My One Star Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but it's about my novel. If you received a poor review, the review itself was excellent and percise, would you allow that book review site to publish it for at least a bit more exposure? Hope that a reader would take a chance at an "underdog" novel?

I know it might hurt my chances at people getting turned off from reading my work, but I do show promise to persevere. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Any site that allows the writer to determine which reviews post isn't going to be the sort of site people trust for accurate information on the books featured.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Not sure where to post this, but it's about my novel. If you received a poor review, the review itself was excellent and percise, would you allow that book review site to publish it for at least a bit more exposure?

I'm not too impressed by a review site that allows authors the choice of whether or not a review is published.

My first novel got a one-star review which included personal comments about me. I figured that in this profession, I had to take the rough with the smooth. That review is up along with all the positive, complimentary reviews on a public website, where readers can see both sides and make their choice.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well I didn't look at that way, they asked me if I still wanted it posted since it was a poor one star review and they don't necessarily like doing that for writers, perhaps thinking it would hurt the book or publisher? I'm thinking go ahead post away. I have no control over what people are going to say about it. I'm anticipating mixed reviews to be honest. I was never approached this way.

Last reviews I got were posted whether I wanted it or not. If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen, have away with it.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it is weird, for sure. I asked what EXACTLY is going to be posted, cause that wasn't clear either. They gave me "reader" reviews and editoral reviews too.

The story is done, I can't fix my mistakes, I can learn from them sure, it was a joy to finally get. So I am relieved about that. I want it posted to be honest. I don't know...again, bizarro

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I dunno. I've never had the option, so there are definitely some negative reviews floating around out there. As far as I can tell they haven't had much of a negative impact, but that's really hard to determine. I sort of feel once the book is out there it's out of the author's control what others say.

Procrastinista

Registered
Reaction score
If I saw a one-star review for a book and didn't know much about the story, I would definitely pass on buying the book. No underdog feelings would kick in, sorry. So, I'd tell them to remove the negative review.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This.

I dunno. I've never had the option, so there are definitely some negative reviews floating around out there. As far as I can tell they haven't had much of a negative impact, but that's really hard to determine. I sort of feel once the book is out there it's out of the author's control what others say.

I don't understand why they are giving you the option. It seems a bit unethical (maybe that's too strong a word). I know some review sites say they don't post bad reviews...they just won't write one if the book lacks enough merit. But asking the author if they still want it posted? Ack.

Sorry for the review. But the best thing you can do is not focus on them. Good or bad.

Mandiloo322

[Shhhh....I'm writing.]
Registered
Reaction score
If I saw a one-star review for a book and didn't know much about the story, I would definitely pass on buying the book. No underdog feelings would kick in, sorry. So, I'd tell them to remove the negative review.

I would agree with this (the opinion, not necessarily removing the review). The reviewer would have to make really vague comments for me to ignore it and pick up the book anyway. However, I will also say that reader reviews have a much bigger impact on my decision than an official book review does. :)

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
Echoing the "that's weird" sentiment, but I think it's commendable that you feel they should post it anyway. Shows you have thick skin and a healthy attitude towards other's opinions. I say yes, go ahead and have them post it ( but since it's such a strange situation you might want to get an 'advanced copy' of the post, just so that you and the reviewers are on the same page).

Sorry about the one star, but again, congrats on the level head. :)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Some sites have a policy of not posting one or two star reviews. Personally for me, that weakens the validity of the site's opinion if all they review publicly is three star or better.

I would venture to guess that neither the site nor the review is going to do you any favors.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, good points with everyone. If I do approve it, I definitely would like the advanced copy first.

I got nothing to lose, if the book never sells then, oh well I tried. Just will try harder on the next book is all. I can't please everyone. I am used to mixed reviews. Least it would get the book more exposure. It's blastered everywhere else.

Reaction score
I had a one-star review once and to be honest the person completely misunderstood the point of the book, but, whatever. If I'd reacted I'd have looked like a precious author. A well-meaning friend tried to defend the book, but I asked her to stop in case the reviewer thought I'd asked her to do it.

Whatever. The book is my bestselling one so far, and my best, in my opinion. One bad review didn't stop me contracting another three manuscripts or building up a following.

If your book's good, no one review will kill your career.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

I would agree with this (the opinion, not necessarily removing the review). The reviewer would have to make really vague comments for me to ignore it and pick up the book anyway. However, I will also say that reader reviews have a much bigger impact on my decision than an official book review does. :)

If this is true, could one guess that you don't read any books at all? After all, many books -- and probably all popular ones -- get at least a couple of 1-star reviews from reviewers all the time. Making a choice of reading material just because one person somewhere in the world doesn't like a book is....odd.

I'll see what one-star reviewers say, and a review might affect my decision about whether to read the book, depending on the reviewer's comments. But the simple existence of a bad review doesn't, in and of itself, put me off in the slightest. Some of my very favouritest books have received bad reviews.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
It is strange that someone is asking whether the review should be published.

I agree with those saying one review isn't going to end the world. There are a zillion opinions out there; everybody's got one. :)

Which book is this for? Demon Girl? (Just a guess, since I see that in your sig.)

Don't let it get to you. (Not that it really seems to be, which is good. But still...) Somebody (you) thought it was good enough to write. Somebody (your agent, editor(s) etc.) thought it was good to sell. And I bet plenty of people are going to think it will be great to read. :D

And as you said yourself... You can't change that book. But there is no reason you can't strive to do better and better with each one. :)

Good luck!

