Rich people who manipulate

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
****FIRST LET ME SAY THAT I KNOW NOT ONLY RICH PEOPLE MANIPULATE. lol People kept bringing that up, so I'm editing my opening post. I realize that poor people manipulate, but the point is that the richer you are, the more resources you've got. And my male MC's family was rich, his father a master manipulator. That explained, I beg of you, don't bring this up again. LOL *****

OK, I know that immediately probably struck you funny. Please don't be offended if you're rich- I know that not all rich people are snobs or manipulate the system. lol

The issue I'm having is this- my male MC in my story is from a very rich family- his father being the CEO of a major medical supply company. His father is the stereotypical, control-freak, super rich guy and began sharing with his son (Dan) at a very young age how to manipulate, get what he wants, etc, etc.

Dan doesn't pull these tricks any longer. Mostly I don't even expound on what they are, I just hint that this stuff is in his background.

Mostly I don't expound on it because it can come across so cheesy and TVish.

I think for the most part, I want to leave this to the reader's imagination...but there are times when something needs to come to a head. He might be tempted to pull some tricks out of his pocket, etc.

I don't have specific scenario to give you now- except maybe to ask how he could intimidate someone in a round about way. Mess with their mind, etc, etc, without anyone being able to prove anything against him.

Also, let me know what you think of mostly leaving this to the imagination. Wise? Or not?

Thanks in advance.

Jen

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking for examples of tricks?

My boyfriend was a waiter for a big company owner (y'all would know the company) as he stole the tip his dinner companion left for my guy on credit card :D :D

And the restaurant owner let my boyfriend ask both parties if there weren't some mistake! So busted.

Anyway, are you looking for general asshattery like that or more business-specific stuff?

I think examples would be nice in a story. It's certainly interesting enough that it gets tongues wagging in real life, so readers would probably be interested, too, imho.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Are you somehow under the impression that only the rich manipulate either the system or other people?

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
(Lil, the OP did answer your concern in her first line actually :))

Jennie, not sure if this works at all for your story, but one favorite 'sport' of a wealthy man I know (not by choice) is to game the courts - basically, he amuses himself by filing frivolous litigation against people who can't afford to defend themselves. Once their lives are good and ruined, he moves on to a new target. I wish I was exaggerating. Yes, he really is that much of a soulless shell of a former human. He's old, his wife hates him, this is how he amuses himself. He calls litigation 'The new sport of kings'.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey JR,

I'm with Lil on this one. I don't think the rich have a monopoly on manipulation. If you know what I mean? And I hope you do because my argument is based in the sober part of brain. I'm a tad disconnected from that part at that the minute.

Regards

Whacko

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, quick post and I'll be back soon- no, I realize poor people manipulate but the rich are more capable of finding things out and getting what they want.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
When you say no proof, are you excluding conversations? In other words, can he directly verbally threaten the person he wants to intimidate and things like that? Or do you mean that he looks totally clean to everyone?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Are you somehow under the impression that only the rich manipulate either the system or other people?
No, the OP only said that NOT ALL rich people manipulate the system. That's not the same as saying that ONLY the rich manipulate the system:
OK, I know that immediately probably struck you funny. Please don't be offended if you're rich- I know that not all rich people are snobs or manipulate the system. lol

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

Jennie, not sure if this works at all for your story, but one favorite 'sport' of a wealthy man I know (not by choice) is to game the courts - basically, he amuses himself by filing frivolous litigation against people who can't afford to defend themselves. Once their lives are good and ruined, he moves on to a new target. I wish I was exaggerating. Yes, he really is that much of a soulless shell of a former human. He's old, his wife hates him, this is how he amuses himself. He calls litigation 'The new sport of kings'.
There's a legal term for people who do that. Maybe one day his name might show up here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexatious_litigation#Notable_vexatious_litigants
On the other hand, he's probably not so big-time as to be "notable" enough for Wikipedia.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
To get to the question:
The issue I'm having is this- my male MC in my story is from a very rich family- his father being the CEO of a major medical supply company. His father is the stereotypical, control-freak, super rich guy and began sharing with his son (Dan) at a very young age how to manipulate, get what he wants, etc, etc.

