and demand that everyone else give her space?

Bolin and Korra had more chemistry and relationship development in episode 5 alone than Mako and Korra have had throughout this entire series.

Moar character development plz.

I am clinging to the hope that Asami is an Equalist spy.

Kyra Wright
06-13-2012, 04:08 PM
I really hope that Asami doesn't turn into some sort of jealous harpy now that she knows about Mako and Korra. That would be a bit too convenient for pushing Mako and Korra together. If we're going to have a love triangle, I'd rather it be at least a little complicated, with no particular side falling out easily.

Or the writers could just have Korra and Bolin get together, which was my first choice.

Gilroy Cullen
06-13-2012, 04:28 PM
*whines about Relay for Life and missing the last two episodes*

Honestly, we've seen hints at the Mako/Korra hook up for a while. Bolin hits on Korra all the time, but she eyes Mako. Her face showed how heartbroken she was when she found out Mako hooked up with Asami. Korra doesn't know what she wants, I think.

So I would be fine with her walking away from Mako and finding someone OUTSIDE the group to play with for a while. Make Mako jealous, maybe...

heza
06-13-2012, 06:41 PM
The whole Mako/Korra thing going on in this episode came out of nowhere. When Mako just grabbed Korra at the end I just felt offended on the other characters' behalf. Are we really supposed to believe that Mako cares more about Korra than Bolin or Tenzin? That he gets the extra special right to carry her off and demand that everyone else give her space?

Bolin and Korra had more chemistry and relationship development in episode 5 alone than Mako and Korra have had throughout this entire series.

I won't say it was random because I've also seen hints of... Makorra? Korako? Anyway... throughout the series. But I think it's a shame. I do definitely agree that she's actually spent more onscreen time getting to know Bolin than she has Mako, so it feels like their OMG connection isn't really all that justified. Then again, I recall being a teenager and I did fall madly in love with near strangers for no damn good reason.

(Also, then again, there's no telling what happened between them off screen during all their training sessions.)

And I think Korra and Bolin are more compatible than Korra and Mako. That seems like a whirlwind of a romance that would fizzle pretty quickly.

I do feel bad for Asmi. She's sweet, she's alone now that she's turned on her father, and she's been really helpful to Korra's endeavors. I'd like to at least seem some guilt on Korra's behalf for stealing her boyfriend.

pandaponies
06-13-2012, 07:53 PM
I think Makorra has definitely been hinted at, but I feel bad for Bolin. I feel like she and Bolin are a much better match, but I bet she and Mako will be endgame because he's The Dark and Brooding Handsome One. Sigh.

I love Asami and agree that I hope she doesn't turn into a jealous harpy plot device. I will be mad.

Because deep down I still want Korrasami to happen. >:]

Katrina S. Forest
06-13-2012, 08:27 PM
I dunno, I kinda wish they'd drop the whole romance angle. I feel like it's the weakest part of the series. I know this series is shorter, but they're leaving almost no time for feelings to develop between the characters.

The reason I thought Zuko and Katara would've worked so nicely is that there was a ton and back and forth between them and a lot of broken trust that had to be put back together again. It would've put some meaning to their relationship besides, "Hey, you're cute," and "Hey, thanks, I like you back."

The writers are trying to jazz things up by having both brothers like Korra, but that's complicating the sibling relationship, not the romantic one. It feels shallow.

(By the way, all of this is a pretty minor complaint on the scale of awesomeness that is this series.)

Sheryl Nantus
06-13-2012, 08:32 PM
I think Makorra has definitely been hinted at, but I feel bad for Bolin. I feel like she and Bolin are a much better match, but I bet she and Mako will be endgame because he's The Dark and Brooding Handsome One. Sigh.

I love Asami and agree that I hope she doesn't turn into a jealous harpy plot device. I will be mad.

Because deep down I still want Korrasami to happen. >:]

Trust me - there will be fanfic.

Heck, there might be already... go look!

;)

Sirion
06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
A really fantastic show.

But pfft... shipping... who does that?

(*cough* Korralin)

pandaponies
06-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Trust me - there will be fanfic.

Heck, there might be already... go look!

;)
*giggle* Oh, there definitely already is! I googled it last night and there is already fanfic and fanart

AND Rule 34. *dies*

kaitie
06-13-2012, 08:42 PM
I've been pretty okay with how the romance angles have played out so far. Usually that sort of thing annoys me, but this time I'm okay with it. I didn't think Mako/Korra came out of nowhere as they'd directly discussed it before and even shown that he had feelings for her but felt like he was better off with Asami.

Anyway, I prefer Mako anyway, as much as I love Bolin, so I'm all for the two of them being set up if it's done well. And so far I've been pretty impressed with how they've handled it. Usually that sort of thing is an instant dislike for me, so the fact that I've been enjoying it says a lot for my opinion.

heza
06-13-2012, 08:59 PM
I won't go so far as to say that I hate Makorra. It's fine. I'm surprised that I lean toward Korralin, though, seeing as I'm a dire-hard Zutaran. I'm finally getting some of the compatibility argument that Kataangers make for Katara and Aang. I do agree with Katrina, though, that Katara and Zuko had a much more complicated history than Korra and Mako, and it made for richer speculating than I'm finding in the current romance subplot.

But it's really all good. I second that whatever issues I have with the romance angle aren't detracting from my enjoyment of the show as a whole.

KateSmash
06-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Whatever Bryke's going to do about the romance (although I always knew Makorra was endgame, though I'm a home wrecker and ship Tenzlin *cough*Gimme THAT flashback, please*cough*) they need to wrap it up fast. We've only got three hours left. Really hope it happens this week since I get the feeling the finale in two is going to be a bit busy. And really, I hate waiting for subplots to resolve after the main plot.

Sheryl Nantus
06-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Whatever Bryke's going to do about the romance (although I always knew Makorra was endgame, though I'm a home wrecker and ship Tenzlin *cough*Gimme THAT flashback, please*cough*).

