PDA

View Full Version : Vampire bats?

Escape Artist
07-23-2011, 01:00 AM
How do vampire bats keep from accidentally hurting themselves or other bats with those long, sharp teeth of theirs? Maybe I'm drawing too big of a human comparison here, but I keep thinking of how we as humans can, on occasion, bite our lip or the insides of our cheek on accident. As dull as our teeth are, it hurts like the dickens!

Any help would be appreciated!

dreamcatcher
07-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Curious question.

I've heard that generally when vampire bats bite prey, it doesn't hurt. They're that skilled.

In regard to biting cheeks - I believe the fact that our teeth are so dull is the reason it hurts so much. Sharper teeth equal faster incisions and means less pain (but perhaps more blood).

Bats are also less clumsy, despite such poor vision :)

And perhaps the fact that we bite ourselves is because we control all the muscles around our mouth, whereas animals generally do not, so their inner cheeks don't get in the way?

Cyia
07-23-2011, 11:53 AM
LoL, skill has nothing to do with it. Vampire bat bites don't hurt because their saliva has a natural anesthetic in it.

dreamcatcher
07-23-2011, 03:09 PM
I was playing it up a bit...

lbender
07-23-2011, 08:37 PM
LoL, skill has nothing to do with it. Vampire bat bites don't hurt because their saliva has a natural anesthetic in it.

Producing anesthetic is a skill in itself. I can't do it.

AmsterdamAssassin
07-24-2011, 02:20 AM
When do you stab yourself in the gums with a fork while eating?

druid12000
07-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Dude, their fangs project outside their mouths. They kill with them and drag their prey inside their mouths. How much cooler could that be?

BunnyMaz
07-24-2011, 04:12 AM
I thought vampire bats didn't kill and eat whole prey, but drank blood?

Cyia
07-24-2011, 04:19 AM
I thought vampire bats didn't kill and eat whole prey, but drank blood?

Exactly.

They prey on fairly large animals, such as cattle, and are usually never noticed.

Bartholomew
07-24-2011, 06:21 AM
And they're fuzzy wuzzy little wing-ed love-buddies! ^-^

frimble3
07-24-2011, 06:40 AM
Well, cats can lick people, play-bite, and chew at themselves without drawing blood and they have long, sharp teeth. Big cats, same thing. Sabre-toothed big cats are extinct, but they were around for a while, so presumably they didn't kill each other, or there would only have been one of them.
I don't know how they do it, but something obviously works. Maybe because they aren't trying to talk and eat?

Tsu Dho Nimh
07-28-2011, 10:21 PM
http://www.skullsite.co.uk/Vampire/vampire.htm

The two incisors - top center teeth - are outside the lower jaw. they are extremely sharp, so they don't cause much pain.

The bat bites and laps blood from the wound. The saliva is anticoagulant and also dilates the blood vessels near the bite to maximuze blood flow.