How To Kill A Tree

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Alrighty folks here is my rather strange question. In my WIP I need to kill off an orange tree. (Toldja it was weird) The MC digs up the orange tree and takes it to another location, planning on re-planting it. I need the tree to be dead/dying before it gets re-planted. So if the MC, when digging it up, accidentally cut off a large chunk of the roots, could that kill the plant? How fast? And if it wouldn't then what are some other accidental ways to kill a plant when moving it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Well.... Depends on several things. Degree of injury to the tree, for one; and weather/climatic conditions, for another. Most full-sized trees don't like to be moved--the bigger the tree, the more stress involved. That said, tree death isn't usually immediate. It can take over a year for the tree to slowly give up.

Now, if there's injury to main roots, and the tree is replanted in hostile soil--let's say, heavy clay when it prefers sandy loam, and you try to replant it in the high heat of summer in blistering winds without enough water, you can kill it pretty quickly. A few days of such treatment is likely to prove irreparable, even though tree death may not be complete for several weeks.

Any faster than that, and I'd say you'd have to poison it, or cut it down altogether.

(Unless somebody here is better at killing trees than I am. ;))

Last edited:

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...the tree in my book is actually kind of like a dryad, so it's a person that shape-shifted into an orange tree, which makes the circumstances harder.

Would it be believable to have the dryad get severely dehydrated because of root damage combined with really hot weather and that's how it dies?

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Wikipedia on hamadryads

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamadryad

isn't too specific, but the idea is that if the tree dies, so does the hamadryad. Theoretically it wouldn't have to be from the same mechanism as the injury to the tree, but simply an overall weakening and finally loss of life force.

If it was a shifting, I'd guess I'd wonder why they couldn't just shift back again. But I'm not into paranormal, so I could about believe anything in that regard (in the context of the novel, that is).

Is your character a spirit/essence connected to the tree, or is your character someone who has actually become a tree while retaining a more or less humanoid consciousness?

(Not that it probably matters, but the academic in me has to dissect everything. Even if we're talking about pseudo-mythology. Just because.) :)

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
lol no it's really helpful to disect this kind of stuff. Basically the book is full of were-people (you know people who can turn into whatever specific animal they want whenever they want although they can't always control it in scary situations, etc.).

Dryads are about the same except that they change into a plant instead of an animal, so it's a literal person that can shift into a tree. Although any long-term connection while in plant-form with a place will give the person an emotional attachment to the area, so theoretically "moving" would be just as taxing to the dryad as it would be to its normal plant equivalent. So I'm trying to find a way where the dryad could die accidentally through damage to the tree that would transfer over to when she shifts back into human form, which is why I'm leaning more towards dehydration as the ultimate cause of death.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
If you leave an air pocket by the roots they'll rot and the plant will die. You could have her transform into a human with severe gangrene. :evil

Otherwise, if the tree's dug up and the roots are exposed to frost, that'll kill it (hypothermia).

If it's dug up and planted in the wrong kind of soil, it will die from lack of nutrients (malnutrition).

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The surest way I know of is to 'ring' the tree, ie remove a complete circle of bark. That prevents the tree transferring nutrients through the phloem, ie the innermost bark layer. It isn't fast, but most trees would struggle to replace so much bark while slowly starving.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Just set it up so that if the tree dies, everyone dies. Then let Murphy's law take over :)

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
You simply need to put the tree under my care--I have a black thumb and can accidentally kill any flora. :D

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, me too, Amy. I recently transplanted 2 lemon trees. One had some of its roots exposed to the air just a wee bit too long and now the sucker is dyin'. What really chaps me is it was the prettier of the two.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
lol thanks for answering guys! I actually really like the hypothermia idea Theo. Ringing the tree would be really effective too but I can't figure out a way someone could ring it accidentally without the dryad realizing, where as she may not realize the roots of the tree having frost on them until it's too late.

Thanks for all the help! I'll start handing out the reps :D

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
If...

you want to ringbark the tree have it dug up and left for a little while in a bucket or somewhere, and the rabbits or a deer will cheerfully come and ringbark it for you. Amazingly quickly too.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Salt water will do it, too. Where I am on the Cape, after we get a hurricane surge (salt water rushing up over and into the local neighborhoods) the salt water in the soil will kill a lot of ornamentals, flowers, small shrubs, etc. The indigenous vegetation might take a hit, but most of it bounces back. It's adapted to the occasional surge.

But if some nasty being watered her with salty water, or some other all-powerful being caused a brief salt water surge during a storm (is this near the coast?) then it would probably die.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
The place is near the coast so that could also work...but I think I'm leaning more towards the frost simply because there's no cause really because a main point is that the MC blames himself. But there is this whole war going on so that is an extremely useful piece of information on how to kill trees. Along with the copper...instead of machine gun they could just have nail guns. Thanks everyone, I'm making notes of all the suggestions here just in case they come in handy later!

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
Not digging up a big enough root ball, or knocking too much dirt off the roots, not enough water or too much water after transplanting. Actually it's easier to kill a good-sized tree than to keep it alive.