I would *love* seeing how Tenzin's wife, who is *not* a bender, got Tenzin away from Lin.

Toph's daughter. Total bad-ass.

How did she do it?

And live?

:D

Sheryl Nantus
06-13-2012, 09:27 PM
AND Rule 34. *dies*

I gotta ask... whatiz?

pandaponies
06-13-2012, 09:36 PM
though I'm a home wrecker and ship Tenzlin *cough*Gimme THAT flashback, please*cough*
HAH! *high five* :D

I gotta ask... whatiz?

It's a rule of the interwebs: "If it exists, there is porn of it."

You brought this knowledge on yourself. Hehehe.

KateSmash
06-16-2012, 09:09 PM
I want a spinoff for just the Cloudbabies and I want it now. Or a spinoff that is all Lin and all Meelo all the time.

*struggles very hard not to spoil*

Zoombie
06-16-2012, 09:21 PM
HOLY SHIT THAT LAST EPISODE WAS AMAZING!

But, to be honest...Mako is a terrible boyfriend. Like, seriously, he's just awful at it. If this is how he handles it with his amazingly hot, totally badass, intelligent and hot-rod owning girlfriend who is also astoundingly rich...um...I'd hate to see how horribly he bungles being the avatar's girlfriend.

Sheryl Nantus
06-16-2012, 09:36 PM
I want a spinoff for just the Cloudbabies and I want it now. Or a spinoff that is all Lin and all Meelo all the time.

*struggles very hard not to spoil*

Totally.

However, I am SO feeling for da poor momma. Can you imagine THAT going on all around you?

XD

Pinguicha
06-16-2012, 11:02 PM

YES IT WAS!

And I have to agree, Mako is a terrible boyfriend to Asami (who, despite being introduced as a clear device for a love triangle, became awesome in her own right). But I actually ship Makorra, so, I'm just waiting for him to finally get the balls to break up with Asami and finally let me have a ship that actually happens.

Asami can go to General Iroh afterwards. Now that would be something to see.

Zoombie
06-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm still shipping Korra and Asame.

pandaponies
06-17-2012, 12:09 AM
ZOOMBIE. I THINK I LOVE YOU. *epic high five of epic*

Korra x Asami = THE SHIP OF SHIPS

Also,

But, to be honest...Mako is a terrible boyfriend. Like, seriously, he's just awful at it. If this is how he handles it with his amazingly hot, totally badass, intelligent and hot-rod owning girlfriend who is also astoundingly rich...um...I'd hate to see how horribly he bungles being the avatar's girlfriend.
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS. All of this!

Pretty sure I was sitting there gaping at the screen through the ENTIRE last half of the episode. O.M.G. I have predictions for the next one but don't want to say because spoilers :P

KateSmash
06-17-2012, 12:10 AM
However, I am SO feeling for da poor momma. Can you imagine THAT going on all around you?

XD

I have a hard enough time imagining childbirth period. Pema just began the second baddest lady in Republic. Because, at this point, no one's taking the title away from Lin BAMF. Spoiler: Bending? She don't need no stinking bending!

Word on Mako. I'm getting kinda meh on the brothers. Mako's become the worst boyfriend ever and Bolin's just sort of been shoved to the side unless the writers need a one liner. And they showed so much promise in the early episodes. Bryke, take notes for Book 2.

pandaponies
06-17-2012, 12:19 AM
at this point, no one's taking the title away from Lin BAMF.
Amen. Badass level = it's over 9000. For real.

Kyra Wright
06-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Because, at this point, no one's taking the title away from Lin.
Meelo's "That lady is my hero" line made me squee.

Sheryl Nantus
06-17-2012, 12:40 AM

I'd expect no less from Toph's daughter.

What I *would*love to know is how Pema got Tenzin away from Lin. That may be a whole new level of badass hidden away in a non-bender package.

And Lin is MY hero now. Almost takes "Airship slice!" out of the running for best action scene evah!

Zoombie
06-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Frankly, I'd love it if Asame dumps Mako, and if he goes to Korra, she doesn't accept him because...frankly, he's been acting like a dick.

thebloodfiend
06-17-2012, 03:42 AM
Ya know, I'd care more about the love triangle if Asami wasn't so flat. God, it's just so hard for me to care about her -- even if her character design is hot. I'm glad they didn't pull a heel face turn with her when we found out her dad was "evil" but geez... the other girl doesn't need to be a two-dimensional cardboard cut out of a watered down Yue, either.

And I'm not liking Mako's sudden interest in Korra. I wish he was more like Zuko, tbh. I'm just not feeling Makorra like I thought I would.

But, besides the shipping angle, I have no big gripes. Can't say I'm impressed with Amon as a villain (he's a bit more dimensional than Zhao, and that's not saying much), or that I really like Pema and Tenzin, but Lin and Korra are badass. I want a show just about them.

ETA: And I guess Aang and Katara's other kids are waterbenders? Cause they have three, but Lin says Tenzin and family are the only airbenders in the world. I've got a crazy theory that Pema didn't really "steal" Tenzin away so much as other things prevented Lin and Tenzin from being together, but this being a kid's show, I doubt Bryke'll go that way. *sigh* Why do children have to be shielded from complex relationships that exist in real life?

ETA 2: I'm also wondering what's the deal with General Iroh. If he's Zuko's kid, he's really, really young compared to Lin and Tenzin. Especially since Zuko left the throne to his daughter. But he's not old enough to be a grandkid. Azula's kid? That'd be interesting. I can't wait for the new ep. It's the one I've been wanting to see all season.