Dan doesn't pull these tricks any longer. Mostly I don't even expound on what they are, I just hint that this stuff is in his background.

Mostly I don't expound on it because it can come across so cheesy and TVish.

I think for the most part, I want to leave this to the reader's imagination...but there are times when something needs to come to a head. He might be tempted to pull some tricks out of his pocket, etc.

I don't have specific scenario to give you now- except maybe to ask how he could intimidate someone in a round about way. Mess with their mind, etc, etc, without anyone being able to prove anything against him.
This, especially the last paragraph, is called gaslighting, and no you certainly don't have to be rich to do it.

dreamcatcher

Registered
Reaction score
I realise this is probably not the direction you're looking for, but one of my grandmother's husbands was very, very rich and he somehow managed to manipulate those he met by basically pretending he was a pauper. Picture this: an old man riddled with polio and confined to a wheelchair, wearing second hand clothing, is actually a multi-millionaire. I recall the one and only present he ever gave us kids was from an op shop. Heh.

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
OK. I gotta say something here, because I'm really disappointed. I made it clear that no, I do not think *only* rich people manipulate. Why is it more important to quibble over words than to just answer the question?

Sorry, but I asked a question and wish we could stay focused on that instead of engaging in somewhat of a debate over what I think about rich/poor people and who exactly it is that manipulates. That's not what this thread is about.

That said, I'm going on to answer other posters and plan to ignore any other questions that suggest I don't know the facts about which people manipulate. lol

No hard feelings, but please, let's just move on.

Last edited:

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
When you say no proof, are you excluding conversations? In other words, can he directly verbally threaten the person he wants to intimidate and things like that? Or do you mean that he looks totally clean to everyone?

Hey, backslash- no, he wouldn't directly threaten. He'd do it in a round about way- say something that only the other person would understand and would have a difficult time proving that any threats were made.

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score

Raburrel, that sounds like a real jerk. :S But these guys wouldn't prosecute just for fun. They actually want something out of what they're doing. The father would be more likely to pull stunts like this, but my MC, Dan, would save nasty stuff for people who really deserve it- the "bad guys" lol.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is how to have him threaten someone in a round about way- as a teacher, too!!- and no one be able to prove anything. And how can I pull it off without it looking too cheesy or TVish?

(and remember, folks- yes, I know rich people aren't the only ones who do this. The point is his family is rich and his father has many resources at his fingertips to get what he wants and he's passed that info on to his son. lol)

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking for examples of tricks?

My boyfriend was a waiter for a big company owner (y'all would know the company) as he stole the tip his dinner companion left for my guy on credit card :D :D

And the restaurant owner let my boyfriend ask both parties if there weren't some mistake! So busted.

Anyway, are you looking for general asshattery like that or more business-specific stuff?

I think examples would be nice in a story. It's certainly interesting enough that it gets tongues wagging in real life, so readers would probably be interested, too, imho.

Oh, I'm looking for both. I'm sure some of the small-potatoes games are played just for the sheer fun of the power trip, but I'd like an example of business stuff, too. Dan wouldn't pull any of the business stuff but it would help to provide an example as he's thinking of his father.

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
I would link manipulation to intelligence and Machiavellianism, not their financial situation.

There may be a positive correlation between intelligence and salary, but I've met extremely manipulative people from all walks of life.

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
I would link manipulation to intelligence and Machiavellianism, not their financial situation.

There may be a positive correlation between intelligence and salary, but I've met extremely manipulative people from all walks of life.

Becca, I like you..so far you've struck me as kind, helpful and intelligent. But I've had to edit my opening post now because of several comments like this.

Thanks for your input.

Jen

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
There's a legal term for people who do that. Maybe one day his name might show up here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexatious_litigation#Notable_vexatious_litigants
On the other hand, he's probably not so big-time as to be "notable" enough for Wikipedia.

