• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

[Science Fiction/Fantasy] Beta needed for complete draft, 85,000 words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Looking for: I'm looking for someone who can keep track of plot points, find plot holes, and whip me on my lack of setting. Also someone who is good at pacing out stories and isn't shy at saying that a plot twist sucks. I need someone who is harsh, but also has good ideas on how to fix it. It would be line by line edits. And I need someone really sharp, won't hold back and make the book look like the red sea with comments, if necessary.

The book itself is pretty clean. It's been through the wringer at least a few times. But I know that it's missing things still, but since I've seen it so many times I've gone blind. It's not a n00b effort.

Summary: Henry, a wannabe space cowboy, and Launye, an ex-witch cursed as a fairy, solve the multiverse's magic problems with their band of outlaws.

Disclaimers: The book doesn't have hardcore gore or sex in it. However, while I'm super PC, the characters are not. (They do get punished for out of line remarks.) That given, there is swearing, sexual innuendo, religious parody, LGB characters, giant god squirrels, zombie vampire cats, and a few semi-tasteful race jokes. If you are likely to feel offended, you probably will be... Oh and the characters aren't exactly likable, but I hope they are interesting. Also the novel reads episodic, in case people don't like that (With an overarching plotline).

I'm willing to swap for a similar-sized work. But I'll only swap when we're both done with the critiquing. Hit and runs aren't my style.

Things I read: I'm the type that likes story-driven. So a great premise, dynamic characters and interesting events working together in a setting. Everything that defines a story driving the other.

I'll read Science Fiction and Fantasy. But leave the orphan farm boy at the door. I also tend to shy away from Paranormal Fantasy (Vamp, werewolves, etc.), Medieval European Fantasy, boy/man and his sword killing stuff fantasy. I slightly prefer female protagonists, especially if it defeats the woman must make up for men being strong by being Xena, and the girl being rescued from the tower schema. Especially if the protagonist is older. I tend to like socially-oriented Science fiction and dense world building without the info dump. (I add points if the culture is built to cultural anthro standards.) I have an interest in PoC characters as well and can help in that area.

I also read women's lit if it doesn't involve a game of how many men she can sleep with in a month, and what shoes she will wear today. (More oriented towards issues that women care about and how women survive in the world). Also historical fiction outside of Europe, though I'm game for fantasy regency stuff.

PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.