PDA

View Full Version : Name My Religion

Orianna2000
07-22-2011, 04:47 AM
I need a name for an old-fashioned religion that's from the future.

Originally, I was going with neo-Puritism, but several people suggested that I change that, since not all the aspects of this religious group match up with the tenets of Puritanism. Basically, I took elements of several different religious groups, like Puritans, Amish, Quakers, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons, and mixed them together with a dash of imagination.

Basically, they are isolationists and very strict. They have laws that govern sex (even within marriage), they limit physical touching, they require people to dress with extreme modesty. They don't celebrate holidays, they abstain from blood, but they don't use God's name. They have just enough clout that they can get away with the occasional stoning or flogging if someone breaks the law in a seriously major way. They rose in popularity during the 27th century, but then fell from grace during the 28th, until they all but vanished by the 29th century.

They live in villages, they call each other brethren, their leaders are minor elders and elders. They have prayer meetings daily and evening worship three times a week, plus a special sermon on Sunday.

I considered "Brethren" because that works really well, but there actually is a group that calls themselves that, and I don't want to step on any toes. I could make up a "founder" and call them after him, but there's always the chance of there being some tiny religion that's actually called that. Or of someone by that name objecting. I like the idea of maybe using a scriptural name, something like Jacobites or Israelites (only those are taken). Maybe something more obscure, like a minor prophet?

Any ideas or suggestions?

alleycat
07-22-2011, 04:58 AM
The Apostlites

The Followers or The Adherents

The Ecclesiatians (Ecclesiates means Book of the Teacher)

The Malachians (Malachi was one of the minor prophets)

I have no idea whether there are any groups that actually use these names.

JanelleRH
07-22-2011, 05:17 AM
Maybe a take off frrom Pharisees or the other that sounds like sad you see. sagasees?? Sorry my spelling is pretty bad sometimes spent 5 min and couldn't find it in the dictionary. Anywho the Pharisees were strict with the law. Unless you think that would offend the Jewish religion. I'm not sure if they still have Pharisees or not. sorry guess I'm not much help.

JanelleRH

Orianna2000
07-22-2011, 05:31 AM
Maybe a take off frrom Pharisees or the other that sounds like sad you see. sagasees?? Sorry my spelling is pretty bad sometimes spent 5 min and couldn't find it in the dictionary.
JanelleRH
I think you're talking about the Sadducees? According to Wikipedia, they're extinct, but it could still cause some insult to the Jews. Thanks, though.

The Malachians (Malachi was one of the minor prophets)

Ooh, the Malachites, maybe? It sounds familiar because of the stone, so maybe that would help the reader feel comfortable with the name. A quick Google search of the name turned up nothing significant, as far as religion goes, so maybe that would work. I'm still open to other ideas, but I do like the sound of it. Thanks!

Lavern08
07-22-2011, 06:14 PM
My suggestions:

The Remnant
Exodus II
Illumina

Orianna2000
07-22-2011, 06:24 PM
My suggestions:

The Remnant
Exodus II
Illumina

The Remnant could work, maybe. I'll give it some thought, thanks.

Norman D Gutter
07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Most of the Christian offshoots, both mainstream and heretical, have obtained their name either a) from the founder, or b) as a derogatory term based on something they did but which sticks and eventually is embraced by them.

Is there one person who stands out as a founder of that religion? Maybe work their name into it. Or can you create a derogatory term from the practice. "Methodist/Methodism" was a slap-in-the-face nickname that eventually became an accepted and admired term for the adherents.

Deb Kinnard
07-22-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm with Norman. Decide on a name for your mythical founder, i.e., if his name is Harry Potter (just kidding), your group would then become the Potterites.

Choose something else, though. Potterites sounds vaguely unclean and I can't even say why.

:evil