What I should do when I’m writing from oversea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kardien Lupus

I'm wolf. I want eat you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kardien.deviantart.com

It can be stupid question, but anyway I want to ask it. I’m writing in oversea and I want to make blueprint for my writing future. I searched AW but I can’t gather these good informations to my own plan. I have simple thought; live in AW, then write my stories, try to E Publish or send contact to agents. I want put reality to it but I’m beginner. I don’t know how I can give gravity to it.

[I deleted this middle paragraph because I think It give too personal information. Sorry my editing.] AW has many good trees but I have problem to see whole forest. Can you advise blueprint making for oversea people?

I think much thing changed after I find my own identity. I’m lesbian. I’m become more active person. I know local S.F-Fantasy library. I’m acting in library’s creating meeting. I know few friends who living in story making world but I want to find more people. I want to be writer. My aim is living with writing fee. But first I need make whole blue print.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
There is no blueprint. Some writers can get there in a very short time, and others take many years.

As has been said time and time again, read a lot and write every day. It's the only way to get there...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Write a great story. No, wait . . . write many great stories. That's what you should do. And I don't mean to sound flippant or stupid. That's the single thing you need to do.

And write those great stories in whatever language you are best at. You don't have to write in English. Many many many great writers write in other languages:

Gabriel García Marquez
Heinrich Böll
Kobo Abé
Georges Simenon
Milan Kundera
Stanislaw Lem
. . .

Great stories are great stories, regardless of the language in which they are initially written.

caw

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Maybe try writing in your native language and getting published in it...so you can build a following. It might open your translation possibilities up. It's great that you are finding yourself! Our best writing comes when we are being true to ourselves. Good luck!

Kardien Lupus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kardien.deviantart.com
Thank you.

There is no blueprint. Some writers can get there in a very short time, and others take many years.

As has been said time and time again, read a lot and write every day. It's the only way to get there...

Thanks. I'm worried that I'm stupid person who can't see whole forest while other esaily do. Thank you thothguard to break my worryness.

Write a great story. No, wait . . . write many great stories. That's what you should do. And I don't mean to sound flippant or stupid. That's the single thing you need to do.

And write those great stories in whatever language you are best at. You don't have to write in English. Many many many great writers write in other languages:

Gabriel García Marquez
Heinrich Böll
Kobo Abé
Georges Simenon
Milan Kundera
Stanislaw Lem
. . .

Great stories are great stories, regardless of the language in which they are initially written.

caw

I have reason and I like AW. Great, that is matter. :)

Maybe try writing in your native language and getting published in it...so you can build a following. It might open your translation possibilities up. It's great that you are finding yourself! Our best writing comes when we are being true to ourselves. Good luck!

Translation possibility is low; It isn't big.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'm not totally sure what you're asking. If you mean the admin side, being overseas isn't a big issue. Agents and publishers sign many writers in different countries. There are often tax form to fill in, but that comes later.

If you mean the English-learning side, it's hard to offer specific advice. Reading and writing in English is good practice, but it'd probably help to take some language courses too. Possibly there might be speakers of your first language in the international forum, who can offer advice on which courses are the most helpful.

starscape

Busy with a number of networks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leikkanen.wordpress.com
The agent-author seminar / writer's conference is also a problem for foreign authors.

I believe that agents and authors in different countries discuss different topics. You cannot expect Chinese agents/authors talk the same like American ones because the markets differ.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to write for the English speaking market I strongly suggest some language classes. Your English for being a second language is rather good but far from flawless. Writing for publication is far less forgiving.

I'll give an example and please don't take me for a total bitch.

It can might be stupid question, but anyway I want to ask it anyway. I’m writing in overseas and I want to make blueprint set goals (?)for my writing future. I searched through AW but I can’t gather these good informations to my own plan form a good plan on my own. I have a simple thought plan; live in on AW, then write my stories, then try to E Publish or send contact to agents. I want to put make it a reality, to it but I’m a beginner. I don’t know how I can give gravity to it make it happen (?).

I hope you succeed in your efforts but mastering the language is very important. I don't think I could ever write in another language, it takes far more effort than I'm willing to put into learning a language but hats off to you if you're willing to do it. It will take a lot of work to master the language and write artfully enough for publication but it can and has been done. It won't be an easy path though.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Listen to icerose. Your writing skills are likely fine in your native language, but they won't work for an English-speaking audience. I clicked over to your deviant art posting and had to struggle to make it through your first paragraph.

You're going to have to do extensive work on learning how to translate from your native language into English, and then taking "text book" English (the kind you learn when you take a class to learn how to speak a second language) and turning it into written English with a conversational flow to it.

Right now, your work won't get an agent's attention in any way that will help you, neither will an ebook do your career any favors. You have to get the basics down before you can build on them.

Jstwatchin

Where's my head?
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with KDC. I'm guessing not only is English a second language to you, but it also is not the language you use day-to-day. Right now, some of what is posted above looks like it has been translated by an auto-bot (google translate or babelfish). Bloom where you're planted. At the same time, hone your English language skills, if that is where you're aiming to do most of your publishing in the long run.

I wholeheartedly disagree with cyia here. Writing in a second language has nothing to do with translating. It is having a feel for the language and being very comfortable using it. I write in my second language, but never once have I translated the (fiction) writing I composed.

starscape

Busy with a number of networks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leikkanen.wordpress.com
it is also important to hire a native english speaker as your editor. alas, I used to think I could make it. but it took me too much time to polish the MS -.-

Kardien Lupus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kardien.deviantart.com
It is fine. I used terrible English before. I progress my English in recent few months. I’m still progressing. I wrote unreadable English before I wrote Overheating script. That story is one advance to me. I will keep learning. I will make well-polished sentence. Thank you to your advice. I know I need good English class.

Status
Not open for further replies.