PDA

View Full Version : Captain America - Movie

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Gawd, I hate starting threads.

But I really enjoyed this. Didn't love it, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Admission: I am not a comic book fan. I am a tv child, so I know Captain America from the Saturday Morning cartoons of my childhood ("When Captain America throws his mighty shield...", etc.).

I was worried that the skinny Steve Rogers would be in the Uncanny Valley alongside Benjamin Button, but it was actually quite convincing.

The Red Skull was very Wagnerian, so that also worked for me. Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci and Dominic Coopwer were great. Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell were ok. The plot was incredibly simple and straightforward which I found megarefreshing.

Zoombie
07-24-2011, 06:45 AM
My questionare for people who might want to see this movie.

"Did you see the Rocketeer?"
"The what?"
"Watch the Rocketeer."

Then I wait for them to watch the Rocketeer.

Then I say, "Did you like that?"

If they say yes, then i suggest they see Captain America.

If they say no, I shoot them.

Jake Barnes
07-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Spoliers hidden. Cap is too passive. At the beginning he wants something (be in the Army) and he goes after it. But when he becomes a super soldier, he lets people tell him what to do and he becomes a bond salesman! They could've handled this better with him going up the chain of command, trying to get a combat role, going all the way to FDR and being turned down all the way. The scene in front of the troops should have been much more humiliating. They could've had a comic come out and make jokes about the "pretend soldier" right in front of him. When he goes into battle, he should stow away on a plane and then parachute out even though he doesn't know how to use a parachute; instead he relies on others to get him into battle. The relationship with Bucky should've been beefed up, make them brothers or something. That should've been the central relationship rather than Carter (that character seemed phony). Also, the ending lacked suspense as he passively flies the plane into an ice floe. He should've been battling the Red Skull the whole way.

That's my two cents.

Manuel Royal
07-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Just saw it; liked it a lot. True to the character, and a real movie, not just a set-up prequel for The Avengers.

Always liked Cap, because: 1) Rather than having an arbitrary magical superpower, he represented the peak of human potential; 2) His patriotism was based on principles, not just nationalism; 3) His essential characteristic is that he won't give up, ever, no matter how powerful his opponent; 4) I used to favor a round shield (gave up using them because of a shoulder problem).

Noticed two typewriters in the movie; both of them were model Royal KHM's, vintage 1934-1938. (For example, see my avatar.) Probably the same typewriter, since they were in separate scenes.

robeiae
07-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Best Cap monologuing ever, the end of the Korvac Saga:

You dropped your guard too soon, Mike! There's one of us left, one man. Or maybe you don't even count me, because I'm JUST a man? Hear that Mike? This is no GOD hitting you . . . no SUPER-MAN. Just a man! And you're an overblown, self-righteous, self-proclaimed deity who casually commits mass murder. No more Mike! This MAN won't let you.

Victoria
07-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Saw it. Loved it. Want more of it. I thought the characters were great, and the humor wasn't forced. What I liked most about Captain America's character was his conviction, his absolute refusal to quit. He was brave and selfless before he was super charged. Oh, and his innate bumbling innocence didn't evaporate with his small frame. The only thing I would have liked to have seen was a more imaginative plot, but the high points definitely outshone the lows.

Diana Hignutt
07-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Loved it. The nostalagia factor seeing Cap was far greater than i expected. Frankly, I met all of the Avengers in Dynamite or some such young childrens mag you bought at school back in the day. Thor, Iron Man, Cap. And, of course, I remember Cap from the mid-seventies comic books I couldn't resist.

Captain America is a straight-forward movie with the best and sweetest romance of the genre, the least conflicted hero, and a suitably sinister villain. I love how in a movie set in WWII Europe, we never see actual Nazis, just Hydra.

I've been a big Chris Evans fan since Sunshine.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-27-2011, 03:26 AM
I love how in a movie set in WWII Europe, we never see actual Nazis, just Hydra.Well, there are the three that come out to chastize Red Skull, but they are quickly vaporized.

KentWatson
07-27-2011, 03:37 AM
Hayley Atwell is a major star. This film cements it. She made the barely watchable "Pillars of the Earth" pleasurable in any scene she was in - and that was despite some horrible direction.

This is the first time I've seen Hugo Weaving in a role that undercut his skill.

