Parapets in London

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
From the research I've done, I found that there's a law in London that says modern roofs must have a parapet (or wall) that's at least 30" high, to prevent anyone from falling off accidentally.

Now, in looking at some pictures of a council estate in Roehampton, there doesn't appear to be such a safety wall. Could be an illusion, I suppose, but I'm just not seeing it. I know I've seen episodes of Torchwood (which, granted, are in Cardiff, not London, but presumably the laws would be similar) where someone is up on a roof and there's no railing or parapet of any kind.

So I'm a bit confused. How likely is it that a council estate building would have a parapet around the edge of the roof? Under what circumstances (if any) might it not have one?

I ask because I need to throw my main character from the roof and if there's a parapet, that's going to make my job much harder.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
1. The building could have been built before the law was enacted.
2. It's not a real building at all. It's a set.
3. The building could be outside the city limits of London, but within the metropolitain area, thus regulations could be different.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in south - London in a block of flats, we were always up on the 'flat' roof, the wall was about 2 feet high you could easily have fallen off.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
@Sarpedon: Thanks, but unfortunately, it's a real building and it's modern, therefore built long after the law was passed in the 18th century. Not sure if the estate would be outside the city limits or not, though. It's in Roehampton, in the borough of Wandsworth.

@Steve: That's interesting. So some places do have differing regulations. I wonder if I could get away with a much lower parapet, then, which she could stumble over when pushed. Thanks for the input.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
You're going by an 18 Century law? Yeah, don't do that. Since the 18th Century they've introduced these nifty things called Planning Regulations which govern what you can and cannot build. If there are any laws remaining, they will be unobserved throwbacks - it's all about the council's planning department these days. I think you're safe to have a lowish wall.

ETA Okay, I just went and looked it up for you. The minimum is 1100mm. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADK_1998.pdf is the Document regarding the regulations in England and Wales for protection from falling, collision and impact (and yes, I am a little worried it took me all of 5 minutes to find what you needed. You can take the girl off the building site...). The guarding chart is on p12.

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
@Theo: Thanks for finding that! I had to find a conversion calculator to translate mm into inches, and it looks like 43". That's definitely too high to stumble over. Guess I need to move this discussion to the sandbox, now, to get help in finding a way to throw her off the roof.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Not hard, push her up againstthe parapet, give her a shove about the shoulders and bob's your uncle, over she goes.
Thanks, but unfortunately, it's not that easy. The dude she's struggling with doesn't deliberately push her over, it needs to be an accident. And she can't tumble head first, she has to be able to grab onto the ledge, so she doesn't die.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but if I stumbled head first over a wall, I'd sure as hell grab the ledge. People do it all the time in the movies. It's harder to grab a ledge and hang on if you're falling backwards than if you're falling forwards.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I just couldn't picture her being able to grab the ledge if she went over head first. Her head and shoulders would go over, and if she grabbed the edge, she'd end up somersaulting and twisting her arms . . . at least, as near as I can imagine it. Never actually watched someone fall off a building before, so it's hard to picture in my head. Maybe I'll have to get an action figure and push it off the edge of my dresser, just to see what happens. :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
...or you could just, y'know, Google for videos of people falling. There are a few scenes from recent(ish) movies which have people falling off roofs.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Movies aren't a reliable source for what would actually happen.