BunnyMaz
06-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Ehhh, my only issues with the series are that it feels like they didn't quite know what each character was going to be for. Bo Lin seemed like he was going to be Sokka-MkII, but instead the er... little fart-joke kid... has become the main comedy relief, and rather than developing Bo Lin into a more serious character like Sokka did later on, they've just ignored him. Asami is a great character in her own right; she's resourceful, capable, willing to get involved and strong-willed. She'd be at her best right now if they explored her character arc in dealing with losing her father rather than just dragging her out of the woodwork a few times an episode to scowl at Korra and Mako. She's lost everything and I feel like they've wasted character development there - if they don't explore that soon, it'll be too late to do it convincingly.

I am starting to feel like we need more exploration of the Equalist's motivations. Their resources and sheer group numbers are staggering if they've managed to coordinate an attack on this scale. There must be some serious, significant ill will and resentment boiling under the surface for that many non-benders to have signed up and I'd like to see more done to explore that.

*edit*
Ooh! A Lin and Tenzin prequel show would be great, eh? Just the two of them being Ultimate Dudes together.

Zoombie
06-17-2012, 04:00 AM
I do think that part of the problem was this was designed as a mini-series, when really, it should be an equally as epic series as the first one.

So, basically, what I'm saying is...more episodes. Please.

thebloodfiend
06-17-2012, 04:06 AM
I do think that part of the problem was this was designed as a mini-series, when really, it should be an equally as epic series as the first one.

So, basically, what I'm saying is...more episodes. Please.

It should be more epic. As in, the epic tv show of epicness that makes everything else seem like The Wiggles in comparison.

And, to further my thoughts on Asami, I hope they've learned from season three that stretching out angst annoys their audience. Bringing up Katara's mother wangst at the last moment for her to "bond" with Zuko (god, that was pretty awesome, tho) and having Aang moralize wholesomeness and thou shalt not kill almost put me off the show. And the finale didn't help it. Hopefully, in S2 she gets an arc. That character design should not be wasted.

pandaponies
06-17-2012, 04:11 AM
I agree with BunnyMaz's thoughts on Asami right now. They better not screw her up >__< (becauseIloveheromg).

Re: Iroh - He could definitely be a grandkid, I'm pretty sure that's who he is. He seems young, with his voice actor and all, anyway. The events of Korra are set 70 years after the end of Avatar. That's more than enough time IMO; I was actually wondering at the airbending kids NOT being older. I think Aang and Tenzin both just reproduced late-ish or something. :P

BunnyMaz
06-17-2012, 04:28 AM
Isn't it the same voice actor as the young Zuko? It felt like they were trying to hint heavily with the voice, and being named after Uncle Iroh and all.

Man, the first Avatar series was good. So good that that brief bit at the end of the last episode was enough of a reminder that I've started rewatching the old show again.

Pinguicha
06-17-2012, 04:56 AM
Isn't it the same voice actor as the young Zuko? It felt like they were trying to hint heavily with the voice, and being named after Uncle Iroh and all.

Yeah, it's Dante Basco. I'm with the minority, apparently, when I say they shouldn't have brought him back as that specific character. The voice doesn't match the face at all.

Smiley0501
06-17-2012, 05:18 AM
I can't wait until the season finale. I just want to rewatch all the episodes in one go so I can see the full 'arc' as opposed to episodes every week. Not that I don't love waiting for it every week...

Kyra Wright
06-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Having re-watched some of the earlier episodes, I agree with whoever said earlier that Korra's bending should have been taken away. Or rather, I hope it will be in the season finale. If bending can be taken away, maybe it can be restored as well, and it would be some interesting character development to see Korra really have to dive into the spiritual side of her training and learn how to get along without bending.

Maramoser
06-18-2012, 01:42 AM
I agree with a lot of the sentiments above. Individual episodes and action scenes are epic and Lin and the airbending kids are flawless, but WOW do we have some problems with our main characters. I think it is due to the mini-series structure. If that's so, why did they even introduce Asami so early? She had some great moments in the last episode, but at the same time, her storyline has been very shallow because there simply hasn't been time. Mako and Korra and Bolin were barely friends when she showed up! Everything just needs more time to feel deeper to me. And poor Bo. He used to have screentime back in the days of Episode 2 and 3. Now I'm started to wonder why he's even here! We should have seen more of the brothers individually before we got into all this relationship drama.

And wow is this show trying to sell me Makorra, but I am so not buying. I'm not even into shipping usually, but I just can't with this. Imma have to request passage aboard the KorraxAsami. Is there room? :D

pandaponies
06-18-2012, 06:29 AM
And wow is this show trying to sell me Makorra, but I am so not buying. I'm not even into shipping usually, but I just can't with this. Imma have to request passage aboard the KorraxAsami. Is there room? :D
There is ALWAYS room. <3 Welcome aboard! :D

edit - THIS IS RELEVANT TO MY INTERESTS:
http://www.picwizz.com/u/15893-5960.gif

At this point I would rather have Korra with almost anyone as long as it's not Mako. I'm probably just being difficult because I can tell it's what the producers want me to want and I love shutting shit down and crushing people's hopes and dreams, but seriously... I just can't... he gets on my nerves SO. MUCH. And poor Bolin, getting overshadowed. I love him. He's the deserving one. <3

Gilroy Cullen
06-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Meelo had me cracking up when he took out that one chi-blocker. I swear (Spoiler just in case) it looked like he farted in the man's face.And the line with it was fitting.

Awesome episode.
Can't believe they are only doing a total of 26 episodes of this show! *Faints*

KateSmash
06-18-2012, 06:42 PM
It didn't just look like Meelo did that - he actually did! Gives a whole new (and kind of icky) dimension when he tells the chi-blocker to "taste his fury".

Gilroy Cullen
06-18-2012, 07:27 PM
So would that still be technically air bending? Or would he have to know a little earth bending in there too?
:ROFL:

Maramoser
06-18-2012, 08:20 PM
@pandaponies: Hooray! *throws things into suitcase and runs gleefully up dock onto ship* Love the gif haha. And I couldn't agree more with your sentiments re: Mako and Bolin. Here's hoping things will get better?

