Can you help me understand?

Samuel Dark

Registered
Reaction score
All right -- I am not trying ro advertise for this band. But, I did buy their cd 'The Art of Breaking', and their title track is just cool. But like most of Thousand Foot Krutch's (TFK) lyrics -- The Art of Breaking (the song) isn't easy to understand.

So...question? Can anyone, by either listening (on their site u can listen to some of their songs -- and this song is one of those -- or just by reading the lyrics, tell me what you think this song means? The best I can imagine, it has to do with relationship problems -- its the beggining on that song that makes me believe that.

And as a poet, this is a little heart breaking (hehe) that I can't figure this song out! Its why I am going to other poets -- maybe you guys can help me out.

(lyrics)
Thousand Foot Krutch - The Art Of Breaking Lyrics
Every time I call you on the phone
I listen to it ring but no one's home
I can't explain the energy that
You give me when I'm left here alone
And every time I pass you on the street
You won't even turn and look at me
I never would of thought that things could
Go this far but please believe me
I'll pick you up, won't let you fall
I'll build your trust and it won't hurt at all,
Your only drug will let you down,
I'm through now, so take me and blow me away

[Chorus]
When I feel numb I'll let you know,
I won't become what I was before,
You cannot kill what's not your creation,
This is the Art of Breaking

I think I might just lose my mind
If I have to watch this one more time
I can't explain how many times i've
Stayed for you when you were on my mind
No one ever said that it was easy
So come out of the cold and stop your bleeding
I never would of thought that things could
Go this far, but please believe me
Are you gonna run away, and leave me here alone?
Are you gonna run away, and leave me here?

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... my best guess would be that it's about a guy going through the breakup blues.

It sounds like he can't wrap his mind around the fact that it's really over and still hopes to get back together (wants to work things out) but it seems like she's made up her mind. He feels she's "running away" from their love and should stay and fight for it. He seems to think the girl is going in the wrong direction and is aching for her to come back to the fold.

Just my guess, of course...

Samuel Dark

Registered
Reaction score
brokenfingers said:
Hmm... my best guess would be that it's about a guy going through the breakup blues.

It sounds like he can't wrap his mind around the fact that it's really over and still hopes to get back together (wants to work things out) but it seems like she's made up her mind. He feels she's "running away" from their love and should stay and fight for it. He seems to think the girl is going in the wrong direction and is aching for her to come back to the fold.

Just my guess, of course...

Thats what I thought, but if you listen (or read) more into it...this is what you get:
"Your only drug will let you down..."
What does that have to do with 'the blues' as u describe it?
And then the chorus,
"When I feel numb, I'll let you know, I wont become what I was before,
You can not kill, whats not your creation....this is the art of breaking..."
That right there is another phrase that gets me all mixed up. A friend listned to the song, and she said that reminded her of abortion...because she always says to people that abostion is wrong because you can not kill whats not your creation. And that got my head a spinnin'.

But I could just be thinking too much into it, who knows? I don't know...Great song, even still.

clarity_jane

The Punk Prophet
Registered
Reaction score
After reading through the lyrics i believe it is a break up song, but not the break up of lovers I think the guy is breaking up with an addiction of some sort.

What do you think?

Clarity

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
my 2 cents

sounds like ice, snow, meth, coke.......torn between two lovers........a real love and an addiction......many people lose there capacity to connect (the phone) with people and human relationships because of their drug addictions. They often blame others for their inabilities to do anything about it. They also want other people to rescue them...the final "fall off the edge" is despondency and hopelessness and they just give into it and are the walking dead.

fatalism is addictive

staring in the "black hole" is addictive

life is a freedom fight alot of people just don't want to engage in.

death and giving up is easier and therefore more appealing, especially for the young, unfortunately.

Samuel Dark

Registered
Reaction score
Wow...I am such an idiot. Really. Wow. It makes since, I am listen to the song now, and I can see in every word and see that is what it means. At least it makes since. :-D Thanks guys.