Underage prostitution

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
In New York State, it's obviously illegal (I think) to pay for sex with someone under 18, but what happens to the minor soliciting sex when it's found out? Especially if that person has no parents? Are they taken to the police station too? Indicted? Juvvy?

Last edited:

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Details? I need a bit more than that. If they go to juvy, how long? In what circumstances would they not go?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
No, New York has a law on the books, children under 18 can't be prosecuted for prostitution because they can't legally consent. They'd essentially be the victim of a crime.

edit: as for what they'd do with them, they're treated like neglected children and get put into the welfare system.

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
In the United States, it's said that the average for entry into prostitution is thirteen. So underage prostitutes certainly exist and in pretty strong numbers.

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on if it's the person's first offense or not. Most of the time, the child will get put in foster care or something related to that, instead of juvie, because most of the children are forced there by not having a home, or sold into it by druggie parents, or tricked into it by pimps, etc. If someone keeps going around the system, then they can be in juvie anywhere from a few weeks to until they turn 18. (*This is just information I got from working w/ troubled teens and is about 10 yrs old, so things may have changed.)

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
In New York State, it's obviously illegal (I think) to pay for sex with someone under 18, but what happens to the minor soliciting sex when it's found out? Especially if that person has no parents? Are they taken to the police station too? Indicted? Juvvy?
Sometimes indicted. Sometimes sent to foster care or a group home if child protective services becomes involved. Age matters but since teen runaways usually don't carry true, valid ID, age can be difficult to determine. A 12 yo would be treated differently than a 17 yo (or rather a child who looks to be 12.) Younger teen sex-workers are seen as victims, not perps. There's a difference between a minor (under 18) and someone under the age of consent (which I believe is 16 in NY.)

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Consent is 17 in New York. But the child sex worker law protects anyone under 18.

Rob Lefebvre

Ass kicker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.throwthediceproductions.com
In New York, as well as every state excpet I think in some places in Nevada, it is illegal to pay for sex no matter what age either person may be. Also, I am not exactly sure what happens, but I assume they go to the police station, at least until a parent is located. I think with a lot of underage prostitution the kids end up going to foster care or some sort of home. I have a hard time imagining that they would be released to their parents, if they have any.