Also, I am reminded of a Tumblr post I saw....

Fire: lightning-bending
Earth: metalbending
Water: bloodbending
Air: ...fart-bending

kaitie
06-21-2012, 02:53 AM
Having re-watched some of the earlier episodes, I agree with whoever said earlier that Korra's bending should have been taken away. Or rather, I hope it will be in the season finale. If bending can be taken away, maybe it can be restored as well, and it would be some interesting character development to see Korra really have to dive into the spiritual side of her training and learn how to get along without bending.

This would be awesome.

heza
06-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Was this past episode the first lightning redirection we've seen, or had Mako done that before?

I squeed just getting to hear Dante Basco again, regardless of whether the voice fit the face. I see Iroh being either Asami's consolation prize or a second weird angle of the love triangle, where Mako's being pulled between Asami and Korra, and Korra is being pulled between Mako and ZukoIroh. And until they say otherwise, I'm going to choose to believe that Iroh is Katara's third child (a change-of-life baby!) :wag:

And poor Bo. He used to have screentime back in the days of Episode 2 and 3. Now I'm started to wonder why he's even here!

I think this is my one and only real disappointment with the show. I really like the show, but I don't LOVE it the way I did A:TLA. In A:TLA, everyone in the Gaang was important and got screen time. If the plot pacing didn't allow in one episode, they were given more time in another. There was never a time when I felt Sokka, Toph, or Katara was an accessory character. They all had background stories and development. Aang was still the MC, but the others were vital to the group. You could pretty much lose Bolin, Mako, or Asami, and keep carrying on. Especially Bolin, now, which is such a shame. He was my favorite.

And yes, it was the original format that necessitated the shrink on development, but I really hope this gets reassessed now that the show is bigger than they first invisioned.

Zoombie
06-21-2012, 09:09 PM
And yes, it was the original format that necessitated the shrink on development, but I really hope this gets reassessed now that the show is bigger than they first invisioned.

Yeah, frankly, if there is a show that DESERVES to be embiggened, this is the cromulant one!

The only real problems I have with Korra is, doubtlessly, due to the required focusing and trimming of plotlines by the shorter season length.

Hell, even with those issues, it's still incredibly baller.

Cai
06-21-2012, 09:37 PM
ETA: And I guess Aang and Katara's other kids are waterbenders? Cause they have three, but Lin says Tenzin and family are the only airbenders in the world.
An official family tree confirmed that Kya is a waterbender and Bumi is a non-bender (link (http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/27/71/69/tumblr10.jpg)).

Possible spoiler: Iroh is Zuko’s grandson, not his son (link) (http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/06/19/the-legend-of-korra-creators-preview-the-finale/).

I really, really hope the last two episodes will answer some more questions. I want to know more about Amon's back story ... and Lin's daddy! :poke:

Zoombie
06-21-2012, 09:46 PM
I hope that the last two episodes answer some questions, but leave lots open so that another 3 seasons can be demanded >.>

heza
06-21-2012, 10:27 PM
An official family tree confirmed that Kya is a waterbender and Bumi is a non-bender (link (http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/27/71/69/tumblr10.jpg)).

I'm going to completely fail to acknowledge that as proof and cling to my delusions just a tad bit longer.... :D

I really, really hope the last two episodes will answer some more questions. I want to know more about Amon's back story ... and Lin's daddy! :poke:

I was totally wondering while watching this ep, by way of witnessing yet more of Lin's (obviously inherited badassery), who ended up with cajones big enough to marry Toph. Totally want to know that.

Hope it wasn't Haru.

KateSmash
06-21-2012, 10:32 PM
heza, we see Mako bend lightning in episode 3 or 4. Whichever episode it is where the Equalists kidnap the bending mobsters and have Bolin too. He has a day job with other lightning benders at a power plant.

And I'm convinced Lin doesn't have a Daddy. Toph just decided to have a daughter one day and pulled some bad ass parthenogenesis. :) What? I never never said my headcanons made sense.

heza
06-21-2012, 10:52 PM
heza, we see Mako bend lightning in episode 3 or 4. Whichever episode it is where the Equalists kidnap the bending mobsters and have Bolin too. He has a day job with other lightning benders at a power plant.

Oh yeah... I'm going to have to rewatch that. Were they redirecting? Or just producing? I'm surprised I didn't remember that because I think that was one of the first things that made me think along the same lines that seeing him do it in this last episode did... mainly that bending has come a long way... redirecting lightning and bending metal used to be big, difficult, master-level stuff, and now Joe Bender can do it. And Amon can bend bending, even though that used to be Avatar-only power. It makes me wonder what's coming next? Like I've been waiting and waiting for Korra to glow it up, but now I'm wondering if that's even big enough for this world...

And I'm convinced Lin doesn't have a Daddy. Toph just decided to have a daughter one day and pulled some bad ass parthenogenesis. :) What? I never never said my headcanons made sense.

Toph (chewing toenails): I think I'll learn to see with my feet.
Toph (picking nose): I think I'll bend metal.
Toph (scratching ass): I think I'll reproduce asexually.

thebloodfiend
06-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Toph (chewing toenails): I think I'll learn to see with my feet.

Dude, you best be glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.

My suspicions on Toph's baby daddy. 1) Sokka or Aang, which is why Lin couldn't be with Tenzin. Any other guy, well, I don't believe it. I mean, Lin reminds me of the cop in Les Mis, and he was illegitimate. I'm probably wrong, and it's probably Haru or wheelchair inventor kid or (barf) the Duke, but I can hope that Bryke decided to get a bit adventurous.

Zoombie
06-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Pff, we all know it was Suki.

Sokka might have helped.

Sheryl Nantus
06-21-2012, 11:37 PM

Possible spoiler: Iroh is Zuko’s grandson, not his son (link) (http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/06/19/the-legend-of-korra-creators-preview-the-finale/).