Yeah, my boss (one of the guys he sued) actually did get the lawsuit dismissed on precisely this grounds. He's a 'name' (eta: or at least I'm pretty sure that was the grounds. Something like that anyhow. He has to get 'permission' to sue in the future)

Jennie, I'm sorry for the response you've gotten here from a few people - it was clear to me at least that you had no axe to grind with a generic class of people. Anyhow, to that end, maybe the answer lies in the characters themselves? I don't really have enough info to go on from what you've posted here, but I'd say start by figuring out what the one truly important, very specific thing is to the guy who's getting screwed. (reputation, love, a job, whatever) That is what the screw-er is going to want to take away, and if it requires money to do it, that's what he'll use. Lie, cheat, bribe, steal - again, it comes down to the character of your antagonist. Decide what he's willing to do. :)

HTH

Last edited:

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
Becca, I like you..so far you've struck me as kind, helpful and intelligent. But I've had to edit my opening post now because of several comments like this.

Thanks for your input.

Jen

I wasn't intending to be critical or judgmental, Jen, just contributing. All I believe is that manipulation isn't related to money, especially because I've just kicked an extremely manipulative asshole out of my life - and he's far from wealthy. And his attempted manipulation wasn't just for financial gain, either.

So all I'm saying is don't necessarily base his wealthy background on his ability to manipulate. It's more of a personality trait.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
From my experience with a few rich folks in my family, they use money more subtly to manipulate. In my opinion, the subtle manipulation is worse than the in your face screwing.

For instance:

If you go to X college we'll pay your way, give you a large monthly allowance and buy you a car. If you go to the college you want, Y college you're on your own. (both X and Y college are academically equal)

We'd like to donate tons of money to your organization so that you'll name Z after ________ (unscrupulous person)

My treat.
Save your money.
Let me pay for that.
Here's a nice gift that you could never afford.
I need you to do ________ (unscrupulous thing.)
Your the only one I trust to do ______________. How's your ______ (expensive gift that was previously given.)
~~~~~~~~~

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
So all I'm saying is don't necessarily base his wealthy background on his ability to manipulate. It's more of a personality trait.

Yes, the money is merely a tool of manipulation that wealthy people have at their disposal and non wealthy people don't.

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't intending to be critical or judgmental, Jen, just contributing. All I believe is that manipulation isn't related to money, especially because I've just kicked an extremely manipulative asshole out of my life - and he's far from wealthy. And his attempted manipulation wasn't just for financial gain, either.

Got ya! Good point. It used to be part of him, but he's changed and could not, in good conscience, pull it off well.

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, my boss (one of the guys he sued) actually did get the lawsuit dismissed on precisely this grounds. He's a 'name' (eta: or at least I'm pretty sure that was the grounds. Something like that anyhow. He has to get 'permission' to sue in the future)

Jennie, I'm sorry for the response you've gotten here from a few people - it was clear to me at least that you had no axe to grind with a generic class of people. Anyhow, to that end, maybe the answer lies in the characters themselves? I don't really have enough info to go on from what you've posted here, but I'd say start by figuring out what the one truly important, very specific thing is to the guy who's getting screwed. (reputation, love, a job, whatever) That is what the screw-er is going to want to take away, and if it requires money to do it, that's what he'll use. Lie, cheat, bribe, steal - again, it comes down to the character of your antagonist. Decide what he's willing to do. :)

HTH

Hey, I'll get back to you in a bit- just wanted to acknowledge that I saw your post. :)

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
From my experience with a few rich folks in my family, they use money more subtly to manipulate. In my opinion, the subtle manipulation is worse than the in your face screwing.

For instance:

If you go to X college we'll pay your way, give you a large monthly allowance and buy you a car. If you go to the college you want, Y college you're on your own. (both X and Y college are academically equal)

We'd like to donate tons of money to your organization so that you'll name Z after ________ (unscrupulous person)

My treat.
Save your money.
Let me pay for that.
Here's a nice gift that you could never afford.
I need you to do ________ (unscrupulous thing.)
Your the only one I trust to do ______________. How's your ______ (expensive gift that was previously given.)
~~~~~~~~~

Yup, I've dealt with people like this- and they weren't exactly "rich," but pretty well off.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
OK, tell us about the dude he's threatening. Is he/she a business owner? Does reputation matter a lot in his/her life or profession? That sort of thing.

(I had a really rich, pissed man threaten me with towing my car that stalled off the street by his yard in the wee hours. As I was taking exams that morning, him having it towed would have worked out nicely, and I told him that, bwahaha :) I just didn't have time to do it myself before my exam!

It's all about the effectiveness of the threat, given the situation of the threatened.)