P.S. Edited to add:

The mere presence of one star reviews will not stop me from reading something. I don't pay attention to stars. I pay attention to what a reviewer is saying and then I evaluate that against what I know I like or don't like. The actual star rating (or number rating on a video game ... That's where I learnt to evaluate my purchases -- gaming is expensive!) doesn't mean squat. The review itself doesn't, either. What matters is knowing what you, as an individual, like to read (or watch, or play, or anything).

Last edited:

JenniferB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcocoon.blogspot.com
I prefer reader reviews, and when I look at a book's reviews, I read the extremes first (lowest and highest "stars"), then I really pay attention to the middle of the road reviews. I find, somewhere in the middle, therein lies the truth - usually. The extremes tells me who the book's target readers are/aren't - usually. As for the "underdog" thing - that would not occur to me.

As for what you should do in your situation - that I leave to others to comment on. I really don't know what's in an author's best interest in this scenario.

As a reader, I would not want to use a review site where they allowed the author to influence the review in any way. I've been reading a lot lately about this happening 'round the Internet. Writer's exchanging reviews, sites only posting reviews on books they like, etc. Don't know how pervasive this is...maybe I should start reading more professional reviews!

Sorry about the one star, don't let it get you down. Not everyone likes the same stuff. Agreed that some of my favorite books have received bad reviews.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
A one-star review can actually encourage me to pick up a book if I can see that they disliked it for the same reasons I'd enjoy it. For example, if they said it was "too dark", I'd definitely be intrigued. :tongue

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
A one-star review can actually encourage me to pick up a book if I can see that they disliked it for the same reasons I'd enjoy it. For example, if they said it was "too dark", I'd definitely be intrigued. :tongue
This is another great point. Switch "dark" with something like "romantic", or "had a strong paranormal element" and that might be me. Someone else's complaints might actually end up being advertising, depending on what the reader in question enjoys. Everybody likes different stuff.

Veering off on a video game tangent...

For video games my favorite is "There is too much story." Great! Sign me up! Whereas when a game site says "This game is really, really hard." then I want a demo. I have cerebral palsy and I am legally blind -- games are interactive books to me, so "really really hard" gameplay will not sell.

Getting back to books now, though... :D

I actually read one star reviews on Amazon for fun. For some reason it amuses me to hear people giving such strong opinions on what they dislike. Sometimes I take note of something, most of the time it goes in one ear and out the other.

I wonder how people actually get started doing a review blog / site. Not sure I'd have the time for it, but it could be interesting. But now I'm rambling about a whole other subject. :tongue

Knowing how to read a review in a way that helps you sort it out for yourself is the most important part of the whole process. I'll stand behind that statement. :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score

This is exactly what I'm talking about. And yes, the review was a dark one. The book itself is very dark, edgy and in certain parts, grave and depressing. So I dunno either. So people might groove on something like that.

I don't like the fact that I can decide either. It's either do it or don't. I had a review for Dreaming and the professional book review said since it was such a poor review on her part and that she didn't see it being something they wanted to promote on their site, she just pain out said "there will be no review". I thought this was a big waste, especially since I gave her a printed copy too.

I mean what's the point of one star if one stars aren't going to be shown? I say let the reader decide. And it's a shame some people only read "popular" books. That's like saying I only watch "popular" movies...or only listen to "popular" songs. Many people have many different tastes, that's what makes the world go 'round.

Besides I've been fighting to get this book out there into the world, why stop now?

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
If you have a choice -- don't get a one-star review posted. Lots of readers won't look beyond the * to see the meat of the review.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Anecdote: My publishing professor once worked in a library, and one of his tasks was to put the returned books back on the shelves where they belonged. But people kept pinching the books off his cart before than he could put them back on the shelf. The fact that somebody else had chosen those books was enough to make them attractive.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I once bought a book because of a one-star review. They denounced it, in hilariously flowery language, as unecessarily graphic, too dark and grim, containing coarse language and a nihilistic message. I didn't need any more prompting. Any book that can make someone clutch their pearls that tightly just had to be up my street.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'll see what one-star reviewers say, and a review might affect my decision about whether to read the book, depending on the reviewer's comments. But the simple existence of a bad review doesn't, in and of itself, put me off in the slightest. Some of my very favouritest books have received bad reviews.

I once bought a book because of a one-star review. They denounced it, in hilariously flowery language, as unecessarily graphic, too dark and grim, containing coarse language and a nihilistic message. I didn't need any more prompting. Any book that can make someone clutch their pearls that tightly just had to be up my street.

Exactly - IF the one star review is precise in what the reviewer didn't like, and it's something subjective, it might actually make me pick up the book. For instance, a not so good review that I had stated that the 'characters were too complicated'. I LIKE complicated characters - I'm more likely to pout down a book with characters that are too one-dimensional. If a romance book gets a one star for 'too much action, not enough romance', hell yes, I'll pick up that book!

A one star review that is one star because of subjective opinion on content may give you readers. (or may not, obviously). A one star review that is low becuase of other things (poor sentence construction, bad grammar, trite imagery etc) probably not.

But I'd not refuse any review. Everyone is entitled to say what they like about the book once it's out in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.