Love that family tree - where is it from?

Can't wait until Saturday...

*glares at clock*

Faster... FASTER!!!

thebloodfiend
06-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Pff, we all know it was Suki.

Sokka might have helped.

Hah!

You know, I liked Suki before season three. I didn't understand why they brought her back, tbh. She was awesome and then she was just... Sokka's arm pillow.

Maybe it was Jet. If he didn't die, that is. Jet is just about the only guy crazy enough on the show to procreate (yes, procreate) with Toph. And badass enough to father Lin.

Zoombie
06-22-2012, 12:17 AM
I remember her kicking plenty of ass in season 3...

thebloodfiend
06-22-2012, 12:44 AM
She didn't seem the same, though. I was just disappointed. No discussion on how she fared in jail, how Azula treated her, no nothing. I thought there'd be more depth to her character after she was in the toughest prison in the world for a few months. Instead, she was just the GF quipster who could kick a bit of ass. Not quite as bad as Yue, but not what I'd expected from her character.

KateSmash
06-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Oh yeah... I'm going to have to rewatch that. Were they redirecting? Or just producing? I'm surprised I didn't remember that because I think that was one of the first things that made me think along the same lines that seeing him do it in this last episode did... mainly that bending has come a long way... redirecting lightning and bending metal used to be big, difficult, master-level stuff, and now Joe Bender can do it. And Amon can bend bending, even though that used to be Avatar-only power. It makes me wonder what's coming next? Like I've been waiting and waiting for Korra to glow it up, but now I'm wondering if that's even big enough for this world...

Duh. You're right. This was the first time we saw him redirect it. *puts on dunce cap* It does raise some interesting questions considering it's a technique Iroh created. I wonder how he and Zuko managed to spread it like that.

I still have money on Korra going Avatar State in the finale. At least I hope so, since I don't see her mastering air bending any time soon. She's got to make a real connection with Aang (other than flashbacks) somehow.

(chewing toenails): I think I'll learn to see with my feet.

:roll: Exactly!

pandaponies
06-22-2012, 01:18 AM
I still have money on Korra going Avatar State in the finale.

Me too. In the teaser where you see Amon put his thumb on her forehead like he's about to take her bending away, I bet THAT's the moment it happens.

Zoombie
06-22-2012, 01:28 AM
I bet that she goes avatar state AFTER her bending gets taken away, when she makes a major spiritual realization.

thebloodfiend
06-22-2012, 01:48 AM
^That'd be much better, IMO. Her just going all Avatar state when he puts his thumb on her head would be pretty predictable and anti-climatic. It'd make me wonder what the point of the whole series was if it was that easy to take him down.

Zoombie
06-22-2012, 02:01 AM
I personally think the series point is that...well, there is a historical problem in the avatar world, one that the characters haven't really adressed. They might beat up amon, but they need to deal with the fact that...well...

He has a point.

thebloodfiend
06-22-2012, 02:06 AM
From her spiritual/personal growth perspective, though. If taking him down is just as easy as glowing it up, well, what's the point of her growing and training and learning? It's Aang's dilemma, really, that I'm wondering how they're going to get around since she doesn't have his sense of monk morality, thou shalt not kill, ingrained into her.

I'm hoping his defeat will be more than the great avatar spirit tossing him around. I hope it's Korra actually thinking, and not the god mode doing it for her. That's probably why I stopped reading Naruto. Watching the fox pull him out of all the big problems got annoying after a while. I'm more interested in her big show down for season one, and the world's showdown in season two.

Zoombie
06-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Oh yeah, I think it'll be badass...the previews showed biplanes.

EE!

I love biplanes!

MsJudy
06-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Put me down on the Korra + Asami team. WAY more interesting than what they've done with Mako, ever.

I miss Zuko...

pandaponies
06-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Oooo, good points, you two. Zoombie, now that you say that, your prediction seems more likely.

pandaponies
06-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Put me down on the Korra + Asami team.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS another for our ranks... muahahahaha. *smirks and drums fingertips together*

thebloodfiend
06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Fuck it. Put me down, too. I'm sick of waiting for Zutura: The Sequel to happen.

pandaponies
06-22-2012, 09:28 AM
^SQUEE! *runs in excited circles*

I meant, ahem, uh... eeeexxxxcellent. Everything is going according to plan. >:]

KateSmash
06-22-2012, 03:58 PM
The only ship I want right now is Iroh II + my tv screen. :-p It's awful late in the story to intro a new character like that. Bryke, don't fudge it up.

Sheryl Nantus
06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS another for our ranks... muahahahaha. *smirks and drums fingertips together*

Can we have a Iroh/Mako group?

*laughs evilly*

lots of delish men dere... such a waste!

;)

MsJudy
06-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Ooh, yes, Iroh + Mako = simmering hunky badness.

*sigh*

How come all the really hot guys are cartoons?

Cai
06-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Love that family tree - where is it from?

I think it was a bonus from Korranation but since I am from Europe I couldn't participate, so I'm not one hundred percent sure. But I'm pretty sure it's official. The fandom freaked out about the fact that Bumi's red collar looks a bit like the collars of fire nation royalty. ;)
Well, in case he is Iroh's father, I hope we'll come to know tomorrow ...

pandaponies
06-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Oh my god I would SO get on board with some IrohII+Mako! Perfection! You guys are brilliant. :D

KateSmash, they do have season 2 left to play with him in... I think it'll be all right.

My only Iroh complaint is that I wish his voice actor would talk in a lower voice or something. Otherwise, I hope you guys have all seen THIS >:] (http://xkojin.tumblr.com/post/25326632330/hello-ladies-iroh-here)

AND ALSO THIS

http://chzfandom.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/fanart-cosplay-easier-on-the-eyes-too1.png

(though I think Tenzin is incredibly badass)

KateSmash
06-23-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm really not sure how I feel about that ending. The pacing was ... off. I mean, I get that the whole "Korra is a spiritual failure" was the big initial problem but ... I don't know. It was rushed. They needed at least one more episode to wrap up things in a more satisfying way.

thebloodfiend
06-23-2012, 10:00 PM
...I'm disappointed.