The film dragged in the summary sequences of all the WW2 adventures of the Cap and his team, but came back to life when Chris Evans could do more than just action shots. He captured the Captain very well and should get some recognition for a job well done. I wouldn't rate it more than 3.5 stars though, better than Thor, on par with Iron Man 2 and Spider Man 3.

MttStrn
07-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Just got back from it. Very impressed overall. I was very leery of Chris Evans as Steve Rogers but he pulls it off. Loved the quick shot of the original Human Torch at the Worlds Fair scene. I was one of the few people laughing in the theater when that came up.

nighttimer
07-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Best Cap monologuing ever, the end of the Korvac Saga:

You dropped your guard too soon, Mike! There's one of us left, one man. Or maybe you don't even count me, because I'm JUST a man? Hear that Mike? This is no GOD hitting you . . . no SUPER-MAN. Just a man! And you're an overblown, self-righteous, self-proclaimed deity who casually commits mass murder. No more Mike! This MAN won't let you.

Oooo...that is a good one. Reminds me of the time when Cap took on an Infinty Gauntlet wearing Thanos without a moment's hesitation even though he knew the Mad Titan could turn him into a greasy stain without busting a sweat.

But I'm gonna go with the little object lesson Captain America gave Spider-Man during the otherwise forgettable "Civil War" where he tells the wall-crawler:

Doesn’t matter what the press says. Doesn’t matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn’t matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—“no, you move.” (Amazing Spider-Man #537, December 2006, written by J. Michael Straczynski)
Now that's a super hero.

As regards the movie, it was a bit busy, but I went with my wife and kids and we ALL dug the hell out of it. Chris Evans took a big step up after those god-awful Fantastic Four flicks and Haley Atwell makes me glad to be a heterosexual.

It's not perfect, but along with Thor and X-Men: First Class, Marvel is three-for-three this year (sorry Green Lantern).

Manuel Royal
07-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Just got back from it. Very impressed overall. I was very leery of Chris Evans as Steve Rogers but he pulls it off. Loved the quick shot of the original Human Torch at the Worlds Fair scene. I was one of the few people laughing in the theater when that came up.Me too; damn, forgot to explain that to my girlfriend.

Zoombie
07-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I actually didn't even recognize Chris Evans as that douchebag from the Fantastic Four movies.

That's how much good writing and directing does, I guess.

Or how much bad writing and directing detracts.

The Unseen Moon
07-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Captain America IS NOT THE FIRST AVENGER!

The first Avengers were Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, Ant Man, and The Incredible Hulk.

pbook
07-29-2011, 09:31 PM
It was a 8.5 on a 10 scale for me.

I wanna be captain America :|

Shadow_Ferret
08-14-2011, 02:01 AM
THAT WAS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVAH!!!!

Captain America IS NOT THE FIRST AVENGER!

The first Avengers were Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, Ant Man, and The Incredible Hulk.

I think they mean First as in Captain America was around kicking bad guy ass long before any of them ... well, OK, Thor is immortal, but he didn't become a superhero until Odin banished him to Earth ... were born.

Deirdre
08-14-2011, 02:13 AM
I actually didn't even recognize Chris Evans as that douchebag from the Fantastic Four movies.

He definitely seems to have a comic book thing going. He was one of the evil exes in Scott Pilgrim.

My favorite of his movies is Push, though.

Mann Crux
08-14-2011, 02:19 AM
My questionare for people who might want to see this movie.

"Did you see the Rocketeer?"
"The what?"
"Watch the Rocketeer."

Then I wait for them to watch the Rocketeer.

Then I say, "Did you like that?"

If they say yes, then i suggest they see Captain America.

If they say no, I shoot them.

I quite agree. The moment I learned that the director behind Rocketeer was doing this, Captain American pretty much became a definite watch for me.

Marvel really seem to have gotten their game together for the most part. Wish I could say the same of DC. Hopefully they can get Superman right this time.

cherita
08-14-2011, 02:21 AM
He definitely seems to have a comic book thing going. He was one of the evil exes in Scott Pilgrim.

My favorite of his movies is Push, though.

He was in The Losers too...

Vince524
11-26-2011, 08:25 PM
I just saw it last night. Loved it.

Just a boy from Brooklyn!! Me too!!

SirTysonius
12-12-2011, 10:48 AM
I saw it in 3D. The only part that used it well was when he threw his shield towards the audience. That one scene made the extra $5 worth it.