Help I need a historian-WW1

emmyshimmy

Registered
Reaction score
Oh the irony I have a double major in history and anthropology, but I studied Asia instead of Europe :(

My problem is this I have a MC (British) who has marched his jolly butt all the way across France just to be ambushed by the Hun. He is wounded and crawling over his dead buddies back up the road hoping to get to ____ where he can find medical help and be sent back to England. I don't know where to send him. I know Paris was useless later in the war, but this is early enough that the Germans have gained ground and before the Yanks got involved. Can anyone help?

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Positions were very different in the Fall of 1914 from where they were in the Summer of 1917. I believe that the British were on different parts of the front during different phases of the War. Exactly when is this set? While the lines didn't move fast, the War. Decide the time, then look up the position of the front and the positions of the British sector.

Last edited:

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Sigh!

British, it's British not English.

Right, before anyone can help you we need to know the year and the month so we can tell you who was where and doing what since a lot of the war in France was fairly immobile in trenches.

Also what rank does this poor Tommy have and what regiment is he in?

There were field hospitals behind the lines and Quaker and pacifist ambulance services right at the front to take men to the field hospital.

reiver33

Monolithic
Registered
Reaction score
About the only situation I can think of when the British could have been ambushed by the Germans, unless you're talking about a purely tactical affair, would be in 1914.

The BEF (British Expeditionary Force) advanced into Belgium, this being why we were there (to protect their sovereignty) and then had to conduct a fighting retreat in the face of overwhelming odds. It was more a case of us plucky Brits rapping the Hun across the knuckles and falling back to another stop-gap position, with very little in the way of counter-attacks which might place your MC in the hands of the foe.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
To the OP, what others have asked?

When would this incident take place? Where?

If you can provide a fixed point, then we can point you in the right direction. There's a wealth of material out there.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
British, it's British not English.

Actually, it's not even that simple. There were commonwealth forces (India, notably) engaged in WWI, so don't go thinking this was a bunch of white guys shooting at each other - the clue is in the name: World War One.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it's not even that simple. There were commonwealth forces (India, notably) engaged in WWI, so don't go thinking this was a bunch of white guys shooting at each other - the clue is in the name: World War One.

It wasn't the Commonwealth at that time. It was still the Empire.

/pedant

emmyshimmy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you PDR that was very helpful.

The time is fall 1914. I want the kids marching their butts off to have enthusiasm still. The month is flexible since my Captain is about to fall threw time and end up in the present any how, but this march effects who he becomes.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The time is fall 1914. I want the kids marching their butts off to have enthusiasm still. The month is flexible since my Captain is about to fall threw time and end up in the present any how, but this march effects who he becomes.

If they're British, it's autumn, not fall.

/pedant

emmyshimmy

Registered
Reaction score
Buffysquirrel thank you for your answer.

What month would the weather have been most pleasant? August or September? I don't want to write a lot of weather details because the important part is he is wounded and left on his own. The Englishman's Daughter-a wonderful memoir if you haven't read it I recommend it-informed this bit of plot.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
From the first link I left up above.
the weather was very hot in late August

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
it might be worth getting your hands on a copy of Lyn MacDonald's '1914 ' It's full of first-hand accounts of the run up to the war and the first few months. She interviewed a lot of old soldiers and there are also accounts from people who lived through it in other ways.
Definitely worth looking for.

emmyshimmy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion firedrake. I'll look for a copy today.

This first scene has proven to be the hardest part of the book. All the rest has been straight forward. The dialect of 1910's British slang has been fun and challenging...this battle sequence has been like giving birth.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ermmm........ please don't take this the wrong way but.... make sure you get the details right cos if you don't, you will get blasted. Especially as you're American......

The reason being, Hollywood has stripped our history from us over time and a lot of Brits are pretty sick of it.

So yeah, we get very pedantic about this stuff. Really, really pedantic.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
And...

rightly so. There is a mass of original documents and released govt files about WW1 all easily accessible and so no need for any author to mess up the facts Hollywood style.

And yes, BigWords as a member of the Commonwealth as it now is I do know. We Kiwis took part with our Maori Battalions.

I get very tired of Americans who say England meaning Britain. They are usually the ones who think NZ is part of Australia. Sigh!

Last edited:

emmyshimmy

Registered
Reaction score
Ermmm........ please don't take this the wrong way but.... make sure you get the details right cos if you don't, you will get blasted. Especially as you're American......

The reason being, Hollywood has stripped our history from us over time and a lot of Brits are pretty sick of it.

That's why I am here seeking help. The scene is not that long, but I want to be as correct as possible. In America WW1 doesn't exist. We are taught-Germans pissed everyone off, some Austrian got shot, we don't care, then they sunk our boat, we storm in, we won the war-the end. It's BS. I realize as I was not there and now anyone who was has gone on, the best I can do is not offend anyone.

If anyone cares to see this scene I have a first draft I'd be willing to share for help/critical feedback. PM if interested (as I don't want to clog up the board with a first draft).

emmyshimmy

Registered
Reaction score
PS. Mirandashell, PDR, and others-I wish I was a citizen of the Empire still... can we give the colonies back, please?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Fair play to you for trying to get it right then.

Might be better to stick it up in SYW with a link to this thread. You'll get more opinions that way.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
In America WW1 doesn't exist. We are taught-Germans pissed everyone off, some Austrian got shot, we don't care, then they sunk our boat, we storm in, we won the war-the end. It's BS. I realize as I was not there and now anyone who was has gone on, the best I can do is not offend anyone.

Not sure what you were taught, but I'm American and was taught, in high school, a whole lot more about what actually happened, including the fact that while we helped, we certainly didn't win it.

As far as the original question is concerned, why can't he be trying to make his way to "the field hospital"? Why does it have to be a particular town or city?