Nick Rolynd
06-23-2012, 11:18 PM
I agree on the rushed feeling. I think there should have been a whole follow-up episode where Korra struggles for a while, goes off her own, and after a lengthy journey through the wilderness, reaches the avatar state (as opposed to the short, five minute version of that we saw in the finale). Either that, or they should have cut the season off on the "everyone lost their bending" sad note, and started season 2 with Korra going on some journey to reach the avatar state.

I'm wondering if they just ran out of time (considering Korra was originally supposed to be a mini-series, right?) to fit it all into one finale.

On another note, though, did Tarlock did just commit a murder/suicide? :Wha:

Kyra Wright
06-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I'm not satisfied with the finale. I'm particularly irritated about Lin's heroic sacrifice being rendered meaningless one episode later.

Gilroy Cullen
06-24-2012, 12:40 AM
It felt too pat, too clean of a repair/ending.
Almost like they never knew how a teen girl might react, so we have to skip her moping.

Also, why didn't we get to see more Meelo Fartbending?!?!? :ROFL:

Maramoser
06-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Blah, it was such a cop-out. The concepts were nice, but I felt like Korra hadn't earned it, because they hadn't given her a chance to. Plus, now what's going to happen in season two? Besides Bumi, of course. Looking forward to that! :partyguy:

(We're not even gonna talk about the Makorra. Just...I can't. It was so bad)

pandaponies
06-24-2012, 03:47 AM
I agree on the rushed feeling. I think there should have been a whole follow-up episode where Korra struggles for a while, goes off her own, and after a lengthy journey through the wilderness, reaches the avatar state (as opposed to the short, five minute version of that we saw in the finale). Either that, or they should have cut the season off on the "everyone lost their bending" sad note, and started season 2 with Korra going on some journey to reach the avatar state.
YES. THIS.

The murder/suicide... I... didn't see it coming, and I had SO MANY EMOTIONS OMG. ;___;

Also, I wanted to hold Asami and tell her it's going to be all right. Asami tears = MY HEART *clutches at her chest and falls over*

Makorra getting shoved down my throat = not happy about that either. *sulk* But I still OMG'd all over the screen and will eagerly await season 2.

Nick Rolynd
06-24-2012, 03:53 AM
The murder/suicide... I... didn't see it coming, and I had SO MANY EMOTIONS OMG. ;___;

I was quite shocked when it happened, if only because the concept seemed a little too mature for the show. I know they didn't actually show anything but an explosion, but still, watching Tarlock pick up the shock-glove and unscrew the cap on the gas tank just threw me for a second.

Kyra Wright
06-24-2012, 04:19 AM
I think the scene where Korra enters the Avatar state and gets her bending back could have been fucking amazing if it had come in the second season, after a spiritual journey/struggle/anything. I feel like the show's leaning a bit too hard on Aang communicating with Korra to give her the answers/abilities she needs.

Also, I wanted to hold Asami and tell her it's going to be all right. Asami tears = MY HEART *clutches at her chest and falls over*
Agreed on both. Asami's encounter with her father and Amon and Tarrloks' deaths were, in my opinion, the two scenes in the finale that were really well done.

Sheryl Nantus
06-24-2012, 05:28 AM
The finale worked for me. I wasn't really looking forward to a season of Angst-I-can't-Bend!Korra. It's not like we wouldn't see her get her bending back at some point - and, to be fair, we don't know how much time elapsed between the final encounter and her being down with Katara. Republic City had to be calmed down and the situation such that Tenzin, his family and Korra could leave safely to get to Katara. That didn't happen overnight.

I really don't need more teenage angst stories. They're just plain old boring.

And let's not forget at the very beginning she was berated for not having any sort of spiritual connection to the Avatar - so it did come full circle.

What I *would* like to see is HOW Amon learned how to strip bending. Korra is going to be very busy giving bending back to the residents and I'd like to see her go out to try and find how and who showed Amon. He didn't just develop this out of the blue - he had to have tried in on other benders and figured out how to make this work.

Not to mention the split now between benders and non-benders. This could spread throughout the world - the Council had no official non-bender representation on it - Tenzin should move to have a rep for all the nonbenders. Just because Amon is gone (and I really wasn't ready for a season of guerilla warfare because, let's be honest, the residents were pulling for Amon!) doesn't mean the feelings aren't still there to some degree - resentment against the benders.

jmo, ymmv.

Ginger Writer
06-24-2012, 08:09 AM
The finale worked for me. I wasn't really looking forward to a season of Angst-I-can't-Bend!Korra. It's not like we wouldn't see her get her bending back at some point - and, to be fair, we don't know how much time elapsed between the final encounter and her being down with Katara. Republic City had to be calmed down and the situation such that Tenzin, his family and Korra could leave safely to get to Katara. That didn't happen overnight.

I really don't need more teenage angst stories. They're just plain old boring.

And let's not forget at the very beginning she was berated for not having any sort of spiritual connection to the Avatar - so it did come full circle.

What I *would* like to see is HOW Amon learned how to strip bending. Korra is going to be very busy giving bending back to the residents and I'd like to see her go out to try and find how and who showed Amon. He didn't just develop this out of the blue - he had to have tried in on other benders and figured out how to make this work.

Not to mention the split now between benders and non-benders. This could spread throughout the world - the Council had no official non-bender representation on it - Tenzin should move to have a rep for all the nonbenders. Just because Amon is gone (and I really wasn't ready for a season of guerilla warfare because, let's be honest, the residents were pulling for Amon!) doesn't mean the feelings aren't still there to some degree - resentment against the benders.

jmo, ymmv.

Yes, this.

Zoombie
06-24-2012, 10:00 AM
I liked it!

