The Smurfs (God help me)

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I promised my kids I'd take them to see the Smurfs movie. Oy. Will anyone else share in my suffering?

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I think the movie will definately smurf!

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thank God my kids are too old for this movie. I'm taking them to Cowboys and Aliens next week. Hell yeah!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're a better mother than I, DJ. I didn't even allow those things into the house when they were kids.

This movie is just the ultimate example that Hollywood has gotten really lazy, IMO.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Love the thread title.

Back in the 80s, one of my friends used to wear pinned to his lapel a smurf, upside-down, stuck with pins, blood dripping from all the pinholes. :evil

I had to sit through the Jimmy Neutron Movie and the Barney movie when my offspring were little. :Headbang: I've paid my dues.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a friend who used to make a tidy sum at SF/F cons selling "Smurf pelts". They looked like flattened smurfs, made out of white and blue felt, with a hoop through their noses. One lady made a costume out of them instead of the normal rabbit fur. It was great fun.

I'm very glad my kids were little when the worst of it was Care Bears and TMNT.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, we're so going! Call me a dork, but...I used to have a Smurf's lunchbox. I also had Smurf figurines that I played with in the bathtub.

Okay, we won't pay to go to the theater, but when it comes out, we may end up renting it at some point.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
As a kid, I used to wonder how smurfs had babies. There was only one female, and there was this episode where she was created by the evil wizard as bait for the all-male population. I used to imagine mitosis.

One smurf --> *pop* --> Two smurfs...

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I loved smurfs, whe I was 7. Now my kids watch the old cartoon and I cringe. Plus, I hate these kinds of movies. Cartoon characters mixed with real people. HATE these movies with a passion. But Neil Patrick Harris almost, almost makes me reconsider.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, i don't hate the smurfs. I just hate the idea of paying 40$ to sit in a theatre and watch some dumb kids movie while eating overpriced popcorn.

Fortunately my kid is now old enough for most superhero and action movies.

pbook

Registered
Reaction score
I just found out about this smurfs movie and will have to see it, thank you OP.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
This movie is just the ultimate example that Hollywood has gotten really lazy, IMO.
Lazy?

The process took over 8 years ! There's a hell of a lot of work and effort going into these kinds of projects because there is a lot more limitations .. doing an 'original' project is a lot less work!

Here's a blogpost from one of the lawyers who worked on the Smurf project: http://www.thewrap.com/movies/blog-post/smurfs-make-us-return-big-screen-29466

You can say what you like about the motivation for these projects .. but the motivation certainly isn't laziness!

Mac

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up watching the Smurfs. I absolutely refuse to watch this movie. Isn't it live action,too?

Hell,no. The kids won't drag me to this one. Sometimes,parents have to draw a line in the sand to protect their sanity.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Lazy?

The process took over 8 years ! There's a hell of a lot of work and effort going into these kinds of projects because there is a lot more limitations .. doing an 'original' project is a lot less work!

Here's a blogpost from one of the lawyers who worked on the Smurf project: http://www.thewrap.com/movies/blog-post/smurfs-make-us-return-big-screen-29466

You can say what you like about the motivation for these projects .. but the motivation certainly isn't laziness!

Mac
Not lazy; just unwilling to take any kind of creative risk.