Hairstyle description help?

MostlyMisha

Just starting out~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is actually the right place to ask this question, I apologize if it is not. ^^;

I have a character whose hairstyle I'd like to be somewhat like this:
Mathias.jpg

However, I have NO idea how something like this would be described? Half-up, half-down with a loose tie at the bottom and long bangs? I just... *sigh* any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It's a very carefully arranged and moussed up-and-down, insouciant style caught in a loose ponytail, made to look like flowing fabric and to look careless, natural and unforced, but in reality about as spontaneous and carefree as a Kabuki play.

In practical terms, the very top of the hair is pulled round the back, there are sort of layered long wisps framing the face (and they have to be moussed to spring up at the roots like that), and the rest of the hair is caught in a sort of falling-out ponytail in a ring.

For my two cents.

MostlyMisha

Just starting out~
Registered
Reaction score
It's a very carefully arranged and moussed up-and-down, insouciant style caught in a loose ponytail, made to look like flowing fabric and to look careless, natural and unforced, but in reality about as spontaneous and carefree as a Kabuki play.

In practical terms, the very top of the hair is pulled round the back, there are sort of layered long wisps framing the face (and they have to be moussed to spring up at the roots like that), and the rest of the hair is caught in a sort of falling-out ponytail in a ring.

For my two cents.

Wow... your two cents is amazingly helpful and well described! Thank you so very much! This was really a huge help. *hug*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll also note that it's hardly ever necessary for your reader to see your character's hairstyle as you do. Alessandra's description is excellent, but if I came across it in a novel, I'd skim over it, registering almost none of it, because unless it matters to the plot, who cares what a character has done to his or her hair? Especially if that character is the POV character.

Maryn, whose hair never cooperates that much

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'll also note that it's hardly ever necessary for your reader to see your character's hairstyle as you do. Alessandra's description is excellent, but if I came across it in a novel, I'd skim over it,

True, I would too. But if, as a character note, you said something like : artfully messy, trying very hard to appear casual but in reality it was as spontaneous as...'insert whatever'
Or somesuch. Only better :D

That would make a point about the character (works hard to look casual, like a guy I know who spends half an hour making his hair look 'sexily bedhead'), without being over long.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Long, with ponytails set just below shoulder-level. And that's more than I'd use. :D

(I'm very sparse when it comes to description.)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I should be honest here and say I'm not a writer. My description was based on observation, and even I would probably glaze over if I ran across it in a work of fiction. It's meant as an analysis for the author's benefit, not literally how to write about it.

Bracken

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the poster who questions the wisdom of a detailed description of a hairdo.
If you must, I'd vote for "artfully messy", as the other poster suggested.
If that's not enough, perhaps amplify that to, "partially pulled back in an artfully messy ponytail, with a few strands escaping to frame his face..."
Even that seems like way, way too much, though.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
"Shock of hair."

*giggles*

Ok, don't use that. Use as few words here. I'm thinking "long locks flowing over the shoulder" or "long locks, bound and brought out to the front."

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Her hair came nearly to her waist, cinched low, with strands around her face torn loose by the Venutian winds.

If she's not on Venus, you know, change that part :D :D

MostlyMisha

Just starting out~
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input! I truly appreciate you taking the time to help!

I think I should probably make it clear that I wasn't actually looking to put a description of his hairstyle into my writing. I've read a lot of articles and books over the last few months that support what everyone said about giving such details and character POV about these things.
As an avid reader myself~ I have to agree I'd feel the same if I was reading a novel that contained them. It's really nice that you all came to my rescue to make sure I don't make such a mistake, thank you!

I'm actually trying to fill out his character profile sheet and when I got to the hairstyle part~ I went blank. So it really just makes me feel better in my notes to have it there. Just a personal reference because I'd like to know. ^^

True, I would too. But if, as a character note, you said something like : artfully messy, trying very hard to appear casual but in reality it was as spontaneous as...'insert whatever'
Or somesuch. Only better :D

That would make a point about the character (works hard to look casual, like a guy I know who spends half an hour making his hair look 'sexily bedhead'), without being over long.

Ah, that's very good! And very true about my character. Thank you for your input! *hug*

I should be honest here and say I'm not a writer. My description was based on observation, and even I would probably glaze over if I ran across it in a work of fiction. It's meant as an analysis for the author's benefit, not literally how to write about it.

I absolutely understood that. And still love your post~<3 Because even if I never describe his hair in detail in my writing it was bothering me that I just can't describe it! So thank you again!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that any character profile sheet which has a slot for hairstyle has other flaws as well. You might seek one that's more about character and less about grooming. It almost never matters if your reader envisions the character just like you do.

Maryn, whose hair is held on top of her head by a bent and corroded brass barrette, but sags to one side due to its weight, length, and dampness

MostlyMisha

Just starting out~
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that any character profile sheet which has a slot for hairstyle has other flaws as well. You might seek one that's more about character and less about grooming. It almost never matters if your reader envisions the character just like you do.

Maryn, whose hair is held on top of her head by a bent and corroded brass barrette, but sags to one side due to its weight, length, and dampness

I've looked at a lot of character sheets and settled on one that happens to be quite long. It has a lot of questions in each section~ including the appearance one. It still has all the basic questions I seemed to find on the other sheets~ so I think it's okay?
I just thought it'd be fun to see how much I know about my character by filling out as many blanks on this one as possible, despite what will make it into my writings. :)