I mean, yes, it could have been longer...but I've been saying that from EPISODE ONE.

Also, you note!

Mako and Asame don't break up. Asame and Korra like eachother.

I see absolutely no reason why it's not a menage a trois.

They don't say it doesn't happen, so therefor, it does!

Gilroy Cullen
06-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I know they didn't actually show anything but an explosion, but still, watching Tarlock pick up the shock-glove and unscrew the cap on the gas tank just threw me for a second.

Well, maybe I've watched too many cartoons, or just have expectations because of other situations, but I don't think either Tarlock or Amon are gone.

Consider, all they showed us WAS the explosion. We don't know if either of them maybe was thrown from the boat and survived (suddenly that scar becomes real?) or what. All we saw was big boom.

I think the scene where Korra enters the Avatar state and gets her bending back could have been fucking amazing if it had come in the second season, after a spiritual journey/struggle/anything.

This is another case of we don't know all the facts, I think. Yes, Korra reached the avatar state. Yes, Aang helped her. Has she reached the end of her spiritual journey? Has she truly found her spirital balance? Does she still air bend? They do leave some questions for us to fret over until season 2 appears.

We may still have more to come...

Katrina S. Forest
06-25-2012, 07:13 PM
I liked the ending a lot. I agree Korra's spiritual journey could have been given a little more time, but I do see where she progressed. First, she only got flashes of Aang's past. Then she could see the visions more clearly. Finally, she could communicate with him and the other avatars directly. I wish she would've had more of a struggle to get there (like when Aang had to give up on his feelings for Katara to master the avatar state), but I don't think it would've added more than a single episode.

I kind of wonder if each of the avatars builds on the previous one's ability. Presumably, no one could take away others' bending before Aang. So now Korra is the first to give powers back.

I'm looking forward to the next season. I like the idea that the plots are going to be completely separate from each other, and I trust the writers to make the second season just as good. I'm pretty sure Amon and his brother are dead, just because I don't think they're going back to that plot line. I was shocked they showed that explosion on a show rated Y7, though. I'm glad they didn't feel the need to sensor it, but I wish they would've felt that way more often in the first series. (I'm thinking of Katara's threat to Zuko that she will, "end his journey permanently" or however she phrased it. Y'know, as opposed to just saying, "If you hurt Aang, I'll kill you.")

As an aside, while it was cool to hear Zuko's voice on the show again, it was a bit creepy. It made me think of Iroh as a young adult version of Zuko, rather than his grandchild.

MsJudy
06-25-2012, 07:15 PM
If Korra can give bending powers back... maybe someday she'll be able to give powers to non-benders...?

Sign me up for a little water bending. I don't think I trust myself with fire...

Zoombie
06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
I did like the fact that her avatar state didn't come during a fight. That's never been Korra's big struggle.

Pterofan
06-26-2012, 02:33 AM
If Korra can give bending powers back... maybe someday she'll be able to give powers to non-benders...?

Sign me up for a little water bending. I don't think I trust myself with fire...

I was thinking along those lines myself. Korra's in the town square, returning powers to de-powered benders, and a non-bender sneaks into line just to see what he/she can get ...

Better still, Asami. Then she'd be even more kickass.

MsJudy
06-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Asami would have racecar-bending skills. Kind of like metal bending, but at super high speed.

Jessianodel
06-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Mind if I join the fan club?

I agree the last scenes in the finale were a bit of a let down. It was fine leading up to it but I felt like it should have ended without her bending. I honestly though that a perfect ending would be her running out of the gate with Naga. And Mako just completely forgot about Asami? What was with that?

Not that it would ever keep me from watching the second season...:)

Gilroy Cullen
06-26-2012, 03:47 PM

I think I'll lean toward Air Bending myself...
The only way to fly!

Sheryl Nantus
06-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Don't forget, the Avatar's job is also to keep balance in the world.

Which is why I figured the benders would find a way to get their powers restored - you can't have a world without benders. It's unbalanced.

Which Amon forgot.

I would love to see what happened to him between walking into the storm and showing up at Republic City with his chi-blockers and his knowledge of how to *sever* the bending link. I thought it was a type of chi blocking but if Katara couldn't fix it...

... that's major mojo.

And given that Aang was the one who discovered/was given the power to take away bending... seems sort of right that he be the one to give it to Korra and let her start restoring the balance by restoring bending.

However I think she's going to be pretty busy for a few weeks with a lineup around the block for restoration...

;)

heza
06-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Can we have a Iroh/Mako group?

I wasn't inspired to fic for this show until... just now. :D

I agree the last scenes in the finale were a bit of a let down. It was fine leading up to it but I felt like it should have ended without her bending. I honestly though that a perfect ending would be her running out of the gate with Naga. And Mako just completely forgot about Asami? What was with that?

I think the finale was rushed. I would have really liked to have witnessed a little more fallout from Korra losing her bending, rather that have everything cleaned up so quickly. The Makorra was meh. It was wrapped up just as cleanly and quickly as everything else. I'm not saying I wanted a slow dragout for S2, but a few episodes devoted to it on the front end would have been nice.

However, I'm going to forgive all of this and withhold judgement until I see what they can do with a full-season storyline. As far as I'm concerned, this was all warm up.

KateSmash
07-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Good news, everyone! (Gosh, I've always wanted to say that.)

Not only are we getting the 14 episode Book 2, Nick has ordered 26 more episodes on top of that. (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/11/legend-of-korra-second-season/) I hope this means Bryke will slow down just a teensy bit and give us another epic.

Persei
07-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Though I am not sure of how Bryke is going to write all these episodes... Unless everything that was half-explained on the season 1 is going to be fully explored -- and with that, I really hope we are getting to see an aftermath with the Equalists.

Korra learnt nothing, and the ending was completely Deus Ex Machina. I would say who really saves the day in LoK is Aang. For whatever the hell he did on the end.

thebloodfiend
07-12-2012, 02:31 AM
My god. I have the feeling that most of it is going to be filler.

That the finale disappointed me would be an understatement. Unless they bring in some new writers (read: better writers) I'm probably not going to watch. I mean, Bryke are awesome artists. They're good with dialogue. They're good with premise. But they can't plot to save their fucking lives. They're like George Lucas in that they know nothing about writing romance. It's saddening that such great potential goes to waste because they don't know how to tie up loose ends.

I could go on and on, but I won't. I mean, I'm happy that the show is doing well. God knows female PoC need more representation in the media as leads. But they could ease off the Deus Ex Machina and the character soup and be a bit more adventurous with their villains. Those are my only complaints with them, besides their lack of romance skills.

I mean, yes, it was a short season, but other writers have done a lot more with much less. Being anime fanboys, they should know that. They should've learned from season three of their first series not to load up on filler and shove everything into the finale. Here's to hoping they get it the third time around.

Zoombie
07-12-2012, 05:13 AM
JSM wrote every single Babylon 5 episode from the end of Season 2 to Season 5, and wrote most of Season 2 and a good part of Season 1.

It can be done!

Whether Byke can do it...

Gilroy Cullen
07-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I think their biggest problem is they tried to pack a multiseason arc into a single season, so everything was compressed, compacted, and just unfulfilling.

They've said in interviews that they have enough ideas to run through season 5 right now. Not sure what that means.

Perhaps, with two full, guaranteed seasons ahead of them, we'll see better plotting and pacing.

(Provided Viacom and DirecTV quit arguing and gives me Nickalodeon back!)

Persei
07-12-2012, 03:37 PM
I think they could have done it. But the problem is that they spent some valuable episodes on the love triangle when they could've used those episodes to move the plot forward or foreshadow the background history of some characters that deserved more than only one episode -- namely the last one -- to have their pasts discovered.

MsJudy
07-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Good news, everyone!

Thanks, Professor!

heza
07-12-2012, 09:36 PM
:nothing

Since the season ended, I've missed talking about it.

Gilroy Cullen
07-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm missing the reruns because Viacom is being greedy!

:cry:

The305itself
09-15-2012, 01:39 AM
I quit avatar the last air bender, I'm too lazy to watch more of it, I probably should, but I wont. The original show was so awesome to me, and I just don't want to risk seeing one of my favorite cartoons in a different light.

regdog
10-26-2012, 02:46 PM
I just saw all of season 1. It was okay. My problem the storyline wasn't developed enough so it could all be one season. My opinion, it should have been the whole series just as Aang's fight with Ozai took 3 seasons. Everything wrapped up to quickly and neatly with Korra and Amon. B-

AlexPiper
10-26-2012, 08:44 PM
There's a reason for that, based on what I hear.

Apparently when they started, they thought they were going to have two seasons, so there was a slower start and the Amon story would've been split into two halves (for the two seasons). Then they were told they were probably only getting one season, and scrambled to try to wrap everything up by the finale rather than leave viewers on a half-completed story and a season finale cliffhanger (as soooo many series have), hence why everything sort of started to rush to a conclusion after a certain point. Then just around finishing up the first season, they were told that, "Actually, your ratings are successful enough that you're getting four seasons total, so you have three more."

Zoombie
10-26-2012, 08:58 PM
It reminds me of what happened to seasons 4 and 5 of Babylon 5, tbh.

AlexPiper
10-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Yep. It's the same way that Babylon 5 was written as a 5-year story, then they thought they were being cancelled after the 4th and rushed to tell the original season 5 story quickly, then got a 5th season after all and sort of went, "Uhm. Hrm. Okay, now what? We already blew through what would've been season 5 on the back half of season 4..."

Unfortunately, while I love Bryke's work, they're apparently not as good at condensing story as JMS was. I expect the Amon story would've been a lot stronger if they'd had two full seasons to tell it in instead, and had been able to have Korra have to really go on a journey of self-discovery to figure out how to cure chi-blocking... or to come to grips with the idea that she couldn't, which almost might've been a more interesting tale. But in fairness, as much as the rushed ending was annoying, I also think it would've been way more annoying if they'd kept to that two-season arc and then been cut off halfway through, never finishing the story. So I understand how they got there.

Zoombie
10-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Really, I think their worldbuilding alone saves it from most of the failings...even if, frankly...the original show's story is much MUCH stronger.

Which bums me out, because I love Korra and Korra's characters.

Except for Mako. Fuck that guy, he's a TERRIBLE boyfriend.

MsJudy
10-27-2012, 03:51 AM

Yes.

regdog
10-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of the character Korra. She's rather annoying. I know they wanted a complete opposite of Aang, but did that have to make so irritating and Mako, meh. I'll give season 2 a try but don't know if I'll stick with it.

thebloodfiend
12-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Really, I think their worldbuilding alone saves it from most of the failings...even if, frankly...the original show's story is much MUCH stronger.

Which bums me out, because I love Korra and Korra's characters.

This is a terribly old thread, I know. BUT (if you still watch the show that is):

Korrasami. It happened. That is all.

Also, it got much better. Season 3/4 were pretty watchable.

pandaponies
12-20-2014, 09:56 AM
AJDKLSDJFKLSDJFLJF I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE ENDING I KEPT WATCHING IT OVER AND OVER BECAUSE I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES

Seasons 3/4 got MUCH better. I almost quit the show entirely 2/3 of the way through season 2 and a friend assured me that the end of season 2 did get better and to keep watching, and now I'm SO FUCKING GLAD that I did. Holy shit. The very last ending scene is now my desktop background. I'm dying.

Putputt
12-20-2014, 10:00 AM
I gave up after watching the first season, but my friend just told me what happened in the finale of season 3. Amazingballs!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! I haven't even been keeping up with it and I want to scream it to the world. The best love triangle twist ever.